Why you shouldn't buy a home in Irvine

frank69m

When I first moved and purchased a home in Irvine 5+ years ago, it was a fine city: clean, quiet, family oriented and you could get to pretty much anywhere pretty quickly.

Now, the fools at the Irvine Company and City Hall seemed to have really mucked with a good thing:

1) Built too many homes too fast

2) Traffic is terrible. Why do they need to re-pave every single road at the same time? It seems everytime I turn a corner, they are repaving a perfectly good road (compared to LA). This is the area I hate too much. Thanks Irvine City council for runing a good thing. I mean, why mess up Sand Canyon, do construction on Culver and mess up Barranca all at the same time. Why can't you do this separately?  Short on money and just want to spend it at the end of the year? Buffoons if you ask me.

3) Built too many apartments. Although, Irvine should have some, there are just too  many and attract a lower class of people mostly (not always)

4) Schools are getting crowded

5) Too many Asian, Indians and now it seems middle easterns. Don't say I'm prejudice. I'm all for diversity, but these fools tend to bring their culture and languages everywhere they are.

Move people = more frustrations, more crime, etc.

Too much of a good thing attracts too many people.

So, think twice before you move here as it is getting to be a mess and carefully evaluate where you buy a home.

frank69m said:
5) Too many Asian, Indians and now it seems middle easterns. Don't say I'm prejudice. I'm all for diversity, but these fools tend to bring their culture and languages everywhere they are.

Go to the Spectrum on any evening and it's like 75% Arab.

Hal tatakallamu alloghah alenjleziah alarabiah?

test said:
frank69m said:

persians will tell you they are not arab.

qwerty said:
test said:
frank69m said:

Actually they're Muslim.  All the women have their faces covered.  It's a little creepy seeing this in Irvine if you ask me.

Persians are not Arab. 
Those with the hejab (head covering) are mostly Arab. 
You can tell by the way a woman wears her hejab whether they are Arab or Iranian.

bones said:
So frank69 -ole wise one (if I remember correctly, the 69 is an age reference and not a position preference), where should one buy a home in SoCal?
Newport Beach or Newport Coast, duh.  haha

I will try to respond to this logically:

1) Built too many homes too fast

Still tons of open space in Irvine.  There is a lot of construction but I don't really think it's that big of a deal.  Irvine at least has well zoned residential areas as compared to Mission Viejo or other parts of South OC.

2) Traffic is terrible. Why do they need to re-pave every single road at the same time? It seems everytime I turn a corner, they are repaving a perfectly good road (compared to LA). This is the area I hate too much. Thanks Irvine City council for runing a good thing. I mean, why mess up Sand Canyon, do construction on Culver and mess up Barranca all at the same time. Why can't you do this separately?  Short on money and just want to spend it at the end of the year? Buffoons if you ask me.

No...because the money to do those things do not come from local government.  They are from the state and federal government, who provides money based upon proposals and timelines.  The construction is also the result of increased demands.  The traffic issue is also temporary...the construction on Jamboree and Jeffrey near the 5 were frustrating but now both areas flow nicely.  I expect that to be the case for Culver and Sand Canyon when the construction is done.

3) Built too many apartments. Although, Irvine should have some, there are just too  many and attract a lower class of people mostly (not always)

That makes no sense at all especially because Irvine Company charges a lot for apartments and buying a house is incredibly difficult these days.

4) Schools are getting crowded

Yes because more people are coming.  More schools are also being built.

I can't even respond to this without being extremely mad or sarcastic.

Move people = more frustrations, more crime, etc

You have such a tough life.

test said:
qwerty said:
test said:
frank69m said:

Actually they're Muslim.  All the women have their faces covered.  It's a little creepy seeing this in Irvine if you ask me.

Why?

Irvinecommuter said:
test said:
qwerty said:
test said:
frank69m said:

Why?

Why?  They like to blow each other up that's why.  The rest of us will end up blown to pieces collateral damage.

when you propose a problem, you should propose a solution. 
a "Final solution".
You should move to Huntington Beach.

This is the only one I'll agree on...and only because Irvine agreed to Low Income Housing.  Living in a number of IAC apartments, there are definitely good families it helps, and some that just bring their bad families into a nice neighborhood to continue to do bad things. 

BUT not solely blame low income housing, a lot of UCI students are starting to venture away from campus for cheaper apartments bringing that college crowd to family oriented neighborhoods which is also part of the problem.

That makes no sense at all especially because Irvine Company charges a lot for apartments and buying a house is incredibly difficult these days.

It doesn't shock me to still find people who proclaim to be "diverse" just not in their neighborhoods.  But you'd think people would learn to accept it especially in California.  You can move to Podunk Arkansas if you want to be with your "kind".  BTW I'm an Asian who's been living in Irvine for the past 14 years so I've been here longer than you.  As much as I enjoyed being the token Asian guy everywhere I went, times change...deal with it.

test said:
Irvinecommuter said:
test said:
qwerty said:
test said:
frank69m said:

Why?

Why?  They like to blow each other up that's why.  The rest of us will end up blown to pieces collateral damage.

That's what I thought you would say.  I don't think any additional comment is necessary.

broda said:
This is the only one I'll agree on...and only because Irvine agreed to Low Income Housing.  Living in a number of IAC apartments, there are definitely good families it helps, and some that just bring their bad families into a nice neighborhood to continue to do bad things. 

BUT not solely blame low income housing, a lot of UCI students are starting to venture away from campus for cheaper apartments as well bringing that college crowd to family oriented neighborhoods which is also part of the problem.

[/quote]

Sure but low income housing is in every major city.

There are many people who live in IAC apartments who are former and hopeful homeowners.  Their relative goodness doesn't change just because of what type of structure they live in.

frank69m said:
I strongly disagree.  There are areas where traffic is terrible but not for reasons you state.  IMO the traffic tends to be terrible around schools and shopping plazas that have inadequate ingress and egress much of the day.  And that's not many places.

I can not for the life of me understand people who complain about infrastructure work.  Irvine has awesome mostly clean streets, and they have to update them for the increasing size of the city as a destination to live and work.  The work those projects create is good , well paying work for professionals and laborers, who tend to spend their money nearby.  As long as the project doesn't over run terribly, the city and everyone involved usually ends up better for that work.

Have you ever been to New York City, where taxes are high and there is no infrastructure work done?  The streets are all crappy and full of potholes and falling apart.  And whatever work does get done seems to go on forever with no noticeable schedule. 

test said:
Irvinecommuter said:
test said:
qwerty said:
test said:
frank69m said:

Why?

this was actually pretty funny.

Irvinecommuter said:
broda said:

BUT not solely blame low income housing, a lot of UCI students are starting to venture away from campus for cheaper apartments as well bringing that college crowd to family oriented neighborhoods which is also part of the problem.

Sure but low income housing is in every major city.

There are many people who live in IAC apartments who are former and hopeful homeowners.  Their relative goodness doesn't change just because of what type of structure they live in.

Being a product of the IAC apartments I agree with you, but going with his point, it is just opening the door to that demographic.  Yes it's a stereotype and I do believe it does more good than harm, but it is just a fact that petty crimes (theft, car theft, etc) are more common around low income people than not.

Back