Foreclosure Process question...

frank69m_IHB

Haven't posted in a little while. Looks like things are slowing down on the forums...

A few questions on the foreclosure process.

Once the homeowner gets a Notice of Default (pre-foreclosure phase),

at what point does the bank send the Notice of Trustee Sale after the

Notice of Default?

Can the owners still sell short if no one bids on the property at auction and can the

short sales process still be going on when the auction still occurs?

Is the indicator of an auction by the bank, a sign that the bank isn't interested in

a short sales?

Once it gets back to the bank if no one bids on it, does the bank try to sell it again

via the normal selling route?

[quote author="frank69m" date=1258270193]Haven't posted in a little while. Looks like things are slowing down on the forums...

A few questions on the foreclosure process.

Notice of Default?

</blockquote>
A minimum of 21 days, but it is rarely less than 30 days and usually closer to 60 days. I think.

[quote author="frank69m" date=1258270193]

Can the owners still sell short if no one bids on the property at auction and can the

short sales process still be going on when the auction still occurs?

</blockquote>
No, the owners may not sell short if no one bids on the property at auction, because if no one bids at the auction, the bank becomes the owner of the property, and the previous owners are no longer the owners and they no longer have any legal interest in the property. You can not sell what you do not own.

After the auction, the new owners, either the bank or a third party, can sell the property if they want, but it will not be a short sale, because there will be no loan on the property. I guess it is possible to sell short if there is another more senior lien on the property that is more than the property is worth.

Is the indicator of an auction by the bank, a sign that the bank isn't interested in

a short sales?

</blockquote>
No. If the owner never listed the home for sale, the bank has no prerogative to induce or express interest or lack of interest in a short sale.

Also, maybe the bank is interested in a short sale and the home was listed as such, but no acceptable offers were made.

And the point is mute, because after the auction, who cares what the bank was interested in?

Once it gets back to the bank if no one bids on it, does the bank try to sell it again

via the normal selling route?</blockquote>
Yes, or an abnormal selling route, such as bundling 100 properties together and selling them to an investor for a huge discount.

How did I do Graphrix?

[quote author="awgee" date=1258277268]How did I do Graphrix?</blockquote>

Great job! I think you may have even said it better than I could.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1258303552][quote author="awgee" date=1258277268]How did I do Graphrix?</blockquote>

Great job! I think you may have even said it better than I could.</blockquote>

Thanks. I am getting all misty.

<blockquote>

Notice of Default?

A minimum of 21 days, but it is rarely less than 30 days and usually closer to 60 days. I think.

</blockquote>

It's a minimum of <b>90</b> days. (and this is not legal or financial advice, YMMV)

The 21 day minimum is the time from NTS to Sale Date. And you are correct, that's getting stretched out to a typical 30 or 60 days. Then followed by a high probablity of postponement.

Step 1 stop making payments.

Step 2 the bank nags you

Step 3 you continue not making payments

Step 4 the bank officially tells you to pay (Notice of Default)

With steps 1-4, practically, it's a few to several months before getting to step 4.

Step 5 is you fail bring the loan current. You have 90 days, minimum. It's common seeing this stage stretched out 6, 12 or 18 months today. You can sell, short sell, try a loan mod, or many things to delay.

Step 6 The bank finally gives you the NTS and sets a Sales date a minimum 21 days out. Most likley 30 days and often 60 days.

Step 7 you can still bring the loan current, sell the house, put a short sale notice in front of the bank, file bankruptcy, call a lawyer to fight, or just make up a good story about the unfortunate events in your life and how you now have it back together or do a loan work out to get another delay.

Step 8 you still fail to correct, you don't BK, and the loan mods, short sells and knifecathers don't come through. Nor does the lawyer because, well because, ironically, you're one of the many doesn't have a technicality on their loan docs.

Step 9 Sale dates finally comes, it's likley several postponements after the orginal date, I'd guess at least 3 if not more, if you tried at all to convince the bank you were actually trying. You do nothing.

Step 10 the Auction at the Courthouse. 2/3rds of the homes go back to the bank. You squat comfortably in your home waiting for the bank. If the an investor with a clue bought it (somewhat less than 1/3rd being bought), expect a knock in a couple hours.

Step 11 knock knock, lucky you it's several weeks later and the bank finally got a broker assigned to come by and start kicking you out and take a look at the place. As he eyes the pergranteel visible from the door and the socket wrench in your hands, he decides a cash for keys approach may be the best approach.

Step 12 you work out a deal

Step 13 you pack up and move out at the appointed date.

Of course, the fast track path looks like the following:

Step 1 you miss the payment

Step 2 the bank gives you the NOD

Step 3 90 days later you get the NTS setting the sales date

Step 4 21 days later your house is sold

Step 5 the sheriff shows up with the new owner that afternoon and makes you drag your stuff out of the house that is no longer yours.

Which way it goes largely depends on what the debtor does, who has the loan and whom buys it.

There are also Redmption and Confirmation states that give the owner (homedebtor) addtional days to cure they account and "redeem" the property. The timelines for Confirmation states are generally 60-75 days and up to 90 days for Redemption states.

Thanks so much for the reply guys. I guess the big question is, if it gets back tot he bank, how do you contact them about the purchase. It think this is the tough part. I guess even if that part works, you still need to kick out the squatters in your new home.

Back