Smarthome Retrofit

OpenSky said:
My boss bought a TB home with Control4. Man is it sweet. Think Sonos + Nest + zWave + myQ + drop cam + alarm system + distributed video and more, all controlled from your phone/tablet.

So I'm amidst a mini-remodel in our circa 2000 rebuild looking for easy but integrated smarthome / automation opportunities.

We replaced our garage door opener and bought the myQ module, along with a connected light switch. We can do a smart thermostat. Maybe a timer on the front porch light. The hang up I have is none of this stuff seems connected in a meaningful way (point solutions) and the broader solutions like zWave aren't comprehensive (no garage door opener integration, for example).

What are your thoughts on the value of doing a retrofit? Or is doing it right so pricey that it doesn't make sense? Or are there some options I haven't considered?

All the upgrades you mentioned, doesn't raise the value.

Just get a motion detector light for the outside. ($20-$40)

But if you fear of the zombie apocalypse, then I would get all that you mentioned above.  :D

I have a feeling that primary adoption of EVs and proliferation of smarthomes may coincide.

Both have a financial barrier but each has a different path of resistance. While short in range, EVs have a more practical value and smarthomes are currently more about convenience and "gadget factor".

I think what will see is more new homes getting these "gadgets" and that might trickle down to older homes. I think it was in PP, where I saw that the front door locks were of the electronic type. Even alarm companies are advertising smarthome-like features.

Like OpenSky, I want some smarthome stuff too, esp for the thermostat and certain lights.

When I asked my "boss" about getting a WiFi thermostat so I can control it from my phone or over the Internet, she refused.

She was scared someone could make our house freezing or boiling by hacking into our thermostat... like that's high on the list of ToDos for Dr. Evil.

OpenSky said:
I'm not looking to raise the value as much as I like the gadget factor.

Boss showed me a "Home in 20 mins" macro on his Control4 app -- he hits the button, it adjusts the temp on the house. 19 minutes later it opens his garage door, sets the stereo in the garage to his Pandora station and turns on his lights. When he walks in, the path lights are lit up and the TV is on set to his favorite channel at a low volume. The hot water upstairs is prepped for an evening shower (not on, but recirc hot).

All this can of course be done individually, he has one button. Kinda badass.

That is badass.  How long did it take him to set all this up??

Back