Best Place to Raise Kids in California

ABC123_IHB

<a href="http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/11/1117_best_places_to_raise_kids/6.htm">Not Irvine</a>

Arcadia

Nearest city: Los Angeles

Population: 55,817

Median family income: $83,480

Runners-up: Monterey Park, Diamond Bar

Arcadia, located about 20 miles from Los Angeles, is the state's best place to raise kids for the second consecutive year because of its low crime and excellent schools. The population of Arcadia includes a number of peacocks that hang out in the neighborhood near the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanical Garden.

I found this great schools review about Arcadia High School pretty entertaining.

<blockquote>The truth is that in this school pressure to excel comes from students and parents, as befitting the Asian culture(s). Not from teachers. <strong>After having attended this high school, I feel that one could replace all the teachers with unionized chimpanzees, and the test scores wouldn't slide.</strong> Bottom line is that if a student could excel here, he could excel anywhere, and I think my parents overpaid just for the privilege of bragging to their other Asian friends that their children go to AHS. The only thing i could say about the school is that as an Asian student, for the first time in my life in the US, I am no longer a part of a 'small minority,' in this school. This is not a bad schoo, per se, just highly overrated. Asians (of which I am) value brand names, which this school is, nothing more.</blockquote>

[quote author="ABC123" date=1258542234]<a href="http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/11/1117_best_places_to_raise_kids/6.htm">Not Irvine</a>

Arcadia

Arcadia, located about 20 miles from Los Angeles, is the state's best place to raise kids for the second consecutive year because of its low crime and excellent schools. The population of Arcadia includes a number of peacocks that hang out in the neighborhood near the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanical Garden.</blockquote>

Seriously?

Guess Irvine flunked the "affordability" part.

<A href="http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/11/1117_best_places_to_raise_kids/index.htm">http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/11/1117_best_places_to_raise_kids/index.htm</A>

<B>Affordability</B>, safety*, and school test scores were given the greatest weight.

<A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvine,_California">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvine,_California</A>

In 2006, the median gross rent paid for housing was $1,660 a month. This was the highest of any place in the United States of more than 100,000 people.[14] The skyrocketing high cost of housing is a major issue in Irvine

Do not fear Irvinites. Although I really don't care to live in Irvine, there's just something about the fact that you can find any type of activity, for any age, at just about any time of day that keeps sucking even me in. Yeah, it must have been the affordability issue.

[quote author="CK" date=1258548238][quote author="ss="spellchecked_word">ABC123</SPAN>" date=1258542234][ss="spellchecked_word">url</SPAN>=ss="spellchecked_word">http</SPAN>://images.ss=spellchecked_word>businessweek</SPAN>.com/ss/09/11/1117_best_places_to_raise_kids/6.htm]Not Irvine[/ss=spellchecked_word>url</SPAN>]

Arcadia

Arcadia, located about 20 miles from Los Angeles, is the state's best place to raise kids for the second consecutive year because of its low crime and excellent schools. The population of Arcadia includes a number of peacocks that hang out in the neighborhood near the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanical Garden.</blockquote>

Seriously? Arcadia I guess I can see as being up there --- but not sure about the best. Diamond Bar is ok, but just ok (I guess they didn't consider commute --- or lack of --- as a component in raising a family). And Monterey Park, really? I mean, great eating --- but to live? Eww.

Given this list I would assume the writer must be of Chinese or Taiwanese decent --- but maybe not, because if they were then Irvine and Cupertino would surely be on the California list.</blockquote>

I agree. These rankings are a joke. They just pull a certain number of data sets without really investigating the subjects.

My company gets ranked it these type of "best ___" lists all the time. The "research firm just pulls whatever data that is easily available on the web and uses that to come up with the best blah blah blah list. No one every connects us directly to find out the real story.

Yeah, seriously Arcadia??? And Monterey Park and Diamond Bar?

Obviously someone mixed up the "Best Places to Raise Kids" list with the "Places I Hit Up For Chinese Food" list.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1258543882]I found this great schools review about Arcadia High School pretty entertaining.

<blockquote>The truth is that in this school pressure to excel comes from students and parents, as befitting the Asian culture(s). Not from teachers. <strong>After having attended this high school, I feel that one could replace all the teachers with unionized chimpanzees, and the test scores wouldn't slide.</strong> Bottom line is that if a student could excel here, he could excel anywhere, and I think my parents overpaid just for the privilege of bragging to their other Asian friends that their children go to AHS. The only thing i could say about the school is that as an Asian student, for the first time in my life in the US, I am no longer a part of a 'small minority,' in this school. This is not a bad schoo, per se, just highly overrated. Asians (of which I am) value brand names, which this school is, nothing more.</blockquote></blockquote>
It would seem that University High could be interchangable with AHS.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1258559092]Yeah, seriously Arcadia??? And Monterey Park and Diamond Bar?

Obviously someone mixed up the "Best Places to Raise Kids" list with the "Places I Hit Up For Chinese Food" list.</blockquote>
I had a blast growing up in Huntington Beach.

What about all the smog?

The air quality is so bad there- I know because I grew up in Arcadia-

Besides, Arcadia is one of the most boring towns in all of So. Cal.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1258543882]I found this great schools review about Arcadia High School pretty entertaining.

<blockquote>The truth is that in this school pressure to excel comes from students and parents, as befitting the Asian culture(s). Not from teachers. <strong>After having attended this high school, I feel that one could replace all the teachers with unionized chimpanzees, and the test scores wouldn't slide.</strong> Bottom line is that if a student could excel here, he could excel anywhere, and I think my parents overpaid just for the privilege of bragging to their other Asian friends that their children go to AHS. The only thing i could say about the school is that as an Asian student, for the first time in my life in the US, I am no longer a part of a 'small minority,' in this school. This is not a bad schoo, per se, just highly overrated. Asians (of which I am) value brand names, which this school is, nothing more.</blockquote></blockquote>

Oh No! Parents don't really brag about schools especially the ones from Irvine. It is not about brand of course. It is just an isolated case of one Asian's testimony about Arcadia. Asians in Irvine are different. They are very humble, considerate, and address their Caucasian neighbors as "White People". They move to the right lane and let you pass knowing you are in a hurry.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1259227529]how could it possibly be more boring that Irvine?

I know that the triads with their icicle guns are even closer!</blockquote>

How could Irvine be boring?

50,000 acres of nature preserve.

Mountain to the sea Trails.

Pocket Parks.

Sidewalks.

3 Targets.

3 Costcos.

Spectrum center.

Golf Course.

Best Buy

Boomers.

Theater.

UCI.

Restaurants.

Irvine Reginal Park.

Irvine Lake.

This topic is worthy of taking time away from my family on Thanksgiving day. I am thankful for the people around me and the mentors who in my past shaped my upbringings. They were community volunteers, teachers, counselors and ordinary citizens who donated their time for me that made an lasting impression that changed my life.

Business week has done an excellent job in their selection of placing Arcadia in the top #7. Its grading process was meticulous and I would have chosen it as well.

So what is so great about Arcadia? For the last two years my family visited it frequently and what I am posting is not from a google blurb. It is based on my personal experience and observation. There are few places in Southern CA really attracts me. Arcadia did and I am sure you are are dying to know why it is so special.

Arcadia is not a "Metroburb". A Metroburb was founded by greed. A Metroburb is all about improving vanity with cosmetic surgery making its appearance attractive from the outside. There is no heart, soul and back bone behind the sexy skin of metroburb. A majority of the population is quick to judge a book by its cover. Arcadia not only has good appearance but she also has a good bones, heart and soul.

Arcadia has a good heart. What do I mean by that. Arcadia citizens have done so much for humanity more than many cities. Arcadia is a partner for the City of Hope Cancer treatment hospital. People of all ages donate money and time for the care of the cancer patients of all ages and from all walk of life. Kids and adult volunteer their time there to comfort and bring joy to the ills. This is what I called having a heart. Metroburbs have no heart. I would want my privilege kid not to be self centered and think about others and not just all about ME. GIMME THIS or GIMME THAT. Arcadia for 100 years have pride herself made possible by the her residents to have such a noble goal. Other Hospital such as Huntington Memorial also benefitted from the care of Arcadia. Arcadia has her service clubs that don't exist in metroburbs. All service clubs are non profit and the goal for the clubs is to enrich the life of the participants and others. Many of these clubs have been in Arcadia for over 75 years and continue to indoctrinate new generations the leaders of tomorrow. The clubs are the Rotary, Elks, Masonic, Lions, VFW (Veterans of Foreign War), Soroptimist, YMCA and YWCA. These organizations tell a story of a city that has a good heart for many years. There are homeless shelters and facility for abuse women and children. I would like my child to have these good value

Arcadia has a good soul. A community with lost souls are people who grow up or old and move away. Metroburb has virtually no senior population. Old veteran population is an indication of a generation found this city worth staying for and growing old in. The age population in the city is well spread across the board. Asians is definitely on the high side

The bone of the city has good infrastructure ranging from Civic, business, and education. Businesses are 60% family owned with vested interest in the city and the place of residency as well. With donation pledge to the local schools children benefit from a variety of classes normally eliminated by budget cut such as art, music and shop classes. Arcadia Arboretum is the largest in Southern CA once home to the wealthy Baldwin family and one of the largest in the west coast and home to exotic plants around the world, Sunset Magazine demonstration workshop, and the 70's TV shows fantasy Island. Arcadia schools and the arboretum partner in environmental education for children awareness to green earth sustainability, ecosystem, botany, and landscape horticulture by hand on class experience conducted at the arboretum. The Arcadia Nature Park extends deep into the San Gabriel mountain. This nature reserve encompasses over 60,000 acres. It is all accessible to the public without a docent. It is not only school children haven for learning about animals but the hikers haven as well. Its very scenic with waterfall, stream and other land features. The Santa Anita Race track home to the Breeder Cup also partner with local schools where children learn to ride horses and the equestrian related sport legacy in arcadia. Arcadia schools excel in water sport with excellent pool facility and the benefit of the Arcadia Plunge built during the 20's. Arcadia County golf course one of the oldest in SoCal is strategically located behind the Arcadia High School allowing student a variety of PE options including Polo at Santa Anita. City of Hope research Center adjacent to Arcadia also offer elective classes for High Schoolers interested in medicine with hand on experience. Both near by Cal Tech and JPL sponsor student field trips for upward bound science students. Claremont Colleges being 25 minutes away to the east has been a magnet for Arcadia graduates. Arcadia is home to the Philharmonic Orchestra who performs at the Hollywood bowls, Dorothy Chandler and the free Summer picnic concert series at the Arboretum amphitheater. Arcadia school musicians also participate in Arboretum classical music festivals.

The pride of the city is evident. 2 city events are held monthly with PR banners strung across Baldwin Ave and Huntington Drive. I was stuck in horrible detour traffic last Saturday due to a Thanksgivings Parade that lated for hours. The various service clubs in conjunction with the city participate in the yearly Rose Float for the last 75 years. The Santa Anita HS Marching band is guaranteed to perform at the Rose Parade.

Aside from the educational and character shaping benefit Arcadia has very little crime. In fact safer than Irvine. Irvine is one of the safest in the nation in the FBI ranking of metro cities over 200,000. Arcadia does not even have 1/5 of the crime of Irvine based on population proportion. Arcadia has the best Chinese restaurant easily rival Monterey Park with my favorite Din Tai Fung and Garden Cafe. My dollars stretch farther in Arcadia. There are many Chinese Markets and other Chinese eateries like dim sim, boba, pho, and dumpling. I go there for my Chinese Cuisine fix.

In term of architecture. I hate the recent Chinese McMansion along the fringes. Arcadia was the suburb when San Marino was built out. Cliff May designed many of his single story sprawling equestrian ranch prototypes there. They are gorgeous. The pedigree of homes is the 1930s adobe ranch with a touch of modernism. Many modernists also left their legacy in Arcadia such as Neutra and other Case Study architects. Several case study homes are in Arcadia. All garages are de-emphasized and detached from the homes separated by a breezeway with a broad roof connection. A lot of indoor and outdoor relationship for homes that truly live outdoor without the gimmick California Room but real verandah that wrap the entire house on multi acreage properties. Home prices is very realistic in Arcadia with good value and good size lots. 85% of all homes in Arcadia are single story which supports the popularity of older folk population. It is nice to old folks to tell stories to kids. Rose Parade Queen and Princess pageant boundary also include Arcadia. Caruso will be building his shopping complex in Arcadia designed with Chinese feng shui and cater to the Asian population. The current Westfield mall has been renovated with outdoor shopping anchored with Nordstrom brought a lot of tax revenue to the city.

The vision of Arcadia City planners: strip malls are discouraged in the city. Narrow side of parking lot are a must to face the street to diminish strip mall frontage. Buildings are pushed up against sidewalk to create a Main street appearance. Arcadia has its Historic Main Street just like Fullerton.

Arcadia Children are very well rounded with a diversity of interest. It is home to the the residence and business of Asian doctors who grew up in Arcadia. In the San Gabriel Valley Arcadia has the highest medical offices and Asian practitioner. Asian students from Arcadia are likely to becoming a doctor. There is already a 30 years of outstanding history of boomerang doctor population returning to their root. Arcadia High also has a high number of the graduates attending Cal Tech and the Claremont Colleges. The kids from Arcadia are not only book smart, well discipline, well rounded in interests but most importantly not self centered and dedicated to helping others in need.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259304246]

Aside from the educational and character shaping benefit Arcadia has very little crime. In fact safer than Irvine. Irvine is one of the safest in the nation in the FBI ranking of metro cities over 200,000. Arcadia does not even have 1/5 of the crime of Irvine based on population proportion. .</blockquote>

I just heard this on the news today:

<a href="http://cbs2.com/local/Elderly.Couple.Attacked.2.1335968.html">Elderly Couple Attacked, Robbed In Their Driveway</a>

<em>Police in Arcadia are searching for two teenagers who robbed an elderly couple in their driveway, taking about $1,200 in cash and the woman's wedding ring.

The man was punched in the face, and the woman was pushed to the ground during the attack in the 300 block of West Duarte Road about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Lt. Colleen Flores.

The man, who was unloading groceries, yelled for his wife, who came outside and was pushed to the ground. One of the suspects then wrestled her wedding ring off her finger, she said.

The robbers then taped the woman's mouth and tried to put zip ties around both of their wrists before fleeing, Flores said.

The man suffered some cuts to his face, and the woman's elbow was injured, she said.

A detailed description of the attackers was not available. </em>

[quote author="ABC123" date=1259324944][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259304246]

Aside from the educational and character shaping benefit Arcadia has very little crime. In fact safer than Irvine. Irvine is one of the safest in the nation in the FBI ranking of metro cities over 200,000. Arcadia does not even have 1/5 of the crime of Irvine based on population proportion. .</blockquote>

I just heard this on the news today:

<a href="http://cbs2.com/local/Elderly.Couple.Attacked.2.1335968.html">Elderly Couple Attacked, Robbed In Their Driveway</a>

<em>Police in Arcadia are searching for two teenagers who robbed an elderly couple in their driveway, taking about $1,200 in cash and the woman's wedding ring.

The man was punched in the face, and the woman was pushed to the ground during the attack in the 300 block of West Duarte Road about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Lt. Colleen Flores.

The man, who was unloading groceries, yelled for his wife, who came outside and was pushed to the ground. One of the suspects then wrestled her wedding ring off her finger, she said.

The robbers then taped the woman's mouth and tried to put zip ties around both of their wrists before fleeing, Flores said.

The man suffered some cuts to his face, and the woman's elbow was injured, she said.

A detailed description of the attackers was not available. </em></blockquote>

That is terrible for the elderly couple especially during the time of Thanksgivings. No city is totally crime free.

Back