Upgrading interior cabinets to Maple Melamine

nytransplant

These cabinet upgrade options are driving me crazy.  Can any one tel me the difference (value) between the standard interiors for the cabinets in Sonoma and the upgraded maple melamine with soft close hinges?  Did anyone get this upgrade?  Any pics out there of the standard cabinet interiors? 

We upgraded to the white because it matches everything.  However, my wife thinks we paid to downgrade to white, since the standard cabinets are pretty nice quality.

nytransplant said:
These cabinet upgrade options are driving me crazy.  Can any one tel me the difference (value) between the standard interiors for the cabinets in Sonoma and the upgraded maple melamine with soft close hinges?  Did anyone get this upgrade?  Any pics out there of the standard cabinet interiors?

I thought about it (but very briefly) because I liked the soft close drawers.  But my wife did not care and I wasn't sure about their longevity since soft close drawer seem like it's got more parts and complexity.

As for the melamine skin on the inside the cabinet, I think it only makes difference if you have glass doors.  Otherwise, you can't see it unless you open the cabinet doors.  People don't usually leave the cabinet doors open anyway.
In my current house, I do have maple melamine skin inside the kitchen cabinet that matches the cabinet exterior.
The inside wall and shelves of the glass door definitely looks nice.  But, inside wall of standard door is not that big deal.  I don't even notice it. 
Actually, I didn't even realized that I had maple melamine in my cabinets until I saw the option list of Sonoma and double checked my current house. .  The cabinet guy didn't give me the option of white interior.  But then, my current cabinet is of higher quality with Plywood construction instead of MDF like Sonoma cabinet, but I digress...

If you do get a glass door in your cabinet, then the maple melamin is included in the option price.

sonoma said:
We upgraded to the white because it matches everything.  However, my wife thinks we paid to downgrade to white, since the standard cabinets are pretty nice quality.

Did you get the Thermafoil or the painted cabinet like the Sonoma plan 3 model?

We got Thermofoil.  To tell you the truth we thought plan 3 was thermofoil too.  I don't think the design center ever gave us a choice when we told her we wanted white cabinets.

soft close drawers are AWESOME.  I can't believe anyone wouldn't want them.  they just gliiiiiide in and close themselves quietly.  Soooooooo great.  Not so much banging around every tme you cook. 

Any one have a picture of the actual upgraded interiors.  the pic on the design website is very generic.  Also does anyone know how much it would cost to do this updrage (interior to melamine, with ply dovetail drawers and soft glide hinges) would cost after the fact.  i figure the ply dovetail part is the expensive feature.

nytransplant said:
Any one have a picture of the actual upgraded interiors.  the pic on the design website is very generic.  Also does anyone know how much it would cost to do this updrage (interior to melamine, with ply dovetail drawers and soft glide hinges) would cost after the fact.  i figure the ply dovetail part is the expensive feature.

I think the dovetail is standard.  Go to Plan 2 model which has the standard cabinetry with only upgrades of glass doors.  You will also be able to see the melamine interior behind the glass doors.  It matches the cabinet exterior. 

I don't think it will be cost efficient to do the upgrade afterwards.  You are talking about all interior wall, shelves, and drawer mechanism.

sonoma said:
We got Thermofoil.  To tell you the truth we thought plan 3 was thermofoil too.  I don't think the design center ever gave us a choice when we told her we wanted white cabinets.

That's what I thought until the design center rep told us otherwise on our first appointment at the model house.  The painted cabinet is not as shiny, but is smoother than the Thermafoil.

I hear different things regarding Thermofoil vs. painted wood.

I just find it interesting that Thermofoil is considered an upgrade since it's basically MDF coated with vinyl. Are the standard cabinets in Sonoma not wood?

irvinehomeowner said:
I hear different things regarding Thermofoil vs. painted wood.

I just find it interesting that Thermofoil is considered an upgrade since it's basically MDF coated with vinyl. Are the standard cabinets in Sonoma not wood?

Thermofoil is not really an "upgrade".  They charge $500 which is more of an "administration" fee for paperwork.  I think theyt should do it for free since the Thermofoil cabinets cheaper than the standard Maple cabinets. 

The standard cabinets have the glazed raised panel solid Maple doors which are really nice.  I think the frame (box) is laminated MDF which almost all builders use, even in $1M++ homes.

So they only charge $500. When I asked, they made it sound like it was an expensive upgrade which I couldn't understand because I know TF is cheaper. Painted wood I would understand as costing more but they didn't mention that option.

My wife likes TF which I find strange considering she hates furniture that is fauxwood or laminate.

I don't like Thermofoil either.  I definitely like soft close drawers.  They are the best.

Doesn't thermofoil have issues with heat?  I heard you have to be careful with color changes around the stove? 

abcd1234 said:
I don't like Thermofoil either.  I definitely like soft close drawers.  They are the best.

Doesn't thermofoil have issues with heat?  I heard you have to be careful with color changes around the stove?

Here's what I found after quick Google search.

Advantages of Thermofoil Cabinets

* Seamless
    * Cheaper than the traditional style painted door
    * Less expensive than real wood with a similar look
    * Easy to clean

Disadvantages of Thermofoil Cabinets

* Possibility of the glue letting loose of the core underneath
    * Not heat resistant
    * After long periods of time the colors change
    * Doors are not easily replaced for several reasons

Well I'm happy if Jumpcut is happy.  ;D  I think the design center could have done a better job educating us.  I guess we have to live with our decisions.

sonoma said:
Well I'm happy if Jumpcut is happy.  ;D  I think the design center could have done a better job educating us.  I guess we have to live with our decisions.

I don't see anything wrong with Thermofoil.  Like stated in the advantage/disadvantage, it is very easy to keep clean.  I think only thing to watch out for is the heat for the cabinet around the cooktop.  Just run your exhaust fan whenever you cook. 
As far as the color change over time, that's true for hardwood cabinets as well.  Maple becomes more yellow and cherry becomes more red over time, especially ones that get more light exposure. 

Well if they are putting this type of cabinet in million dollar homes then I feel bettter.

O.T.  I really like how Sonoma exhaust fan lead the smoke to go outside rather than recycle back into the house.  :)

sonoma said:
Well if they are putting this type of cabinet in million dollar homes then I feel bettter.

O.T.  I really like how Sonoma exhaust fan lead the smoke to go outside rather than recycle back into the house.  :)

All of the Sonoma bathroom and laundry cabinets are Thermofoil unless you upgrade, so you have a matching cabinets throughout the house. 

Do any of the 2010 collection have the recirculating exhaust fan??  That is yucky.  The charcoal filter can only filter out so much...

sonoma said:
I don't know of any exhaust fans that recycle back into the house... at least not the ones over the cooktop.

Wha? Upgrading to Melamine?  Melamine is a notch below formica, it's what makes Ikea, well Ikea.  You mean you have pay for a melamine cabinets?  A neighbor has Thermofoil, and several of the most used drawers are starting to peel.  They also have changed color over the years and they brought back some sample cabinets doors from a supplier nothing matches the current patina.  It's not horrible, but would be noticeable. 

Back