Wiring Hub

nytransplant

All of the new homes have a wiring hub (usually in the master closet).  I actually have one in my current apt and was able to hook up my VOIP to all of the existing phone jacks.  My question is can an internet router be hooked up right in this data hub without a computer, so that the existing data ports become useful? Or is there another way to use these data ports.

Yes, you can have your router or modem connected directly in the box.  At the Montecito homes, the wiring hubs are located in the laundry rooms.  Inside the hub is where ALL of the Cable, Phone, and Internet wiring comes in.  There, you can plug in your modem and have your internet distributed to all of the data ports through a switch that has DHCP built it.  Also, you can connect all of your cable outlets, or, as you said, connect your VOIP to all of the existing phone jacks.

I also have VOIP, but I use a service called Ooma, which allows you to purchase this VOIP box for $250 and then never pay a phone bill again.  New customers, however, are responsible for gov't taxes and fees per month, about $3, but that's it.  You get unlimited calling in the US.  I got the service about a year ago, and I bought it when no taxes were applicable, so I don't.  However, my point is that this one has the functionality to not only be able to distribute the dial tone to all jacks through the wiring port, but also has the ability to distribute the tone from ANY Jack in the house.  Simply by plugging into the wall the port that would normally go into the phone itself.  I plug that into the wall, and voila, the dial tone is everywhere.  But YMMV.

jumpcut said:
Hm, I need to take off the panel in my master closet and figure out how to send Internet to all the Ethernet connections in my house.  I have Cox for phone, Internet and TV but when the guy installed the modem in the panel, he only sent Internet to the Ethernet in my office, where I have a wi-fi router installed.  I have a dead (currently) Ethernet plug on the wall right in back of my TV in the great room, I'm sure I could get a much faster connection from that instead of the wi-fi dongle I have connected to the TV now.

Yes, that is how it is set up by default.  When I closed escrow, Cox only had the connection going to my Kitchen.  That is why I needed to buy a switch.  Right now, probably, your network setup is this: From Cable -> Cox Modem -> Office.  Instead, if you purchase a switch with DHCP built in, it would be from Cable -> Cox Modem -> Switch -> Every port in your home.  If you open your wiring hub, you will see all of the ethernet cords from the outlets at different rooms just sitting there connected to nothing.  When you get a switch, all of those ethernet cords would plug into the switch.

jumpcut said:
ajw522 said:
jumpcut said:
Hm, I need to take off the panel in my master closet and figure out how to send Internet to all the Ethernet connections in my house.  I have Cox for phone, Internet and TV but when the guy installed the modem in the panel, he only sent Internet to the Ethernet in my office, where I have a wi-fi router installed.  I have a dead (currently) Ethernet plug on the wall right in back of my TV in the great room, I'm sure I could get a much faster connection from that instead of the wi-fi dongle I have connected to the TV now.

Yes, that is how it is set up by default.  When I closed escrow, Cox only had the connection going to my Kitchen.  That is why I needed to buy a switch.  Right now, probably, your network setup is this: From Cable -> Cox Modem -> Office.  Instead, if you purchase a switch with DHCP built in, it would be from Cable -> Cox Modem -> Switch -> Every port in your home.  If you open your wiring hub, you will see all of the ethernet cords from the outlets at different rooms just sitting there connected to nothing.  When you get a switch, all of those ethernet cords would plug into the switch.
I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff, would you happen to have a link from Fry's or Amazon or another website so I know what kind of switch to buy?  Thanks!

Sure, but first, I need to know a little more about your network configuration.  How many ethernet outlets does your home have that you need powered?  Also, how many Ethernet ports are there on your wireless router?

Thanks for the info.  So then the data ports become useful.

If I got it right:  in the box you can hook up the cable --> modem --> router --> then data port wires.  And you hook up the cable --> VOIP box --> phone port wires.  Right?

THen I guess you put a wireless router outside the box connected to one of the data ports?

nytransplant said:
Thanks for the info.  So then the data ports become useful.

If I got it right:  in the box you can hook up the cable --> modem --> router --> then data port wires.  And you hook up the cable --> VOIP box --> phone port wires.  Right?

THen I guess you put a wireless router outside the box connected to one of the data ports?

The first part is correct.  You plug it in cable -> modem -> router or switch -> data ports connect into router or switch.

Now, regarding your VOIP box question, that depends - how does your VOIP box connect to the internet?  Through the coaxial cable or through an ethernet cord?

Also, you have the option to put the wireless router either in the box with your modem or, yes, outside at one of the data ports.  If it's on one of the data ports, you will most likely get better signal to your devices as well.

jumpcut said:
ajw522 said:
Sure, but first, I need to know a little more about your network configuration.  How many ethernet outlets does your home have that you need powered?  Also, how many Ethernet ports are there on your wireless router?
I think there are 5 ethernet outlets, but I only need two powered.  My router has 4 ports, two of which are in use...one with a desktop plugged in, the other with a Sprint Airave femtocell (which acts as a mini cell phone tower to improve reception).

OK, I now understand your setup.  Here's what you would need to do:

In your hub, take the cord that is currently connected to your modem out.  That is the cord that connects your office outlet.  Instead, plug that into this router (http://www.frys.com/product/5913714?site=sa:Networking:Spot2).  This will be able to distribute the internet to all of the ports.  You simply plug the modem into the router, and then all of the other ports into the router (spots to plug it in are all labeled).  However, this router only has 4 plug ins, but since you said you only need 2, I think you are OK.

If you need a more in-depth answer for your specific network configuration, PM me and I'll help you out.

PS: I currently have an AT&T MicroCell femtocell device and it works great!  I love how I now get 5 bars in my home when I used to get 0-1 at best.

ajw522 said:
If you need a more in-depth answer for your specific network configuration, PM me and I'll help you out.

PS: I currently have an AT&T MicroCell femtocell device and it works great!  I love how I now get 5 bars in my home when I used to get 0-1 at best.

Thanks for sharing.  I have always wondered about how that Microcell would work.  How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

fe9000 said:
ajw522 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I have always wondered about how that Microcell would work.  How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

It retails for $149.99, but I spent 3 hours on the phone with AT&T one Saturday, and finally , I got transferred to a customer relations manager who ended up telling me to go buy the MicroCell, and then he credited my account in full.  So, I got it for free :)

jumpcut said:
ajw522 said:
jumpcut said:
ajw522 said:
I think there are 5 ethernet outlets, but I only need two powered.  My router has 4 ports, two of which are in use...one with a desktop plugged in, the other with a Sprint Airave femtocell (which acts as a mini cell phone tower to improve reception).

OK, I now understand your setup.  Here's what you would need to do:

In your hub, take the cord that is currently connected to your modem out.  That is the cord that connects your office outlet.  Instead, plug that into this router (http://www.frys.com/product/5913714?site=sa:Networking:Spot2).  This will be able to distribute the internet to all of the ports.  You simply plug the modem into the router, and then all of the other ports into the router (spots to plug it in are all labeled).  However, this router only has 4 plug ins, but since you said you only need 2, I think you are OK.

So I just put a standard wireless router in the panel between the modem and all the ports?  I guess I just wouldn't use the wireless part since I already have a wi-fi router connected to the office data port.  Anyway, I think I got it, thanks for your help.

I've had my femtocell for about 2 years now, it works great for voice but the data is only 1x.  Sprint is supposed to be coming out with a 3G femtocell within a few months so I'm planning on trading mine in for that.

Exactly.  It's a standard router, but yes, you would not be using the wireless portion on that.

A couple of things to add.  The Linksys wireless router ajw listed is fine, but if you plan on transferring a lot of files/data between your computers/devices at home, I'd suggest getting a router that has gigabit ports.  The one he listed has 10/100 mbits ports.  Transferring gigs of info over 10/100 (such as backups *Time Machine on MACs* or streaming HD media at home to your TV), is slow... especially if someone else is also on your home network browsing the web, or downloading, or transferring files, etc.

As ajw mentioned, the ports on the back of the router will be labeled so that you connect the cable from your modem to the "wan" port of the router.  It should be labled as such and is usually not grouped with the other 4 switched port.

Finally, keeping your router in the metal cabinet along with the modem and wiring is nice and clean... but is a big pain if you have to reset the router often.  Our wiring cabinet is in the master closet behind long hanging clothes.  I have to take down all of the hanging clothes, unscrew 6 long screws and then unplug/replug the power to reset the wireless router.  We just got a new one so hopefully we don't have to reset it often.

jvna said:
A couple of things to add.  The Linksys wireless router ajw listed is fine, but if you plan on transferring a lot of files/data between your computers/devices at home, I'd suggest getting a router that has gigabit ports.  The one he listed has 10/100 mbits ports.  Transferring gigs of info over 10/100 (such as backups *Time Machine on MACs* or streaming HD media at home to your TV), is slow... especially if someone else is also on your home network browsing the web, or downloading, or transferring files, etc.

As ajw mentioned, the ports on the back of the router will be labeled so that you connect the cable from your modem to the "wan" port of the router.  It should be labled as such and is usually not grouped with the other 4 switched port.

Finally, keeping your router in the metal cabinet along with the modem and wiring is nice and clean... but is a big pain if you have to reset the router often.  Our wiring cabinet is in the master closet behind long hanging clothes.  I have to take down all of the hanging clothes, unscrew 6 long screws and then unplug/replug the power to reset the wireless router.  We just got a new one so hopefully we don't have to reset it often.

Yes, but while Gigabit routers are faster, they are more expensive, and I have noticed that even while I have a normal 10/100 router, mine still works really fast.

And regarding the resetting the router, yes!  That's exactly why I upgraded mine to a router very simliar to the one I posted from Frys for jumpcut.  Works like a charm.

jumpcut said:
Since I already have a wireless router hooked up to the ethernet plug in the office, would a simple switch like this be ok to put in the panel between the modem and 4 of the ethernet cords?http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-1105-5-Port-Desktop-Switch/dp/B000GHD73Y

I'm just concerned having two wifi routers on the network will cause problems with conflicting MAC addresses.

No, a simple switch like that would not work because it does not have DHCP built in - meaning that it does not give out new IP address to other devices, something that your wireless router in your office will need.  A normal wireless router has DHCP built in a gives each device on the network a new IP address.  There will be no problem with the MAC address.  This is the setup that I have right now - I have my modem going to a router which then distributes the signal to all of the outlets. On one of the outlets, I have another wireless router plugged in and this is where all of the computers in my home connect to. And lastly, I have another outlet being used with the AT&T MicroCell device.

Here's another question.  The builder is using blue wire for the data ports.  The white wire is used for all of the voice ports.  But to me, they look exactly the same. 

The blue wires are terminated in the box with plugs.  But the white ones go into this little panel for the telephone. 

Some of my bedrooms don't have blue ports but all of them have a voice port.

If I don't want to use the voice port for the bedroom, can I just yank the white end from the wiring closet, and put a RJ-45 "plug" at the end of it using a crimping tool to instantly make this into a data wire?

Oops.  One more question too.  This is for the voice portion of COX services.

I have COX digital telephone.  So the cable modem is in all in one cable modem/digital telephone thing.  They plug in from Cable-> Cable Modem (From Cox) -> Telephone Jack.  Once you plug in using a telephone cable from cable modem to the wall, then it provides a dial tone to any/all telephone outlets.

Since I would want to move my cable modem to the wiring closet, there is no telephone plug.  I guess I would need to remove the end of my telephone cable and plug it into the telephone box somehow?  Has anyone done this?

escrowbear said:
Here's another question.  The builder is using blue wire for the data ports.  The white wire is used for all of the voice ports.  But to me, they look exactly the same. 

The blue wires are terminated in the box with plugs.  But the white ones go into this little panel for the telephone. 

If I don't want to use the voice port for the bedroom, can I just yank the white end from the wiring closet, and put a RJ-45 "plug" at the end of it using a crimping tool to instantly make this into a data wire?

RJ45 (networking jack) has 4 pairs of wires (8 wires) and RJ11 (telephone/communication jack) has 2 pairs (4 wires).  You might be able to use the Rj45 for phone if you are really careful (you can damage devices if you don't plug in the appropriate ones based on the amount of power used on the jack).  I don't think it'll work for what you want to do.  Another option might be to use the power line networking.  It utilizes the power line in your home to transmit networking data (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm).

jvna said:
escrowbear said:

RJ45 (networking jack) has 4 pairs of wires (8 wires) and RJ11 (telephone/communication jack) has 2 pairs (4 wires).  You might be able to use the Rj45 for phone if you are really careful (you can damage devices if you don't plug in the appropriate ones based on the amount of power used on the jack).  I don't think it'll work for what you want to do.  Another option might be to use the power line networking.  It utilizes the power line in your home to transmit networking data (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm).

That's what I thought too but the white wire actually has 4 pairs as well.  It terminates into a central "hub" device as well in the wiring closet.  I'll try to take a picture later.

On the end that terminates into the bedroom, the jack is actually the size of an RJ-45 jack.  And it is actually labeled as such as well.  But I can plug in either a data connect or phone connect. 

Honestly, If I were you, I would just hire the job out.  Maybe what, $200 to have someone come in and purchase what you need and set it all up. 

Sounds like it is worth it, plus you will be helping out the local economy!

nytransplant said:
does the wireless part of a router work well inside the wiring box

The wireless part WORKS.  Whether it works well or not depends on your walls and the strength of the antenna in the router.  Most newer router should work fine, as long as you don't have concrete walls.

Back