[Poll] Resale or New?

Is your next home going to be new or resale?

• New: The New Home smell is irresistable

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Resale: I like 80s floorplans

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Other: Please explain

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

It's been a while since I've posted an RE poll.

Since there are so many choices for new builds now in Irvine, future buyers on TI might be skewed more towards new over resale.

While I really like new homes, the current batch just doesn't have some features we really like. No 3CWGs, no additional spaces downstairs (save for some plans in PP) so that kind of forces us to look at resale. The only problem is there isn't that much resale in Irvine available.

I would prefer new just because it would really feel like "our" home and most of the maintenance issues wouldn't exist that could be a problem in older homes. But then there is the added expense of Mello Roos, landscaping, window coverings etc etc.

So what would you buy?

our next home will be a single story, likely in the san diego area. ideally, a new single story. however, you dont find those very often so it will likely be a resale 1 story that we will remodel and/or add on to.

80's floor plans are great, but I really loved the floor plan of the late 60s early 70s UP home I grew up in. It just made more sense. Maybe its a childhood thing. And there was the Brady Bunch on TV to verify the validity of the architecture.

I only like single level and location is key (near the 73).  So that means resale if living in Irvine.

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty:

I know your current home you bought new, but have you ever bought resale?

Differences? Pros/Cons?

i have never bought resale. our place in redondo beach was also new.

I bought new.. yes resales have some bigger lots.. .but I feel like it's not as functional.. plus they are making up a lot to sell.  You have to do all the upgrades for a new home.. but I feel like some of the resales.. there are some that you can just move in right away.. but there are a lot that you want to customize yourself. 

Am I one of the few who have bought both?

I've always been a proponent for new just because I find the buying process easier (well, except for now where you can or can't be at a certain position on the priority list) but with all the MRs and extra costs such as landscaping... resale also has its appeal.

Back in the day, builders used to include basic landscaping so that wasn't an issue for us before, and I guess some design centers include it but prices are much more different today than back then. The first resale home we bought was pretty low maintenance. We didn't have any issues with appliances, HVAC or plumbing so I guess we got lucky. We bought new after that one and we actually had some issues with that more than the resale (but not the fault of the builder). The next resale we bought, we had to replace the carpet, got travertine flooring and repainted but that was it. But, it did have maintenance issues (sprinkler system, garage door, water heater). Near the end of our time at that resale, I had convinced myself that we would only buy new again.

But seeing all the new product being so underwhelming, and probably watching too much HGTV, we actually think resale is where you get more for your money... as long as the seller isn't unreasonable in their expectations. You still have to do "upgrades" but at least you don't have to decide while your buying and don't have to worry about HOA forms and sign offs until you figure out what to replace that outdated brick patio with (and you can still use it instead of dirt lot).

I bought new and don't regret it because there haven't been any major issues and I'm not a huge fan of remodeling but I think if I had to buy again now I'd buy a resale home because:

- Lower / no mello-roos
- Lower HOA
- Bigger Lots
- New homes don't have 20 ft ceilings & grand entrances
- Better location. Woodbridge is very central for instance.

Even with our new home we will eventually have to re-do bathrooms, re-paint, put in new carpet, etc. unless we move to a new home every time our existing new home needs this things :)

paperboyNC said:
- Better location. Woodbridge is very central for instance.

Woodbridge sits on a toxic plume.

Irvine_Plume_Map_Update_041706.jpg

I chose resale because I liked the neighborhood feel (a lot of the factors OpenSky mentioned in the NP thread), a more traditional floor plan with separate living/dining room, and larger more private lot.  3CW garage was on my wish list but it got outweighed by the other factors.  The lower Mello Roos that will expire quicker was a nice bonus, plus that coveted high ceiling entryway. 

Also, I didn't want to live next to a bunch of chain smoking FCBs (just kidding, I'm asian myself).

I'm actually open to both.  However with low resale inventories, lack of selection and some WTF asking prices of resales, it kind of force me to chose new.

Smashed said:
I chose resale because I liked the neighborhood feel (a lot of the factors OpenSky mentioned in the NP thread), a more traditional floor plan with separate living/dining room, and larger more private lot.
Yep.
3CW garage was on my wish list but it got outweighed by the other factors.
Gasp! There is no other factor that outweighs a 3CWG. :)
...plus that coveted high ceiling entryway. 
ps9 feature.

Back