Anywhere BUT Irvine

OpenSky said:
We moved back to Irvine after a few years north of LA for job reasons, schools and it's "comfortable." But once the kids are done with school (<10 years) we are GONZO.

I want to live in a highly walkable place and one with stellar public transit, downsize to one car or less and bike/walk 90% of the time. A place with character - a few rough edges. Good food and live music. Lots going on. A vibe that isn't manufactured by Donald Bren's army but springs forth from people's garages. A place with real, deep history. A city with dimension yet you can get your arms around it.

I don't want a Johns Creek - I want an anti-Irvine.

If I had to choose today, the shortlist would be:
- San Diego
- Portland, OR
- Denver, CO
- Ventura, CA

Where would you otherwise be, or is Irvine *it* for you?
Sounds like downtown San Diego might be the right place for you.  As for me, I'll probably move to Vegas since it's kind of my 2nd home already (and since I hate paying state income taxes).

bones said:
Hard question.  I love living in major cities with great walkability (i.e SF, NYC), but hate the weather in those places.  I have gotten "soft" and addicted to southern california's amazing weather so not sure where I would move after Irvine?.

How about Santa Monica after the kids are out and gone to college.  It's damn expensive these days, but you get the great weather, beach scene, walkable to restaurants and caf?s, malls, etc. 

I wouldn't want to leave SoCal... so from the that list... has to be San Diego.

But, like Homie, I would add Newport/CDM/Laguna to that list so I'm still close to family and friends.

irvinehomeowner said:
I wouldn't want to leave SoCal... so from the that list... has to be San Diego.

But, like Homie, I would add Newport/CDM/Laguna Santa Ana to that list so I'm still close to family and friends.

You made a mistake bud!

bones said:
Maybe I'll move to Newport/Laguna/CDM with Homie & Co
no-girls-allowed1.jpg

OpenSky said:
I want to live in a highly walkable place and one with stellar public transit, downsize to one car or less and bike/walk 90% of the time. A place with character - a few rough edges. Good food and live music. Lots going on. A vibe that isn't manufactured by Donald Bren's army but springs forth from people's garages.
OpenSky said:
I think I'd do Hermosa/Manhattan Beach/Redondo before Santa Monica.
So close.  Come to Mayberry.

Why not Singapore?

It's got a convenient, cheap, efficient, and uber-modern subway system. It will double in size by 2030.
The congestion is much milder than LA.
Over 80% of the people live in high-density apartment complexes, so it sure is compact.
The downtown is constantly expanding, with quite a large skyline.
There's a Chinatown and a Little India. Not only is there plenty of authentic Chinese food, there's also Peranakan cusine, a mix of Chinese and Malay food. And the Chinatown is less ghetto than the San Francisco one.
It's as well-planned as a large city can be. Very green and bike-friendly. Authentic tropical forests abound.
Also one of the safest countries in the world.

We live on Naples island in south LB.  With the exception of baseball practice or ballet my car normally stays parked from Friday till I go back to the office Monday mornings.

Haowen Wong said:
Why not Singapore?

A car lover's nightmare. :(

Your Honda Accord will cost more than a BMW 5 series here.  A BMW M3 will cost $300k in Singapore.  A simple Porsche Carrera will cost more than $400k.

And don't even think about speeding over there,  Singapore still carry out corporal punishments,  just imagine the punishment would be if you drive over the speed limit.  :'(

lnc said:
Haowen Wong said:
Why not Singapore?

A car lover's nightmare. :(

Your Honda Accord will cost more than a BMW 5 series here.  A BMW M3 will cost $300k in Singapore.  A simple Porsche Carrera will cost more than $400k.

And don't even think about speeding over there,  Singapore still carry out corporal punishments,  just imagine the punishment would be if you drive over the speed limit.  :'(
No way I could live there.  It's hard for me to stay within the speed limit sometimes and I don't want to be caned.

OpenSky said:
If I had to choose today, the shortlist would be:
- San Diego
- Portland, OR
- Denver, CO
- Ventura, CA

Where would you otherwise be, or is Irvine *it* for you?

I lived in San Diego before but never downtown and could certainly see myself living in downtown San Diego. I'd also love to live walking distance to the beach in a place like Laguna Beach or Maui.

After the kids are out I'd like a place with more tranquility and opportunity for a huge backyard and a 3 car garage with just one story.  I'm not a fan of beach sand so inland for me.  North Tustin sounds nice. 

I would not be able to handle the city life of NY or SF.  LA was great when I was in college but I'm too old for all that stress.  Was just in LA twice this past weekend and I am so done for a while. Looking for parking was such a pain.

If I need shopping or groceries ... There's always Amazon and Amazon Fresh.

Back