Require Trash Haulers to use 133/241 Toll Roads

ak

Is it only me....but I really think trash haulers should be required to use the 133 and 241 toll roads to get to the Bee Canyon dump.  Using Sand Canyon or Jeffrey is really not safe, clean or feasible as 1,000's of new homes have been built in the last 5 years.  In the past this part of Irvine as still farmland and it was not big deal, but now its all homes and families.  Can we start some type of petition to get this started?  It would also help the toll roads with revenues as we all know they really need it. 

I'm hoping the waste haulers will work out some bulk discount with the toll roads...maybe the city of Irvine will chip in some $$ as well since this would mean less road maintenance.  I don't know if you drive on Sand Canyon, but when you see rows and rows of huge dump trucks rumbling up/down at 50+ MPH it is definitely not safe or practical.  When this part of Irvine was mostly farmland it was no big deal....now it is a huge unsafe mess.

Thankfully we live in a democracy and as long as enough people want it and pressure our elected officials that it is the right thing to do, it can happen.  I can't see how having 100's of dump trucks is a good thing once everything is built out (especially the Great Park).  What an eyesore that would be.....

It probably depends on where they are going, I already see them using the toll roads so it isn't currently prohibited.  I'm sure their drivers would prefer to use the toll road as well if it makes sense for them.

It would be better than those trucks taking Sand Canyon/Jeffrey.  Those trucks stink, they are an eyesore, they sometimes spill garbage on the road.  They are loud and drive fast, I swear this morning two of them appeared to be racing head to head as they passed Irvine Blvd. 

If my WM bill goes up because I'm subsidizing toll road usage, I will not be happy.

This is why when you choose where you live, you need to be aware of the pros and cons. Unfortunately, in areas where there is a dump, the surrounding residents will be subject to "trash hauler" traffic.

We bought a home near the freeway. We asked our HOA about a soundwall. CalTrans even did a noise study but didn't warrant it high enough to do so. Do we sue CalTrans? We bought knowing the pitfalls, and we live with it.

The citizens of Irvine would definitely re-elect Mayor Choi (and anyone else on the council) if he came out and strongly supported this idea.  Hope members of Mayor Choi's staff reads this blog. 

AA said:
The citizens of Irvine would definitely re-elect Mayor Choi (and anyone else on the council) if he came out and strongly supported this idea.  Hope members of Mayor Choi's staff reads this blog. 
Not if they have to pay more for it.

They wouldn't even pass Measure A to give additional funding to the IUSD when teachers were going to be laid off.

bones said:
AA said:

Why don't you just let his office know directly instead of hoping that his staff reads this blog?
+1.  Not entirely sure why ppl think our little local BB is so powerful and well read.  It's not.  Plus, it'll never happen.  Too many obstacles and it only affects a small area of the city.  I agree with IHO, you have to do your research when buying into a location, if you choose to live next to a landfill, garbage trucks are part and parcel with the landfill.

bones said:
AA said:

Why don't you just let his office know directly instead of hoping that his staff reads this blog?

Done.  Thanks.

Back