Routers

Chairman

Looking to get a router and this was the best price I could find for the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (6th Generation). Can anyone beat this price?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983579-REG/apple_me918ll_a_airport_extreme_802_11ac_usa.html

I don't think B&H charges tax and free shipping. Anyone currently own this and can comment on its quality and reliability? I own an older model of the Apple Express and it works great and is super easy to set up.

Also, where is the best place to place the router? Downstairs next to the all the other media peripherals or in the master closet? I would guess downstairs in an open area vs a closed space such as a closet. Thanks all.

Get a nighthawk man. You've seen how thorough zero lot is, if that's what she got why would you get anything else?

qwerty said:
Get a nighthawk man. You've seen how thorough zero lot is, if that's what she got why would you get anything else?

LOL. I am a bit partial to Apple products and no longer have a PC. I will do a Google search on Nighthawk and see what reviews say. My last experience with a PC router was the blue and black Linksys router that everyone and their mom had. That thing was the biggest piece of shiz I ever dealt with.

Chairman said:
Looking to get a router and this was the best price I could find for the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (6th Generation). Can anyone beat this price?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983579-REG/apple_me918ll_a_airport_extreme_802_11ac_usa.html

I don't think B&H charges tax and free shipping. Anyone currently own this and can comment on its quality and reliability? I own an older model of the Apple Express and it works great and is super easy to set up.

Also, where is the best place to place the router? Downstairs next to the all the other media peripherals or in the master closet? I would guess downstairs in an open area vs a closed space such as a closet. Thanks all.

For me the closet.

If the nighthawk is that good, you might get Zerolot's wifi from where you lived.  That's see if ZeroLot can give us her access code. :)

If you want to save $75, you can try the Netgear AC1450 for $125 (what I call the Baby Nighthawk) at Costco.

Same brand as the Nighthawk, similar features but not as "fast" (1450 vs 1900).

I have posts peppered in various threads reporting my results (just set it up Friday night).

lnc said:
If the nighthawk is that good, you might get Zerolot's wifi from where you lived.  That's see if ZeroLot can give us her access code. :)

Dude - it's not password protected. Free wifi

Just kidding

lnc said:

Haha. Plus she is getting 100mbps download speeds!

Chairman said:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/best-router-for-mac.html

hmm, I might have to test my mac laptop at ZeroLot's place to see how easy it is to hook up to a Nighthawk. I enjoy the easy setup in a mac ecosystem but the nighthawk sounds much more powerful overall.

Come on over. I'd like to see what speeds you get on a Mac too. But I gotta warn you ... I had 4 people on wifi this weekend and our top speed dropped to 70 Mbps. We were all running speed tests at the same time. I expected better from the Nighthawk.

I wonder if my wifi can reach Floral Park. Now THAT would be awesome!

eyephone said:
lnc said:

Dude - it's not password protected. Free wifi

Just kidding

Lol ... Sorry ... I ain't Starbucks.

I still got 6 months on my uverse contract then I'll probably switch back to cox for Internet, hopefully the nighthawk gets to $150 range, it hit that price on Amazon in January I believe.

OpenSky said:
OpenSky said:
ps9 said:

This is exactly the combo I run, only I spent $70 more to do it. Figure my internet speeds won't exceed 120mb for a while so the step up from the 6121 would work jest fine for a few years.

Actually I expensed the purchase (and my monthly internet access) ... but I won't get into a pissing match with qwerter about how common that is or isn't among employees  :-X

you see, you are learning :)

I gave my buddy the Nighthawk to test out until I move into my new place.  He loves it.  He had issues with bandwidth and range before.. not anymore.

Back