Irvine Homes blogger buys a home

jumpcut_IHB

I'm calling a bottom! <a href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/16/irvine-homes-blogger-buys-home-where/10257/">Irvine Homes blogger buys a home</a>

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1258456544]I'm calling a bottom! <a href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/16/irvine-homes-blogger-buys-home-where/10257/">Irvine Homes blogger buys a home</a></blockquote>

I guess Erika has a real stable job at the register...

did she read the article about the corp owner of the register lining up the BK, which is going to screw their secured creditors? that made the NYtimes yesterday.

PANDA said in another thread that she bought in Orange but I don't see that on her article... does he have inside info?

EDIT:

She didn't update her original article... here it is in technicolor:

<a href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/18/irvine-homes-blogger-buys-home-in-orange/">http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/18/irvine-homes-blogger-buys-home-in-orange/</a>

sounds like they bought in the Santiago Canyon area... we have a couple of friends who live off Fort Rd,, the nesting instinct is indeed strong

I totally empathize with her nesting instinct, but what I don't get is why she would want her kids in the crazy school district. The elementary schools in that area rank pretty high, but if they stay through high school, they'll be at El Mo - one of the crappier high schools in the county.

Not only that, but does she really want to live in an area where people care so little about who is on their school board that they vote for any random name on the ballot (or don't vote at all), and then bitch when they end up with a certifiable schizophrenic (aka Steve Rocco)?

[quote author="ocresident73" date=1258684857]I totally empathize with her nesting instinct, but what I don't get is why she would want her kids in the crazy school district. The elementary schools in that area rank pretty high, but if they stay through high school, they'll be at El Mo - one of the crappier high schools in the county.

Not only that, but does she really want to live in an area where people care so little about who is on their school board that they vote for any random name on the ballot (or don't vote at all), and then bitch when they end up with a certifiable schizophrenic (aka Steve Rocco)?</blockquote>
Maybe she'll send her kids to a private school.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258691332][quote author="ocresident73" date=1258684857]I totally empathize with her nesting instinct, but what I don't get is why she would want her kids in the crazy school district. The elementary schools in that area rank pretty high, but if they stay through high school, they'll be at El Mo - one of the crappier high schools in the county.

Not only that, but does she really want to live in an area where people care so little about who is on their school board that they vote for any random name on the ballot (or don't vote at all), and then bitch when they end up with a certifiable schizophrenic (aka Steve Rocco)?</blockquote>
Maybe she'll send her kids to a private school.</blockquote>

Even with the kids in private school, she'll still be living near yahoos who apparently care so little about their schools that they'd rather pay thousands a year to a private operator than improve their own public district.

El Mo is rated <a href="http://www.city-data.com/school/el-modena-high-ca.html">86 among California schools </a>on a scale of 0 to 100. That's pretty good. We're in the Orange High district and my neighbor made a special effort to get her kid into El Mo because it's considered a considerably better school than Orange High.

I commend her on her choice. Sometimes, you just have to go for the gusto and do what feels right for you and your family.

Her daughter is only entering Kindergarten in the fall of 2010. Who knows, maybe she'll decide to homeschool (OMG! Parish the thought!) and opt to be a stay at home momma/blogger.

Being so close to Irvine wouldn't be so bad and not living in the heart of Orange sounds good to me.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258714893]Here in IHB standard any school falls short of the top 10 is not acceptable.</blockquote>

And that's a shame. The high school I attended is a 62 - the highest in the county by a long shot. I turned out okay.

The fact somebody is dissing an opportunity to attend an 86 is reprehensible ? and does a disservice to the greatest factor to your child succeeding in education ? namely, involved and active parents.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1259118789][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258714893]Here in IHB standard any school falls short of the top 10 is not acceptable.</blockquote>

And that's a shame. The high school I attended is a 62 - the highest in the county by a long shot. I turned out okay.

The fact somebody is dissing an opportunity to attend an 86 is reprehensible ? and does a disservice to the greatest factor to your child succeeding in education ? namely, involved and active parents.</blockquote>

I hope you did not take my comment seriously.

Can you tell when I am serious and not?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259126465][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1259118789][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258714893]Here in IHB standard any school falls short of the top 10 is not acceptable.</blockquote>

The fact somebody is dissing an opportunity to attend an 86 is reprehensible ? and does a disservice to the greatest factor to your child succeeding in education ? namely, involved and active parents.</blockquote>

Can you tell when I am serious and not?</blockquote>

Sometimes no, bk. But that's ok, keeping us guessing is alright. Unfortunately, you might be joking but some of the population around here might actually be serious about that statement.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259126465][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1259118789][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258714893]Here in IHB standard any school falls short of the top 10 is not acceptable.</blockquote>

I knew you were messing around, which was fine.

OCresident73 ment it, and that wasn't OK. There is a real meme around here that you nailed dead center, and it more than pisses me off.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1259127850][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259126465][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1259118789][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258714893]Here in IHB standard any school falls short of the top 10 is not acceptable.</blockquote>

I knew you were messing around, which was fine.

OCresident73 ment it, and that wasn't OK. There is a real meme around here that you nailed dead center, and it more than pisses me off.</blockquote>

Yes, I did mean it, but because I speak from experience, not from some inherent sense of Irvine snobbery. I lived in East Orange for 10 years. I found most of my neighbors, as well as many of the Old Towne historic society people to quite bigoted and intolerable. I attended the raucous school board meetings about 10 years ago, shortly after I moved there, when the El Mo student who tried to start an LGBT club was villified for engaging in beastiality. No, I'm not kidding. I hoped this was just a fluke until I got to know more of my neighbors, and later regretted that, for similar reasons. At the time, Orange Unified teachers were the lowest paid teachers of any district in the county. Now they're about in the middle, but it will take years for morale to improve.

When Steve Rocco was elected to the school board for, as far as anyone can tell, indicating "Educator" as his occupation, I finally knew that Orange residents deserve what they wish for - a poorly run district that thrives on intolerance. While some El Mo parents may very well be involved parents, when they teach their children the kind of horrid stereotypes and ignorance that I heard firsthand, I can only say that I fear for our future, since those kids will be in charge one day.

My husband has told me some pretty scary stories about where the actual die-hard Orange residents originate. I know from these stories that there are, in fact, many more issues related to race in Orange than just those that affect the school district. Thanks for the bit of your history in Orange, OCres. There's definitely more than meets the eye there and I guess we can't stereotype people's reasons for their choices in education for their kids.

[quote author="tmare" date=1259150886]My husband has told me some pretty scary stories about where the actual die-hard Orange residents originate. I know from these stories that there are, in fact, many more issues related to race in Orange than just those that affect the school district. Thanks for the bit of your history in Orange, OCres. There's definitely more than meets the eye there and I guess we can't stereotype people's reasons for their choices in education for their kids.</blockquote>

tmare - thanks for your thoughts. I didn't want to get too long winded in a blog post, so I left out all of the crazy crap that happened in my 10 years years of Orange residency to the non-white folk in Orange. Basically if you're white or Asian, you're acceptable. If you even kinda look like you might be Mexican or Central American, you have problems. I suppose as long as Erika drives a nice minvan or something of a European variety, she'll probably be fine. But I can guarantee that even if her new neighbors don't say anything to her face, the only reason they'll bother to talk to her is because they know she works for the local paper. Behind closed doors, they'll say all sorts of things not suitable for a family blog.

Back