Above garage storage

irvinehomeowner

I think I started a thread like this on another forum but has anyone installed these themselves or used that company that advertises on the mailers?

Not having a 3WCG is killing us because it's basically a 1-car garage. I need to put my junk somewhere and our garage is pretty tall.

The ones I see are either 6ft or 8ft (can't remember) white wire shelves that are able to support 250lbs of weight.

I have one made of 2x4 and plywood, about 8'x12', and it supports ~1000lbs.

You want one like this professionally installed, but they are not that expensive.

freedomcm said:

You want one like this professionally installed, but they are not that expensive.
Did you make it and install it yourself? How much do you charge?  :D

irvinehomeowner said:
freedomcm said:

Did you make it and install it yourself? How much do you charge?  :D

Well, let's see, maybe 20 hours at my hourly rate, plus supplies....$10k!

(I actually don't know which company did it, as it was in place when I moved in.  I would guesstimate it was a $2k job)

$2k is more reasonable than $10k.

That SafeRack company that annabanana linked to has a special for $525 for two 8x4 white racks (600lbs each) installation and tax included. I was contacted by two installers for them yesterday so I need to decide which one to go with. I'm probably going to do about 4 of those things so it should cost me about a G.

I'll let you guys know how it turned out.

Hi IHO
Any follow ups on Saferacks? Is there a minimum ceiling height required for these? Am looking to put one in.

Sorry... ended up spending that money elsewhere.

I still want to do it... need to turn my 2-car garage into something I can park 2 cars into (that's why I need a 3-car garage). The IHO-mobile needs to escape the harshness of the SoCal sun and the neighbor's off-target sprinklers.

Not sure if there is a minimum because you can make them as tall or short as you want... they'll probably go over that with you.

Has anyone else tried SafeRacks or did their own?

irvinehomeowner said:
Sorry... ended up spending that money elsewhere.

I still want to do it... need to turn my 2-car garage into something I can park 2 cars into (that's why I need a 3-car garage). The IHO-mobile needs to escape the harshness of the SoCal sun and the neighbor's off-target sprinklers.

Not sure if there is a minimum because you can make them as tall or short as you want... they'll probably go over that with you.

Has anyone else tried SafeRacks or did their own?

I just finished doing my own storage in my garage with the help of my father-in-law. We basically used wood planks and plywood boards. I am extremely happy with the results, plus we got to customize it to the way we wanted.. It was a challenge to do it on our own, but I think we spent a total of $100-$200 total on materials. Also, it cost that much because we built a lot of storage shelves. Ill try to post some pics later on.

:) Great, Kubert, good for you.

So as an update: I had Safe Racks (which is also Garage Concepts) come by to install the racks in the garage, and they told me its not possible!  :( because our house is one of the few that is steel framed in Irvine. Go figure! Yeah, I did forget to mention that our house is steel framed, but bummer.. they dont have the right hardware for that developed and tested and refused to take on the liability. I have to say the guy that came out was super knowledgable and reasonable so I think they might be a good bet if anyone was wondering

:) Thanks guys. Back to the drawing board.

So we finally did it... got SafeRacks (GarageConcept like julstride mentioned) to install two 8x4 units (we had that coupon for $588 tax/installation included).

All I have to say is OMG OMG OMG. We spent most of the afternoon filling those Rubbermaid storage bins and loading them up there and they aren't even 1/3 full. It stores so much stuff we don't even think once we are done will will have used all the storage space.

The big decision was where to put them such that the 36" height doesn't interfere with the walk space and the outer garage door. Ended up splitting the units one on each side. They are just over 6" off the ground so if you're tall... they may not work for you. They have to be that far from the ceiling (36") so you can stack two storage bins on top of each other. We also got some hooks to hang a bike off of.

Should have done this a long time ago... maybe I don't need a 3CWG (but even if we end up with one, we'll definitely do SafeRacks on it).

The guy we used was great... I'll post later with his contact info and maybe a picture of the racks.

So how's the storage working out?  Thinking of take some off my friends hand since they're moving.. I definitely need the space since I want to get the second fridge soon...

ps9 said:
So how's the storage working out?  Thinking of take some off my friends hand since they're moving.. I definitely need the space since I want to get the second fridge soon...
I would get them even if I had a 3CWG.

Here are the pics from my "foolish" thread:

157m6uh.jpg
24lk6kj.jpg

In our first home, our garage had a vaulted ceiling (yes... PS9... the garage had a vaulted ceiling) and the previous owner added a kind of attic space complete with a pull-down ladder (it was even carpeted). I've missed that storage space and now this brings back memories.

I have to add another light to the middle of the ceiling because the one on the left blocks it but other than that... it's very convenient. I can walk under it as long as I'm not wearing high heels (!) but I do duck a little just in case. We still haven't filled both of them but that's because some of the stuff we have is heavier and we don't want to test that 600lb capacity. So we are rearranging our storage boxes with lighter things and putting the heavier things on the side storage shelves (we used those industrial strength ones like you see in Costco... not the fancy cabinets).

The guy we used was from GarageConcepts and this is his website:
http://www.RoomToPark.com

They also do epoxy coating and cabinets but I think they are pricey.

So we're taking over my friends garage racks.. made and installed by this company..
http://www.topprax.com/

1000 lbs capacity... getting it for $400 installed (used).  hopefully it goes well... can't wait to move crap upwards.. tired of parking in the driveway to let out passengers.. and tired of finding room for crap we're too sentimental/cheap to throw away.. up up and away.. out of sight out of mind

Just watched the video and I can see the merits of their product and why they can claim a 1000lbs capacity vs 600lbs like ours.

Ours does have the c-channel frames but only the "lay on top" racks... boo. I'm not too worried about it as long as you careful about weight distribution but next time we'll use Topp Rax.

Hopefully it goes well... texted the owner last night and confirmed the un-install from my friend's place and then install onto my garage.. He wants cash...$200... oh well.. my friend highly recommends him.. guess he's vetted.

Problem solved!

the middle supports allow up to 1000lbs but i'm not gonna test it

every piece is bolted to each other

Only time will tell if this was a good investment

It's 33" to the metal wire platform where I will be stacking stuff... 36" to the bottom of the rack

Back