cypress village proposed cell tower

_echo

Hello All,
  Have been mulling this over after reading the DRE. There is a proposed cell tower on roosevelt between bay tree and visions. From the map the sales office gave us, It's supposed to be alongside those eucalyptus groves, perhaps they're going to disguise it as a palm tree?

It's right smack inside the strip of rentals, but based on a quick drive through, it seems that there will still be direct line of sight with some of Marigold and Magnolia as well.

Am wondering whether any of you guys know any details about what kind of tower it is going to be? My google fu is weak in the construction/public records area, however I'd like to determine more technical details about the tower (i.e. who owns it, and the expected height, output power, and as much technical detail as we can find.)

Some detailed disclosure instead of a blanket statment would have been much more beneficial to potential residents. For example,

I certainly wouldn't want to live inside the beam of an 100W microwave point to point link, that would suck. Although it might make for some interesting 'wireless power' features that ipac could charge big bucks for. (No need to run wiring for accent lighting, just peel and stick it on the wall!) Any unused power could be useful for slow cooking sweetbread, while still attached to the victim. :)

On the other hand, a small 12W array would be highly useful and beneficial for the community. To put 12W into more tangible terms, this would be like magically combining output of roughly 120 wifi devices going full bore (laptops, smartphones, tablets,  etc.). Of course magic here is analogous to choir vs noisy restaurant.  IMHO, from a potential health effects perspective, said magic dosen't matter, both are equally obnoxious. It's not inconceivable to have a fairly good percentage of this in a single household either.

What do you guys think?

3)
Adopt RESOLUTION NO. 13-3258 ? A RESOLUTION OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF IRVINE APPROVING CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT 00544306-PCPU TO INSTALL A CLASS 4 WIRELESS COMMUNICATION FACILITY WITH ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT IN A LANDSCAPE LOT (TRACT 17394, LOT H) ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF ROOSEVELT BETWEEN VISIONS AND BAY TREE IN CYPRESS VILLAGE (PLANNING AREA 40); FILED BY VERIZON WIRELESS

What's class 4?  Owned by Verizon

B. Mounting and Screening. The following is the order of preference for mounting and screening wireless communications antennas and facilities, starting with the city?s most preferred technique. In its application, the applicant shall show why it has not selected any mounting and screening technique that is more preferred than the technique it proposes.

1. Class 1: Screened Building-Mounted. A facility with antennas mounted on a building or water tank. The antennas are fully screened so that they are not visible. Typical examples include antennas behind a visually opaque screen designed to pass radio frequency signals that match or complement existing exterior surfaces of the building or tank, or antennas designed to be incorporated within an architectural feature of a building such as a steeple, cross, cupola or other integral element.

2. Class 2: Monoshrub or Monorock. A facility with antennas mounted inside or behind elements that replicate natural features such as rocks and shrubbery and located in hillside or other natural areas where the facility blends into the surrounding vegetation or topography so that the antenna is not visible. Typical examples include monoshrubs and monorocks.

3. Class 3: Hidden Freestanding. A facility consisting of antennas mounted on the interior of a freestanding structure that uses design techniques to ensure that the antenna is not visible because it is fully enclosed within the structure. Typical enclosures may include monuments, signs, or clock towers.

4. Class 4: Camouflaged Freestanding. A facility consisting of antennas mounted on the exterior of a freestanding structure that uses camouflage to disguise the antenna. Typical examples include monotrees and radome-enclosed antennas on streetlights.

5. Class 5: Temporary. A temporary facility on site not more than 180 days until a permanent (separately approved) facility to provide coverage for the same general area is operational; or a temporary facility on site not more than 30 days in connection with a special event. Typical examples include a ?cell-on-wheels? (COW).

6. Class 6: Unscreened and Uncamouflaged. An unscreened or uncamouflaged building- or water tank-mounted or freestanding facility with any visible antenna. Typical examples include visible antenna panels on buildings, monopoles, streetlights, playfield lights and electrical towers. [Ord. 2012-140 ? 3 (Exh. A); Ord. 2011-135 ? 2 (Exh. A); Ord. 2011-134 ? 3 (Exh. A); Ord. 2010-126 ? 1 (Exh. A); Ord. 2010-123 ? 3 (Exh. A). Formerly 15.42.040, 15.42.050].

Verizon will have:
3 panels @ 751MHz @ 634 watts each
3 panels @ 850MHz @ 1813 watts each
3 panels @ 1900MHz @ 3415 watts each

AT&T will have:
3 panels @ 850MHz @ 2000 watts each
3 panels @ 1900MHz @ 2000 watts each

For a total of 29,586 watts.

Here's the brain frying diagram.
2mq5e20.jpg

So I typed Class 4 facility in google search and I just saw another city has it, the description for class 4 facility is greater than 120 feet but less than or equal to 200 feet.

Note: the description may be different from verizon class 4 facility. I am not an expert in the telecom industry. I just came up with definition of a class 4 facility from another city. See below.
http://www.co.bedford.va.us/PDF/Minutes/pdf/R22JULY13.pdf

Thanks for the replies everyone!

29kW is a _lot_ of power. Forget accent lighting, we're talking stadium lighting here.

I feel sorry for the guy in the middle rental townhome, hopefully they're not on the upper floors when this thing is on. :(

I guess I was off by a few orders of magnitude with my power level guesstimates. I haven't worked with such powerful RF before, so I will have to recalibrate my thinking slightly.

For those that are concerned, the power/frequency data is sufficient to calculate how much you would be getting if you lived 'x' distance away from the tower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_path_loss

Note, these numbers are a good estimate, but do not reflect reality, since the antenna emission pattern is never a sphere. Rather it is likely 'bean' shaped, more pointy than that probably. In any case, it is informative.

(I will crunch on this and post later this week as well, but it's getting past bedtime.)

In my goofy way of thinking about this, I can live with a certain amount as we all need RF devices to carry out our work. There is a certain amount of exposure needed to enjoy the conveniences we are all used to, after all.

I am however a bit nervous about living next to a 29kW emitter. Since I like analogies, standing next to that, tower would be like standing next to about oh, 20 microwave ovens... With their doors open!

Regards,
_echo

Just wonder why they pick this particular location, smack right in the middle of residential area, for the cell tower.  There are better locations around cypress village, IMHO, to place a cell tower.

lnc said:
Just wonder why they pick this particular location, smack right in the middle of residential area, for the cell tower.  There are better locations around cypress village, IMHO, to place a cell tower.

Cell towers aren't supposed to go in residential areas.  Per the master plan this tower was supposed to be near the freeway near the park.  But Verizon wants to move it here for better coverage.  Killing your customers, now that's service!

I'm actually happy for the cell tower.  Verizon reception sucks in the Woodbury area.  Hopefully this alleviates the problem.  Disclaimer:  I do not live nor plan to buy in the CV area. 

If you don't die from cancer you'll probably die from something else. In the meantime, we can all enjoy better cell phone service! Woot!

Hello All,
Thanks for all the support, this is a great forum.

I ran some really quick numbers (without doing a site survey, it's only possible to guesstimate), also since many areas aren't visible on google earth yet, it's difficult to get an accurate distance measurement.

To give you guys some measure of relative power at 250m (the distance to floral park), each 'sector' would be approximately 12.5mW/sqM, which is roughly equivalent to a smartphone at 2 meters away.

So, you'd see about 1 to 2.5 smartphones' (at 2 meters away) worth at floral park. Note there are three sectors, but one of them is pointing towards the retail area. This of course excludes the one in your pocket as well.

C'mon, Irvinites are like an ostrich with its head in the sand. If you don't see it then its not there. Just look at one of the largest dumps in the country. If you can't see it then it is not there. Sleeping next to a bunch of freeway interchanges is no problem as long rows of trees block the view and buffer the noise. Hide the sign of the jail and call it something like Honor Farm and even change the street name then the problem goes away. This cell tower is a piece of cake compared to the previous examples. Use a fake tree and hide it among real trees.

There's some sort of construction alone Roosevelt, the section between Bay Tree and Visions.  I'm guessing they are finally putting up that cell tower.

Back