Placentia Tamale Festival

caycifish

Graph and I read about this and are going to head down there tomorrow. If we don't walk away with tamales, we will just have to head over to Fiesta Market to get stuff to make our own.

Tamale festival: The 15th annual Tamale Festival and presentation of Las Posadas takes place in Placentia on Tuesday, Dec. 8.

The celebration is set for the 100-200 block of Santa Fe Avenue from 4-9 p.m. Free admission includes a re-enactment of Mary and Joseph's search for lodging ? called Las Posadas.

The event includes music by the Mariachi Divas and other groups, a choir, Santa Claus, food, crafts, and free shuttles from Sam's Club.

So Graph and I went down there tonight.

For the future (or the next 2 hours):

1) Parking is crazy. Just drive around the neighborhood until you find something.
2) Get there early if you want to get in line for tamales. We got there around 4:20 and two stalls already had long lines. We determined that these must be the best two places, and we got in the longer of the two lines. I know this sounds strange, but we wanted to make sure the trip was worth our time.
3) Tacos San Pedro was the line we ended up in. We ordered taco combo platters to eat then as well as a combination of chicken, pork, beef and "sweet" tamales. No, I don't know what that means yet but we got two to see what "sweet" is. They were $2 each or a dozen for $22. 2 Taco, rice and bean combo was $5.
4) We determined the al pastor and chicken tacos to be superior to the carne. We plan on going to the restaurant in Yorba Linda another time to try the chicken in enchilada form.
5) We tried one chicken and one pork tamale at home, and Graph liked them both but I liked the pork a little better.
6) They had champurrado, a hot chocolate with cinnamon, and it was awesome...especially since it was frickin freezing out. I had never had it before but I liked it.
7) Momopi is running towards Tacos San Pedro as I type this. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I've returned!

This is a snack that a fellow Tamale lover was nice enough to share with me as we waited in line:

tamalesfestival1.jpg

Doritos covered with... artery clogging goodness.

Back