IUSD needs to cut $14.7M this week

iacrenter

http://www.ocregister.com/news/school-222914-cuts-budget.html
O.C. schools to slash millions more this week
By FERMIN LEAL
2009-12-07 16:56:24

Many already cash-strapped school districts across Orange County will decide this week whether to further increase class sizes, eliminate hundreds more jobs, again cut music and arts programs, close another school, and scores of other budget cuts.

Those are some of the tough decisions facing school boards from some of the county's 27 districts as they are set to vote again on millions in cuts as the ongoing state budget crisis continues to worsen.

State law requires school districts to submit by Dec. 15 budget projections to the county Department of Education for the current school year, along with the following two years.

This latest round of budget cuts is prompted primarily by the state budget revise approved in July after school districts passed their own budgets in June.

"Districts in Orange County are going to have to make some real tough decisions," county Superintendent William Habermehl said. "Our schools have already cut to the bone. It's just getting harder and harder to find places to cut from."

Districts need to submit balanced budget projections to receive a "positive" certification from the county. Districts submitting budgets with forecasted deficits receive "qualified" or "negative" certifications, meaning they are unsure they can meet their financial obligations going forward.

Orange Unified trustees, looking to cut $16 million, will decide Thursday whether to shutter Riverdale Elementary, along with other cuts including eliminating funding for sports transportation, increasing the bus pass fee by $60, eliminating busing for GATE students, eliminating elementary instrumental music programs, cutting elementary summer school, increasing class sizes and laying off staff.

In Anaheim City School District, trustees will consider a proposed $15 million in cuts. They include eliminating 209 jobs in all. About 150 of those classified personnel, nine teachers, 11 vice principals and 11 psychologists. Other likely cuts include increasing kindergarten class sizes from 20 to 28 students, five furlough days for employees, and moving schools to a single calendar.

In Brea-Olinda Unified School District, the school board tonight will consider about $2 million in cuts. The list includes eliminating eight elementary and 13 high school teaching positions, custodial positions, as well as positions in information technology, accounting and in the district office. Funding for athletic teams could also be reduced.

Capistrano Unified School District ? Orange County's second-largest ? is grappling with how to cut $25.1 million. It has identified $11.4 million in possible cuts for 2010-11, including larger class sizes in the first grade and slashing all funding for sports, extracurricular activities, elementary school music programs and the college-level International Baccalaureate programs in high schools. But even if the district made all of the cuts identified so far, it would still face a $13.7 million deficit.

Irvine Unified School District, facing a $14.7 million deficit, will not finalize any cuts this week, spokesman Ian Hanigan said. The district plans to submit a qualified budget to the county next week because officials were unable to identify all the cuts.

"This means that we have a lot of hard work ahead of us," Hanigan said. Trustees in Irvine Unified plan to discuss potential budget cuts during their meeting Tuesday.

Trustees in Santa Ana Unified School District, the county's largest, plan to cut on Tuesday $17.1 million from the budget. The district needs to cut a combined $30 million, so officials also plan to submit a qualified budget. More cuts will be indentified in coming weeks, officials said.

Facing a $26 million shortfall, Saddleback Valley Unified School District also plans to submit a qualified budget after the board meeting Tuesday.

La Habra City School District trustees met last week and decided to put off any budget cuts until later this year. The district will also submit a qualified budget.

Districts will again submit projections in the spring, after the governor releases the preliminary state budget for the 2010-11 fiscal year. Many educators said they expected to have to make another round of cuts by then, especially following news that the state could face another $21 billion deficit.

Last school year, the county's 27 districts cut a combined $200 from their budgets. Hundreds of teachers and other staff lost their jobs, while scores of programs were slashed.

Register staff writers Scott Martindale and Lou Ponsi contributed to this report.

"Last school year, the county's 27 districts cut a combined $200 from their budgets".

That doesn't sound like it should be causing any problems!!

I am wondering if TIC will help kick in some money to fill the budget gap. Certainly any damage done to the reputation of IUSD would hurt TIC in terms of future home sales.

[quote author="IACRenter"]I am wondering if TIC will help kick in some money to fill the budget gap. Certainly any damage done to the reputation of IUSD would hurt TIC in terms of future home sales.[/quote]
They better if they want to sell those $375/sf homes in Woodbury.

So nice that the city of Irvine decided to buy a $500,000 balloon instead of investing in the schools (and this coming from a guy who loves all things aviation)...

I work in a school district, not IUSD. It's really annoying with this budget crisis and how we have been cutting from all government employees (fireman, policeman, educators). I work in a huge district and the parents that have money keep the programs alive at their children's schools. And the needy schools where parents don't have much to start with....all of their additional resources are being cut. I feel like the schools are limping on a wooden leg with a patch over their eye!

[quote author="idreamofgenie"]I work in a school district, not IUSD. It's really annoying with this budget crisis and how we have been cutting from all government employees (fireman, policeman, educators). I work in a huge district and the parents that have money keep the programs alive at their children's schools. And the needy schools where parents don't have much to start with....all of their additional resources are being cut. I feel like the schools are limping on a wooden leg with a patch over their eye![/quote]

OK, I'll bite.

Can you explain to me why government budget cuts are a bad thing?

As a taxpayer, I see non stop growth in government at all levels and hear an endless parade of public officials telling me that I'm not paying enough in taxes.

I respectfully disagree.

At the Federal level, my taxes will be going to 39.6% in 2011 after the Bush tax cuts expire.

In addition to that, capital gains taxes will be going from 15% to the same 39.6%.

And there is serious consideration going on about adding a .25% per transaction tax on all stock/financial interest purchases.

And if healthcare is nationalized, I'll get hit again with another Federal tax increase.

And there are talks going on about creating a special tax to pay for the 30,000 mini troop surge in Afghanistan.

And talks of a national Value Added Tax are swirling as well because "the government can't make ends meet".

Things are no better at local levels either. There is an endless procession of tax increases spread throughout the land.

Personally I think it would be great if we reduced the size of government at all levels and introduced concepts like taxing users instead of everyone.

[quote author="winex"]
[quote author="idreamofgenie"]I work in a school district, not IUSD. It's really annoying with this budget crisis and how we have been cutting from all government employees (fireman, policeman, educators). I work in a huge district and the parents that have money keep the programs alive at their children's schools. And the needy schools where parents don't have much to start with....all of their additional resources are being cut. I feel like the schools are limping on a wooden leg with a patch over their eye![/quote]

OK, I'll bite.

Can you explain to me why government budget cuts are a bad thing?

As a taxpayer, I see non stop growth in government at all levels and hear an endless parade of public officials telling me that I'm not paying enough in taxes.

I respectfully disagree.

At the Federal level, my taxes will be going to 39.6% in 2011 after the Bush tax cuts expire.

In addition to that, capital gains taxes will be going from 15% to the same 39.6%.

And there is serious consideration going on about adding a .25% per transaction tax on all stock/financial interest purchases.

And if healthcare is nationalized, I'll get hit again with another Federal tax increase.

And there are talks going on about creating a special tax to pay for the 30,000 mini troop surge in Afghanistan.

And talks of a national Value Added Tax are swirling as well because "the government can't make ends meet".

Things are no better at local levels either. There is an endless procession of tax increases spread throughout the land.

Personally I think it would be great if we reduced the size of government at all levels and introduced concepts like taxing users instead of everyone. [/quote]

But aren't wealth redistribution and economic disincentives what the American Dream is all about? [/end snark]

I read Winex's post and I generally agree with a smaller more efficient government at both the State and Federal levels. I enjoy holding my money and deciding when to spend, save, or even give away to charity.

I guess the problem is when the rubber meets the road. Smaller is a euphemism for job cuts and decreased services. California like so many Americans have lived way beyond our means and now we have no choice but to tighten the belt. It is painful but it must be done. Unfortunately no one in government had the balls to do it when the economy was doing well. So now we are stuck laying off teachers and other government workers in the worst economy in decades.

If government officials at all levels had just a little bit of foresight we would have slowly reduced government bloat and used new money to retrain workers for the private sector and of course save some for a rainy day.

Well our rainy day has come and we have no stinking money left in the bank saved. So like any other household (except the Federal Government) we either cut expenses or get a 2nd or 3rd job to increase revenue.

California tax payers voted this past May and rejected getting a 2nd job (so no more taxes). We are then left with cutting expenses. That means government workers losing their jobs at the worst possible time.

So I guess we are left with option C--get creative. So no more taxes and we don't want to lose great teachers. Winex's comment on a "user's tax" sounds about right. How that is implemented needs to be figured out between government, parents, and schools. Those who are primarily affected, i.e. parents who send their kids to public school, will need to come up with some good ideas. How about private fundraisers, a volunteer sliding fee schedule, volunteering at the school, donating materials/time etc...

The solution will not be a government one. We as parents need to step up and offer more if we expect more from schools.

I received this e-mail from the PTA today:

"A Message from the Irvine Unified Council PTA

Dear Parent,

As you already know, the State of California is experiencing a severe budget crisis and the deficit is having a devastating effect on education funding. While IUSD is better positioned than many districts, our district faces a projected shortfall of approximately $15 million for the next school year, despite cuts made last year close to the same amount. Potential IUSD budget reductions under consideration include increasing class size in grades 1-3 to 30 students, eliminating the high school freshman writing program and 9th grade class size reduction, eliminating art in K-6, a salary rollback for staff, and possible furlough days among others.

PTA wants to insure that all parents are aware of the significant potential changes to our school district and the impact that these changes may have on your children. Many of us take for granted the excellence of Irvine schools, but the potential impact of these cuts could alter that substantially. We strongly encourage you to be informed by attending your local PTA meetings, reading the regular updates on IUSD's Budget Watch at www.iusd.org and attending relevant community meetings. There are several opportunities to hear from and give feedback to the IUSD School Board during the month of January. A list of the upcoming meetings is below; all meetings take place at the district offices at 5050 Barranca Parkway unless otherwise noted and the public is welcome at all meetings.

January 12th at 7 PM ? Regular School Board Meeting

January 19th ? 4 PM ? Budget Study Session

January 26th ? 7 PM ? Community Budget Forum

Please consider attending a meeting to speak on a subject you are passionate about, sending an email to a member of the school board, and/or sharing your thoughts and suggestions through IUSD's Online Budget Input Form at www.iusd.org/inputform.

Regular school board meetings and the Community Budget Forum may also be viewed live on Cox Channel 39.

In these difficult economic times, we realize that budgets are tight at home as well. However, parents can also help by supporting your school's PTA through your membership, donations and volunteer hours. Additionally, donations to the Irvine Public Schools Foundation (<!-- w -->www.ipsf.net<!-- w -->) help students throughout IUSD. If you are able to give, please consider making a donation now that may prevent a valued program from being eliminated. By working together, we can make a difference."

From an email sent by the district today:

"SCHOOL BOARD ASKING PUBLIC'S OPINION ON BUDGET DEFICIT

Students, parents and Irvine Unified School District employees can expect "more cuts" and "shared pain" in their immediate future, members of the school board said at a budget study session Tuesday, the board's first public meeting since learning that its budget deficit is now projected to be $22.5 million.

The school board will host a community budget forum to solicit opinions and ideas from residents and employees, at 7 p.m. Tuesday, January 26 at the district office, 5050 Barranca Parkway, in Woodbridge.

District officials discussed the new shortfall, which increased from $15 million after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's Jan. 8 budget proposal, along with a list of potential cuts and "employee contributions," furloughs and a 1 percent salary rollback that could help close the gap. The cuts, presented by Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Lisa Howell, corresponded to the board's Dec. 8 proposal and were adjusted to reflect the larger deficit.

The community forum will be broadcast on Cox Channel 39.

PROPOSED BUDGET CUTS TO INCLUDE ART

Once again the K-6 art program is being considered for elimination. Community support in the form of voices to the school board or e-mails to the school board and district administration have been effective in maintaining the program in the past years.
Please write a few words about how you value the program and would like to see it continue or simply cut and paste the following into an e-mail and send it to:

Sharon Wallin: <!-- e -->sukuwabara@cox.net<!-- e -->
Gavin Hunley-fenner: <!-- e -->cmcirvine@yahoo.com<!-- e -->
Michael Parham: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:mparham2004@gmail.com">mparham2004@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->

Art is essential in creating well-rounded students with critical thinking skills. The K-6 art program is important to the elementary students in Irvine and should be maintained. It is precisely because of educational opportunities like the art program that we chose to live in Irvine and enroll our children in IUSD. Programs such as art give our children a competitive advantage and maintain our property values. We believe there are other places money can be saved without degrading the elementary curriculum in this way."

I don't have any children, but I still love seeing the school artwork displayed on the Irvine cable channel. I am always impressed that those drawing were done by elementary school kids, although sometimes I think maybe the parents may have helped a bit. I would seriously buy some of their paintings and have them displayed in my home.

Back