A good water softener company??

ZeroLot

I miss having a water softener.  I definitely plan on installing one once I move into my house asap.  Living in a condo for years, water softener was not an option because all my pipes are connected with my neighbors.  Now I have my own dedicated water pipes, I want a water softener again.

Anyone recommend a good company??  The company that installed my old water softener is no longer in business.  It seems these companies come and go.  Any recommendations?? 

Thanks in advance!

I recently (Sept 2013) got a water softening/De-chlorination system installed by WaterTechniques (http://www.watertechniques.com).  They were probably the cheapest compared to Kinetico,  and Ecopure(costco).  They didn't do a full demonstration of how bad the water is compared to the other companies (but after you see one, you get the idea).  They did an excellent job of installing the drain pipes and the equipment nicely tucked away in my garage corner.

The only thing they didn't tell me was that during the regeneration, it makes an absurd amount of noise.

But otherwise the equipment works as promised and delivers soft water and keeps my pipes clean.  When looking for a water softener you want one that uses a Pentair Fleck valve (those are supposedly the best).  Also need to make sure your water intake pipe size (usually 1"), is the same size as whatever pipe they connect to it, otherwise your water pressure will decrease.

thevillain9 said:
I recently (Sept 2013) got a water softening/De-chlorination system installed by WaterTechniques (http://www.watertechniques.com).  They were probably the cheapest compared to Kinetico,  and Ecopure(costco).  They didn't do a full demonstration of how bad the water is compared to the other companies (but after you see one, you get the idea).  They did an excellent job of installing the drain pipes and the equipment nicely tucked away in my garage corner.

The only thing they didn't tell me was that during the regeneration, it makes an absurd amount of noise.

But otherwise the equipment works as promised and delivers soft water and keeps my pipes clean.  When looking for a water softener you want one that uses a Pentair Fleck valve (those are supposedly the best).  Also need to make sure your water intake pipe size (usually 1"), is the same size as whatever pipe they connect to it, otherwise your water pressure will decrease.

Would you mind sharing the cost?? thanks!!

Muzilla Plumbing (Steve Muzilla) installed our water softener. He purchased the water softener for us as well. I am very happy with the results.

The downside of having a plumber install the water softener is that you are responsible for all maintenance/trouble shooting. With companies such as Culligan, etc you have someone to call in case you have issues. But they charge significantly more for installation as well.
http://muzilaplumbing.com/

It's much cheaper to install it through a plumber. Culligan, Rayne, etc markup the materials significantly. With a plumber you can buy the water softener yourself and cut down the materials cost.

bitmaster20 said:
It's much cheaper to install it through a plumber. Culligan, Rayne, etc markup the materials significantly. With a plumber you can buy the water softener yourself and cut down the materials cost.

I would like to have a water softener but unfortunately the main water line comes into my house at the library/piano room and is far from anywhere I can tuck/hide a water softener machine without having to re-route the main line somewhere else.  :(

We had a similar situation. The main line came in infront of the living room, and the water softener was going to sit in the garage. The plumber routed put in a line to go to/from the garage.

Ok, I'm gathering up old water softener threads into this one for easy reference:

Is Water Softener System necessary in Irvine -http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2818.msg221806.html#msg221806

Does anyone use a water softener system? -http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1291.0.html

If I missed one just let me know and I'll add it to my list.

I'm in the process of vetting water softeners and conditioners and reverse osmosis systems.

Will post my findings once complete.  At the moment, I like the company Lucky chose - Rayne at Sky Park, Irvine.  I visited them and spoke with Carlos at length and they were great.  I love how they allow renting of their systems.

OpenSky said:
Having installed and purchased a spectrum of softeners, my recommendation for the highest value / lowest cost / most effective is a Whirlpool softener from Lowes installed by SoCalWater (socalwater.com).

this will run you ~$1k all in. Use that 10% mover coupon from Lowes to negate tax.

if you desire a high end system, SoCalWater can install a Fleck or other commercial grade system. That will cost you 2-3x as much but I'd give you a buck if you can tell the difference.

Only a buck??  I would take on your bet if it was more.

I actually taste test all water before I meet with the contractor.  I am no longer going with 3m because their RO tastes really bad ... IMHO.

I am really picky about water. I don't ever drink Sparkletts. Even Evian tastes bad to me ... Everyone said I was crazy for not liking Evian ... This was back in early 2000's ... Then a year later the scandal came out that Evian was using tap water.

Not sure what Evian uses now.

Anyhow my favorite water are those filtered by coconut shells for the carbon filter portion.  Those taste so yummy.

OpenSky said:
ZeroLot said:
OpenSky said:
Having installed and purchased a spectrum of softeners, my recommendation for the highest value / lowest cost / most effective is a Whirlpool softener from Lowes installed by SoCalWater (socalwater.com).

this will run you ~$1k all in. Use that 10% mover coupon from Lowes to negate tax.

if you desire a high end system, SoCalWater can install a Fleck or other commercial grade system. That will cost you 2-3x as much but I'd give you a buck if you can tell the difference.

Only a buck??  I would take on your bet if it was more.

I actually taste test all water before I meet with the contractor.  I am no longer going with 3m because their RO tastes really bad ... IMHO.

I am really picky about water. I don't ever drink Sparkletts. Even Evian tastes bad to me ... Everyone said I was crazy for not liking Evian ... This was back in early 2000's ... Then a year later the scandal came out that Evian was using tap water.

Not sure what Evian uses now.

Anyhow my favorite water are those filtered by coconut shells for the carbon filter portion.  Those taste so yummy.

The RO is separate from whole house softening. If your RO is doing its job, the softener behind it doesn't matter a lick. So yeah, I'd raise stakes if it mattered... Softening is about feel, not taste.

I would have to disagree there.  Softening is about removing calcium and other chemicals in the water. Once those chemicals are removed it changes the taste of the water.  I can easily taste the difference between softened water + RO water and just regular RO water.

When I mentioned that to Rayne Water, Carlos knew exactly what I was talking about and came up with a system for me. 

I plan on buying a salt + potassium water softener and  conditioner system (removing calcium + chlorine) and then a separate RO system (from Amazon or Costco) that comes with easy to find replacement filters aka: buy online filters.

OpenSky said:
RO removes calcium. Do a TDS test. I'm in for a Pepsi challenge on this if the RO is doing its job, there is no difference.

I am up for the Pepsi challenge.  You and me in a parking lot in Irvine.  ;D  I bring the glass cups (since glass is the only cups I can use now because I can taste the chemicals in ceramic cups ... thanks to pregnancy hormones) ... and you bring the water.  We just need someone on TI to be the judge.

And someone else to make sure the judge is not taking sides.  8)

But on a serious note, it is TRUE that RO does remove calcium.  But a water softener removes 100% calcium and all other minerals in the water.  So by the time the softened water hits the RO it is MORE pure and tasty.

ZeroLot said:
OpenSky said:
RO removes calcium. Do a TDS test. I'm in for a Pepsi challenge on this if the RO is doing its job, there is no difference.

I am up for the Pepsi challenge.  You and me in a parking lot in Irvine.  ;D  I bring the glass cups (since glass is the only cups I can use now because I can taste the chemicals in ceramic cups ... thanks to pregnancy hormones) ... and you bring the water.  We just need someone on TI to be the judge.

But on a serious note, it is TRUE that RO does remove calcium.  But a water softener removes 100% calcium and all other minerals in the water.  So by the time the softened water hits the RO it is MORE pure and tasty.

which means you will probably get osteoporosis. :p

Chairman said:
ZeroLot said:
OpenSky said:

which means you will probably get osteoporosis. :p

I'm already taking calcium tablets.  =P

I don't mind calcium in my water but I hate what it does to the pipes and showers and my $200 zojirushi water boiler.

SoCal said:
ZeroLot said:
glass is the only cups I can use now because I can taste the chemicals in ceramic cups ... thanks to pregnancy hormones

Hey, congratulations.

Thanks SoCal.  But I don't want to give the wrong impression, I already had the baby.  Just those pregnancy hormones still haven't completely gone away yet.  I can still smell soiled diapers a mile away.  :(

But water in ceramic cups tasted like dirt when I was in the middle of my pregnancy.  I trashed all my ceramic cups last yer.  Only glass or porcelain cups for me now.  I was craving Fiji water too.  So weird.

Back