Mary Poppins at the Ahmanson

caycifish

I know this isn't OC theater, but downtown isn't that far away. <!-- s;-) -->;-)<!-- s;-) --> Besides, this is good, familiy-friendly entertainment. Not every musical nowadays is child-appropriate.

Yes, we have tickets but haven't seen it yet.

Broadway's supercalifragilistic, award-winning hit Mary Poppins plays the Ahmanson Theatre for an exclusive limited engagement through February 7, 2010 only!

Based on P.L. Travers' cherished stories and the classic 1964 Walt Disney film, Mary Poppins features the Academy Award?-winning music and lyrics of Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman. The stage production has been created, in collaboration with Cameron Mackintosh, by Academy Award?-winning screenwriter Julian Fellowes, who has written the book, and the Olivier Award-winning team of George Stiles and Anthony Drewe, who have composed new songs and additional music and lyrics. Olivier Award-winning Richard Eyre directs with co-direction and choreography by Tony? and Olivier Award winner Matthew Bourne.

Nov 13 - Feb 7, 2010 Ahmanson Theatre
at the Music Center
downtown Los Angeles

http://www.centertheatregroup.org/tickets/productiondetail.aspx?id=5982

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Is The Nutcracker good for kids?

We took them to see The Lion King in Vegas and they loved it.[/quote]

That would depend on how interesting to look at the design team makes it and the attention span of your children. You're talking about the ballet, right? The one with only dancing and no talking or singing?

[quote author=irvinehomeowner board=outonthetown thread=129 post=1467 time=1260295890]Is The Nutcracker good for kids? quote]

How old are your kids? IMO, young children may get pretty bored at ballets. From a young age, I attended many plays, musicals and ballets and other adult-like gatherings (e.g., city council meetings). Still, when I was 6 or 7, I very loudly told my mother -- in the middle of The Nutcracker -- how disgusted I was that I could very clearly see (the shape of) the male dancer's private parts in his tights. Just something to consider! This is one of those stories that my mother inevitably tells everyone, in my presence.

Is there a Nutcracker with singing and/or talking?

Sounds like the youngest may get bored... the oldest is 6.5 and takes ballet classes at school.

I don't think I could see "Mary Poppins" without Julie Andrews in the title role. Blasphemy!

Back