Places to go with Chinese language students

Anonymous_IHB

My kid is taking Chinese and the teacher said I am supposed to find excuses to hang out places where there is Chinese, watch Chinese movies/videos, get Chinese books etc.

However, I don't know any Chinese and need to help with suggestions.

1. What grocery stores in or near Irvine have mostly Chinese in them? (Has to be somewhere very very safe - only place in Anaheim I'll go is Disneyland, etc). Might as well shop there with the kid sometimes so they can translate what the stuff is for me.

2. Are there entertaining any Chinese movies or TV shows I can get that they might like? If there are ones with the Chinese close captioning (so they can see it written and hear it at the same time), that would be great. The kid is really, really into manga of all kinds. Also Sci Fi.

3. Are there any good entertaining books or book series with Traditional Chinese characters they might like? Particularly any Manga ones?

I would suggest Arbor Village Center at Jeffrey and Walnut. I was once hired at the dental office there and every patient was Chinese. I believe there's also a 99 Ranch there.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1254433231]I would suggest Arbor Village Center at Jeffrey and Walnut. I was once hired at the dental office there and every patient was Chinese. I believe there's also a 99 Ranch there.</blockquote>

Lower level next to the pond? 2004-2005?

I would suggest going to a bubble tea shop. Some of them have shelves of manga translated into Chinese sitting around that you can browse. A lot of Taiwanese youngsters hang out at those places as well so sometimes it feels like you're in Taipei with everyone around you speaking Mandarin. Not sure which place is popular these days, but I do recall the one at Arbor Village was not bad.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1254444350][quote author="SoCal78" date=1254433231]I would suggest Arbor Village Center at Jeffrey and Walnut. I was once hired at the dental office there and every patient was Chinese. I believe there's also a 99 Ranch there.</blockquote>

Lower level next to the pond? 2004-2005?</blockquote>

Yes, lower level next to the pond. A very short period in 2001. Bk, you might find it funny that they were trying to expand their patient demographic by hiring a gwailo to sit in the front office near the window with few tasks other than being visible.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1254445062][quote author="bkshopr" date=1254444350][quote author="SoCal78" date=1254433231]I would suggest Arbor Village Center at Jeffrey and Walnut. I was once hired at the dental office there and every patient was Chinese. I believe there's also a 99 Ranch there.</blockquote>

Lower level next to the pond? 2004-2005?</blockquote>

Yes, lower level next to the pond. A very short period in 2001. Bk, you might find it funny that they were trying to expand their patient demographic by hiring a gwailo to sit in the front office near the window with few tasks other than being visible.</blockquote>

I remembered their strategy exactly. I was working in Irvine at the time and selected a dentist location from a book in 2004 not knowing the practice was all Chinese except for the receptionist. I thought I mentioned that and perhaps we might have already met prior to IHB.

[quote author="Oxtail" date=1254444607]I would suggest going to a bubble tea shop. Some of them have shelves of manga translated into Chinese sitting around that you can browse. A lot of Taiwanese youngsters hang out at those places as well so sometimes it feels like you're in Taipei with everyone around you speaking Mandarin. Not sure which place is popular these days, but I do recall the one at Arbor Village was not bad.</blockquote>

85C and Guppy House at Diamond Jamboree replicate a Taipei experience pretty well, so my in-laws tell me.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1254424891]My kid is taking Chinese and the teacher said I am supposed to find excuses to hang out places where there is Chinese, watch Chinese movies/videos, get Chinese books etc.

1. What grocery stores in or near Irvine have mostly Chinese in them? (Has to be somewhere very very safe - only place in Anaheim I'll go is Disneyland, etc). Might as well shop there with the kid sometimes so they can translate what the stuff is for me.

2. Are there entertaining any Chinese movies or TV shows I can get that they might like? If there are ones with the Chinese close captioning (so they can see it written and hear it at the same time), that would be great. The kid is really, really into manga of all kinds. Also Sci Fi.

3. Are there any good entertaining books or book series with Traditional Chinese characters they might like? Particularly any Manga ones?</blockquote>

There is a manga store near the Garden Cafe on Jeffrey that has TONS of different series of books.. also BK can probably recommend some.

My husband taught himself Spanish. He got started by watching American TV series and movies dubbed in Spanish that he had already heard in English. It really work well for him. Maybe you could find your kid's favorite TV show dubbed in Chinese.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254468738][quote author="Anonymous" date=1254424891]My kid is taking Chinese and the teacher said I am supposed to find excuses to hang out places where there is Chinese, watch Chinese movies/videos, get Chinese books etc.

3. Are there any good entertaining books or book series with Traditional Chinese characters they might like? Particularly any Manga ones?</blockquote>

There is a manga store near the Garden Cafe on Jeffrey that has TONS of different series of books.. also BK can probably recommend some.</blockquote>

Do you have a cross street? I can't find Garden Cafe on Google.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1254526505][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254468738][quote author="Anonymous" date=1254424891]My kid is taking Chinese and the teacher said I am supposed to find excuses to hang out places where there is Chinese, watch Chinese movies/videos, get Chinese books etc.

There is a manga store near the Garden Cafe on Jeffrey that has TONS of different series of books.. also BK can probably recommend some.</blockquote>

Do you have a cross street? I can't find Garden Cafe on Google.</blockquote>

Sorry she meant a Chinese Cafe in the Arbor Shopping Center at Jeffrey and Walnut similar to a popular Chinese chain restaurant "Garden Cafe". There is a Chinese book and magazine store in the center. Beware of the Chinese Playboy and Penthhouse magazines because they are not in shrink wrap and not set on upper racks. You will find some children books there.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1254540727][quote author="Anonymous" date=1254526505][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254468738][quote author="Anonymous" date=1254424891]My kid is taking Chinese and the teacher said I am supposed to find excuses to hang out places where there is Chinese, watch Chinese movies/videos, get Chinese books etc.

Do you have a cross street? I can't find Garden Cafe on Google.</blockquote>

Sorry she meant a Chinese Cafe in the Arbor Shopping Center at Jeffrey and Walnut similar to a popular Chinese chain restaurant "Garden Cafe". There is a Chinese book and magazine store in the center. Beware of the Chinese Playboy and Penthhouse magazines because they are not in shrink wrap and not set on upper racks. You will find some children books there.</blockquote>

Thanks, just went, that was the perfect place to go.

Back