2014 OC's Best Middle Schools

So new = high ranking?  First Stonegate then Orchard Hills.  I bet Cypress Village is next then Jeffrey Trails followed by Musick High.  Should be expected with all the scrutiny and hype. 

I'm more impressed with bronze medalist Utt Middle in Tustin Unified.  Only school in the top rankings where the ethnic make up is different than the rest of the field.

tustinmiddle_zps5d5a0169.jpg

The principal quotes: John Wooden (no wonder the school works)

A Message for our students:

John Wooden, one of the greatest coaches of all time, has this to say about making mistakes, ?If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything.  I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes.?  I think this is great advice.  When you?re in class, I want you to be a doer and go for it.  If you make a mistake, that?s okay because you will learn from it and not make the same mistake again.  With this in mind, check out my Big Three Lessons to apply each day.

Lesson #1      Hard work is the key to success.  You?ll find in school and in life, that the harder you work, the more successful you are.

Lesson #2      In school and in life, you?ll always have obstacles.  It?s how you handle those obstacles that?s important.  So choose a good attitude and start overcoming those obstacles!

Lesson #3      When you are having trouble with a concept or an assignment, ask your teacher for help.  In your school career, you are going to have many teachers.  They will want to help you, but they will not always know you need help.  Make sure you are active about seeking help!  I once heard a great educator say, ?If it?s meant to be, it?s up to me.? 
http://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/domain/728

OpenSky said:
#rebelwithoutacause
There's always:

#EVprimetime

:)

IUSD still got 3 out of the top 10, while TUSD was only 2 of the top 10.

#cherrypicking

What I find funny is that 2 of those 3 are in Woodbridge, while Woodbridge High is one of the lower tier IUSD high schools... do they all go somewhere else after middle school?

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
And uh... SVUSD didn't get a single medal, only one school in the top 20.

No wonder Baker Ranch isn't selling out. :(

But but but - Lake forest isn't building tens of thousands of homes , thus it still has its identity (of having shitty schools).

ouch..

irvinehomeowner said:
OpenSky said:
#rebelwithoutacause
There's always:

#EVprimetime

#cherrypicking

What I find funny is that 2 of those 3 are in Woodbridge, while Woodbridge High is one of the lower tier IUSD high schools... do they all go somewhere else after middle school?

It's probably has to do with methodology.  All of the Irvine middle schools have excellent API scores (939-964).  Irvine had nos. 1, 2, 4 and 8 best middle school in 2012, Lakeside dropped no. 13 in 2013 after being no. 1 in 2012. 

I don't think that the ranking of any one year should matter...consistency is what you are looking for. 

OpenSky said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
OpenSky said:
#rebelwithoutacause
There's always:

#EVprimetime

#cherrypicking

It's probably has to do with methodology.  All of the Irvine middle schools have excellent API scores (939-964).  Irvine had nos. 1, 2, 4 and 8 best middle school in 2012, Lakeside dropped no. 13 in 2013 after being no. 1 in 2012. 

I don't think that the ranking of any one year should matter...consistency is what you are looking for.

I rather like OCR's methodology of academics + environment as being the contributory factors for ranking. One without the other is imbalanced. In other words, API alone doesn't tell the whole story.

I agree...I'm just saying that the methodology can lead to changes in ranking.  I mean I don't see how Lakeside can go from no. 1 to no. 13 in one year on a realistic level.  2013 Lakeside is probably the same school as it was in 2012.

Homie said:
bones said:
Homie said:
bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
And uh... SVUSD didn't get a single medal, only one school in the top 20.

No wonder Baker Ranch isn't selling out. :(

But but but - Lake forest isn't building tens of thousands of homes , thus it still has its identity (of having shitty schools).

ouch..

I learn trolling from the VERY best.

Game recognize game

Nah. You do it with a lot more finesse while keeping dignity in tact. The understudy still has a lot to learn.

Back