Author Topic: Is this infestation?  (Read 7178 times)

Offline davenlei

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 82
  • -Received: 161
Re: Is this infestation?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 08:42:27 AM »
Good idea.  I'll have to find out where our drain is.

Update - our trap got a little mouse! It is so disgusting.  I wonder how many there are.  My speculation is true, they are entering from the gap of our garage door.  Irvine Pacific hasn't responded to my request to fix it :(

I have some gap issue in our garage door also.  There are gaps between the garage door frame and wall but it was filled by my painter when they paint my garage.  But when the door is closed, there's also a gap between the floor and the garage door.  IP think it is due to the wood trim between the driveway and the garage door were little high in some area and prevent the garage door from close completely.   IP is planning to file the wood trim down and see if it will solve the issue. 

It looks like your garage door motor just needs to be adjusted so the 'closed' stop point is a little lower.  It looks like the rubber seal on the bottom where there is no gap is not compressed at all which shows you have some 'room' still to adjust.

Offline zubs

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 57
  • -Received: 321
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
I just installed a chamberlain garage opener last weekend.  After you secure the garage door opener to your garage, and door, there is a way to adjust the garage door to the open and closed position.  On my chamberlain garage opener, there is:
~up arrow button
~set button
~down arrow button

To set the garage open and close position, you manipulate these 3 buttons.  It will remember where you set the garage door at the open and closed position after you complete the adjustment.

Here are some images to help you.

Since I just bought the Chamberlain 2 weeks ago, it has these buttons.  Older models uses the "turn with screwdriver" method for travel control.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:40:34 PM by zubs »

Offline lnc

• Thanks
  • -Given: 526
  • -Received: 991
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »

Update - our trap got a little mouse! It is so disgusting.  I wonder how many there are.  My speculation is true, they are entering from the gap of our garage door.  Irvine Pacific hasn't responded to my request to fix it :(

I have some gap issue in our garage door also.  There are gaps between the garage door frame and wall but it was filled by my painter when they paint my garage.  But when the door is closed, there's also a gap between the floor and the garage door.  IP think it is due to the wood trim between the driveway and the garage door were little high in some area and prevent the garage door from close completely.   IP is planning to file the wood trim down and see if it will solve the issue. 

It looks like your garage door motor just needs to be adjusted so the 'closed' stop point is a little lower.  It looks like the rubber seal on the bottom where there is no gap is not compressed at all which shows you have some 'room' still to adjust.

That's the first thing we attempted but unfortunately that's not the issue.   The rubber seal is completed compressed at both outer edge of garage door.  Let's just hope no little rat come through that little gap before it's been fixed.   

Offline RCV

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 12
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »

I forgot to give you guys an update. Irvine Pacific took care of the gaps on our garage door. They replaced the rubber on the sides of the garage and recalibrated the door so that it completely reaches the floor when it closes. I had to make a follow up but they fixed it.  No more mouse poops! ;) 

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1955
  • -Received: 3442
  • 3CWG
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
Are you continuing to set traps to make sure they are no longer *inside* the house?
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline RCV

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 12
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »
Are you continuing to set traps to make sure they are no longer *inside* the house?

No.. But that's probably a good idea

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 268
  • -Received: 540
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »
Just get a cat.  ;)

Offline Goriot

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 102
  • -Received: 83
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »

I forgot to give you guys an update. Irvine Pacific took care of the gaps on our garage door. They replaced the rubber on the sides of the garage and recalibrated the door so that it completely reaches the floor when it closes. I had to make a follow up but they fixed it.  No more mouse poops! ;)

IP is having the same issue (mice squeezing through) with many of their houses.  I had the same problem and found mice droppings in our garage.  They covered the little gaps in the side of the garage doors with a concrete slab to fill the remaining gap.  No more mice! Those little things scared the heck out of me when it ran past me the other day.  They are fast.

Offline lnc

• Thanks
  • -Given: 526
  • -Received: 991
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »

IP is having the same issue (mice squeezing through) with many of their houses.  I had the same problem and found mice droppings in our garage.  They covered the little gaps in the side of the garage doors with a concrete slab to fill the remaining gap.  No more mice! Those little things scared the heck out of me when it ran past me the other day.  They are fast.

I think those little things are scare of you.  You just need to walk around more and spread your male scent.

Scientists find that mice become stressed and more timid when they can smell a man nearby but the presence of a woman has no noticeable effect on them.

Even being near a t-shirt that has recently been worn by a man is enough to upset the animals, as the male smell remains   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10794167/How-scent-of-a-woman-leaves-mice-cold.html

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2399
  • -Received: 1512
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 03:24:13 PM »

I think those little things are scare of you.  You just need to walk around more and spread your male scent.

Scientists find that mice become stressed and more timid when they can smell a man nearby but the presence of a woman has no noticeable effect on them.

Even being near a t-shirt that has recently been worn by a man is enough to upset the animals, as the male smell remains   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10794167/How-scent-of-a-woman-leaves-mice-cold.html

we dont have any rodents, but to make sure it stays that way i will pee in the garage once a week.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1955
  • -Received: 3442
  • 3CWG
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
we dont have any rodents, but to make sure it stays that way i will pee in the garage once a week.
Yet another service to add to qwerchete's resume.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline best_potsticker_in_town

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 41
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
As a reminder to everyone to check your garages and seals - especially for new construction...

On Tuesday morning, I noticed small black rubber pieces inside and outside my garage door - as if it had been chewed on. I took a close look around my garage and did not see rat droppings, a nest, or a rat. I swept the small rubber pieces and didn't notice anything odd the remainder of the day. This morning, I noticed 2 droppings, some urine spots, and more chewed up rubber by the door. Upon inspection of my garage, I found a dead rat!

I've disposed of the rodent. There are bait traps around the community and near my garage - I'm guessing the rat went through the bait trap, got stuck in my garage, and the poison from the bait did its job. There was no odor or significant droppings, but I've called the pest control company since with rodents it's..."if there's one, there's more." Especially since I'm in new construction @ Eastwood Village and I'm sure all the constructions is sending the mice/rats in a frenzy.

I hate rats. Let this serve as a reminder to check your garage doors and clean-up the mess. I was told by the pest control company that it's nesting season - so much better to get in front of the issue!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Attached SFR Homes by Mety
[Today at 04:24:36 PM]

Re: HOMES REDUCED PRICE by Mety
[Today at 04:18:41 PM]

Re: Housing Analysis by eyephone
[Today at 04:05:29 PM]