Chicken & Dumplings

You may be pleased to know that the American version (from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook) calls for shortening (the white paste in the Crisco can) instead of suet. If you need the dumpling part of the recipe, let me know.

[quote author="novaseline"]I never imagined the expat Limey would want grub on some good old fashioned USA trailer park eats. LOL.[/quote]

I'm a Hillbillimey!! ;D

[quote author="evalseraphim"]You may be pleased to know that the American version (from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook) calls for shortening (the white paste in the Crisco can) instead of suet. If you need the dumpling part of the recipe, let me know.[/quote]

Yes please Eva!!

[quote author="peteruk"]
[quote author="evalseraphim"]You may be pleased to know that the American version (from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook) calls for shortening (the white paste in the Crisco can) instead of suet. If you need the dumpling part of the recipe, let me know.[/quote]

Yes please Eva!![/quote]

Dumplings

2 cups (285 g) flour (all purpose is my guess)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced parsley
4 tablespoons shortening
3/4 to 1 cup milk

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and parsley in a bowl. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup milk and stir briefly with fork. Add only enough of the remaining milk to make the dough hold together. While the chicken is still simmering (about 20 minutes in), drop spoonfuls of the dough on top of the broth. Cover and steam for 20 minutes without lifting the lid of the pot.

I have not made this before, so YMMV.

My mom always just used the recipe on the box of Bisquick. So that's all I know how to do, and I think it's pretty tasty. But then I was raised in the 909...

[quote author="caycifish"]My mom always just used the recipe on the box of Bisquick. So that's all I know how to do, and I think it's pretty tasty. But then I was raised in the 909...[/quote]

Heh, what Petah and Cayci have in common... they are both expats from another... uh... land.

[quote author="graphrix"]
[quote author="caycifish"]My mom always just used the recipe on the box of Bisquick. So that's all I know how to do, and I think it's pretty tasty. But then I was raised in the 909...[/quote]

Heh, what Petah and Cayci have in common... they are both expats from another... uh... land. [/quote]

Yeah, we're both Furners ...

Back