Great Park Development

adventurous

City Council votes 3-2 to push back the vote by two weeks in order to fully analyze the Five Points offer. I think it's the right move. It would be even better if the offer is rejected. Five Points offers a golf course and over 20 ball fields in the Great Park under a private management. Well, I don't see why we need the fifth (!) golf course in the city. 20+ ball fields instead of a family park is a bit overkill too.

What do you think? Do we need to build a cheap sports park or keep developing the Great Park, acre by acre? In any way, the it's going to come at the cost of extra residential construction around the Great Park, than initially anticipated. So, my question is how to use it wisely, so it will benefit the city and the residents in the best possible way.

Irvine doesn't need any of those things.  But it does need the 8,000 jobs broadcom was going to bring.  Lalloway just voted to kill that deal.

Did he? I got an impression he only wanted to delay it. He clearly stated he would support the Five Points offer of the sports park, but he wanted to see the finalized documentation first.

227-acre of golf course is a waste of land.  FivePoint proposal on great park is a housing project.  They use the public land as their housing project's common amenities area so they can build more houses.

Makes me wonder, why it's so strongly supported by 3 out of 5 councilmembers. I really don't see how it add any benefits to Irvine residents.

They didn't throw away the money.  They pocketed them!  Why there hasn't been a investigation on how these money are wasted away.  It's 200M of USD!

songkou said:
They didn't throw away the money.  They pocketed them!  Why there hasn't been a investigation on how these money are wasted away.  It's 200M of USD!

But we got a giant orange balloon and free carousel rides! 

TBF, I can't really think anything specific to do with the GP...obvious some of the area can't be for residential use due to the history of the base.  Also, I don't want another giant mall in the area.

Greenspace is preferrable but usable green space.

Irvinecommuter said:
But we got a giant orange balloon and free carousel rides! 

TBF, I can't really think anything specific to do with the GP...obvious some of the area can't be for residential use due to the history of the base.  Also, I don't want another giant mall in the area.

Greenspace is preferable but usable green space.

I like the idea of making it like Balboa park. Museums, a Zoo? botanical gardens, small parks everywhere (no sports fields) - have it near a lot of housing and have it walking distance to a walkable downtown shopping area.

They'll never do it of course...

This city is about live, play and work at short proximity. At some point residents must die. A cemetery should be in high demand. The deads do not like to be buried in neighboring poor cities or the wandering souls will come back to haunt the surviving families.

I heard Chinese already have a shrine set up in the spare bedroom to worship the ancestors whereby the names of the elders were carved on individual wooden plaques in some miniature manger like altar.

I think Chinese like burial plots on a hillside facing the water and it is ok to be west facing. The top of Crystal Cove would be ideal.
bones said:
don't asian ppl like to be buried up high and with a view?  I remember trekking up a ton of stairs to reach my grandparent's site in asia. 

Ocean facing hillside plots I heard are ideal. The top of crystal cove would be ideal. May be selling plots in the leftover common area or landscape setback could generate additional revenue. For the poor families living in a motor court the 6-1/2' between homes is perfect for a bunch of 5-1/2'
long caskets.
bones said:
don't asian ppl like to be buried up high and with a view?  I remember trekking up a ton of stairs to reach my grandparent's site in asia. 

bones said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I think Chinese like burial plots on a hillside facing the water and it is ok to be west facing. The top of Crystal Cove would be ideal.
bones said:

Pacific View in CDM is popular with the asians.  It has a view of some sort and parts of it are elevated.

A lot of Chinese people actually cremate due to Buddhism. 

Tyler Durden said:
^^^Because they are covering up their previous mistake of throwing away $200M with nothing to show for it. 

By taking the builder's money (and allowing them a $40M reimbursement via a special tax on PP residents), they are getting a version of the park built - which they can brag about during their re-election campaigns. 

A private golf club is not a park whatsoever. What kind of blind voter can buy the private golf? The gang of 3 puts themselves on a dangerous path during the re-election.

I fail to see how two dozens soccer fields help the public park. Unless the city of Irvine, all of a sudden will launch the Irvine World Soccer Cup. Seriously... The value of twenty soccer fields is even more questionable than the private golf club. I really doubt THAT can be sold as a long-promised park during the re-election. One or two visits to the new "park" would be enough for an average resident to realize how much money the City Council wasted.... again.

adventurous said:
I fail to see how two dozens soccer fields help the public park. Unless the city of Irvine, all of a sudden will launch the Irvine World Soccer Cup. Seriously... The value of twenty soccer fields is even more questionable than the private golf club. I really doubt THAT can be sold as a long-promised park during the re-election. One or two visits to the new "park" would be enough for an average resident to realize how much money the City Council wasted.... again.

Soccer fields are a revenue source.  How does that benefit the public?  It doesn't.  You are right about that.

But the city has no more money to waste.  What you are seeing now is the consequence of the previous spendthrift city council.

what's worse?

$200 million to Larry Agran's friends and family

or

taking a bribe from 5 point by Shea, Lalloway and Choi to build more houses

I'd rather see a golf course plus soccer fields, rather than keep enriching the Agran Gang.

Back