Verizon or AT&T cell phone plan???

BuddyLeo

Moving to Irvine in March - I'm wondering which cell phone provider has the best coverage in the Stonegate area.  I don't want to move there only to find out that my plan doesn't work there well.  I know AT&T has decent coverage - but I was thinking of going to Verizon to get a better deal $$$.

Thoughts???

I thought VZW was the most expensive of wireless carriers.

I don't know which is better in Stonegate but VZW is usually the best followed by AT&T. For certain areas it just depends.

I recently signed up for a no-contract plan with TMo because I'm hoping a better iPhone comes out next year and I didn't want to be tied down to a 2-year plan. They get pretty good LTE coverage but my AT&T phone has better coverage overall.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm hoping a better iPhone comes out next year and I didn't want to be tied down to a 2-year plan.

iPhone 6 is guaranteed to be better but not necessarily innovative. You already know the formula: faster chip, better camera, software tweaks in iOS7, and finally a BIGGER screen (but probably smaller than a Sammy).

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I thought VZW was the most expensive of wireless carriers.

I don't know which is better in Stonegate but VZW is usually the best followed by AT&T. For certain areas it just depends.

I recently signed up for a no-contract plan with TMo because I'm hoping a better iPhone comes out next year and I didn't want to be tied down to a 2-year plan. They get pretty good LTE coverage but my AT&T phone has better coverage overall.

Shoulda done the same. I want the phablet but recently reupped with Verizon for 2 years so I'm stuck.

You can always buy the new phone/phablet when it comes out, and sell the one you currently have in ebay.  I think the cost difference would eventually be not much different from the "installment" you are paying TMobile for the phone to be on a no contract plan.  At least you would still be on Verizon than TMobile :)

@OpenSky:

What's the data throttle limit on that $45/mo plan? I find that "unlimited" isn't really unlimited for LTE data.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. 2.5GB of high-speed data and then throttles down to 2G. Not bad... but I know i use over 2.5GB per month.

BuddyLeo said:
Moving to Irvine in March - I'm wondering which cell phone provider has the best coverage in the Stonegate area.  I don't want to move there only to find out that my plan doesn't work there well.  I know AT&T has decent coverage - but I was thinking of going to Verizon to get a better deal $$$.

Thoughts???

I'm in Stonegate and I have no reception inside my house on AT&T and T-Mobile.  I do get reception outside of my front door, but as soon as I walk inside, it's dead.  My friends on Verizon has signal everywhere in my house.

gaogi said:
BuddyLeo said:

Thoughts???

I'm in Stonegate and I have no reception inside my house on AT&T and T-Mobile.  I do get reception outside of my front door, but as soon as I walk inside, it's dead.  My friends on Verizon has signal everywhere in my house.

Huh, I'm at Woodbury now, got almost 30 Mbps download on AT&T LTE, indoors too.  I wonder where the nearest cell tower is.

ps9 said:
gaogi said:
BuddyLeo said:

Thoughts???

Huh, I'm at Woodbury now, got almost 30 Mbps download on AT&T LTE, indoors too.  I wonder where the nearest cell tower is.

Yeah, Woodbury reception (at AT&T) was horrible at first, but they improved in 20007/2008, had almost 5 bars near the elementary school. Stonegate seems to be in a dead-spot. There is a tower in Portola at 133/241 and one at 133/5, but Stonegate, specifically the Portola/Sand Canyon corner seems to fall just in-between the two towers, so I sometimes get nada, then all of a sudden 2-3 bars. But it's usually nada...

I just wanted to throw in an update.  I stayed with AT&T and the coverage was pretty bad.  So I went to the store to get a Micro cell inside the house.  They made me pay for it there and said that my phone rep will probably pay me back.  I had to shell out $200 for the equipment.  Then i got a call the next day from his manager and he felt bad and gave me a $350.00 credit.  We get 5 bars inside the house and anyone on AT&T that we register to the unit.  (up to 20 users can be added online).

I'm getting the new iPhone 6 plus, so I might check out verizon as I'm not locked into a plan.  But AT&T is gonna start costing me 80-90 per month for 2 GB of data per month - which doesn't last me very long.

Back