Garage Door Lubrication

broda

Now that people have been living in their new homes for a bit, I'm sure you guys started noticing the Garage Door squeaking more like me.  Anyone find any good product they like for lubrication?

i bought this at the home depot at the marketplace, worked really well. the little straw pinpointed the stuff right where it was supposed to go. another good thing is that this stuff doesnt run/drip. would highly recommend it. our garage door started sqeaking about 3 months after we moved in. after i used this stuff there were no squeaks at all. i apply it every 3-4 months. there are actually good youtube videos that show you what to spray what not to spray

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...r-Garage-Doors-4128043/202794367#.UmgQShA8Kjg

And when the day inevitably comes that your torsion spring snaps on a weekend, after-hours, leaving your car trapped inside -- hypothetically-speaking, of course...  ;) SoCal highly recommends this company for fast, professional service at a nice value:
http://www.24ocgaragedoors.com/

Tyler Durden said:
How old was the house?  I was under the impression most garage door opener systems were good for about 10-15 years.

You are lucky no one was hurt when that happened...springs breaking can be pretty dangerous.

I don't know how old this garage door system is because it is not original to the home.

Well, there are two torsion springs. They would both have to snap for the door to free-fall. In this incident, only one broke. However, I think I also heard one guy say there was a safety cable or something to catch it from free-falling but I'm not 100% sure about that. I'd like to find out more about that.

It was being closed & we heard it snap when the door was about a foot off the ground, it fell down quickly from there. Luckily none of the glass panes broke. My kids were in the vicinity playing outside but yeah, they know nobody is allowed under or even near the door when opening or closing. They're really good about that.

The guys at OC Garage Doors were awesome!! They were done within about an hour of us calling for service on a Saturday night.

SoCal said:
And when the day inevitably comes that your torsion spring snaps on a weekend, after-hours, leaving your car trapped inside -- hypothetically-speaking, of course...  ;) SoCal highly recommends this company for fast, professional service at a nice value:

How much did they charge you? Just had the "snap and collapse".
Imagine the feeling when I come to TI to ask a question and find the answer ;-)

Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal said:

How much did they charge you? Just had the "snap and collapse".
Imagine the feeling when I come to TI to ask a question and find the answer ;-)

Sorry for the late reply. I've been without reliable internet for a couple days. (Power outtage for 16 hours, then the cable modem died.) So, how much did it run - who'd you call?

Cubic Zirconia said:
How much did they charge you?

It was $362 for parts and labor. 2 torsion springs replaced. That included a $15 discount for doing a (honest) Yelp review. No extra charge for weekends / same day visit.

Clopay is a garage door brand.  Do they sell their own brand of lithium grease too?  I just use a lithium lube spray I found at Pep Boys.  Home depot also sells a garage door lube kit with different lubes for chains, jack screws and rollers.

The coplay worked well for me but based on brodas youtube video i sprayed some areas i didnt need to. Gotta go clean it up.

Tyler Durden said:
i talked to the garage door guy when he came out to replace the weatherstrip on my door.

He indicated that the garage door springs (each of them) needed to be lubricated 2x / year with lithium grease to reduce wear and tear. 

He also said they get a lot of repairs because folks do not lubricate the springs on a regular schedule and it will eventually cause a spring to break.

I sprayed the torsion spring but I felt like the lubricant just sat on the spring, it's kind of still there after months, it hasn't moved at all.

Back