Dinner A'Fare in September

SoCal78_IHB

Would anybody like to go to Dinner A'Fare next month? (Tmare, I know you were hoping for August but would this work?)

For evening and weekend appointments, they typically have Tues-Thurs at 6:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.

<a href="http://www.dinnerafare.com/menu.cfm?locid=0&ofs=1">Here is the menu for September.</a>

Which dates do or don't work for everyone. (Ohnelly, when are you back from your trip and Trojan, when are your CPA classes? Kayochan? Momo? Everybody?? LOL) Lurkers, come out so we can meet you too.

I believe they need a head-count two weeks ahead of time, so that puts us in mid-late September.

Dinner A'Fare is located at:

6238 Irvine Boulevard, Irvine in the Woodbury Town Center

I have to check on the Back to School Night date, but I should be ok for all except Tuesdays (Splashball practice). I'll get back here tomorrow to let you know.

Update: I should be ok for any Tues/Thurs. or Saturday from mid to late September. Wednesdays are yoga days, I could miss a class if need be, but I'd prefer not to :cheese: .

The first two weeks of September won't work for me; we'll be back on the 15th. If you can get a date in early September that works for others, don't feel like you have to wait for me - go ahead and book it!

Kids, I've got some bad news. I just happened to drive past Dinner A'Fare this morning and saw that the place is apparently no longer in business. I called the number just to be sure and the line has been disconnected. No wonder the owner has not returned my email to schedule this event! It's a sign of the times, baby.

Well, I know there are other types of these places out there and I will look around. It may take me a little bit to find out what is available, so bear with me as I find us an alternative solution.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1251510970]Kids, I've got some bad news. I just happened to drive past Dinner A'Fare this morning and saw that the place is apparently no longer in business. I called the number just to be sure and the line has been disconnected. No wonder the owner has not returned my email to schedule this event! It's a sign of the times, baby.

Well, I know there are other types of these places out there and I will look around. It may take me a little bit to find out what is available, so bear with me as I find us an alternative solution.</blockquote>

Its a sign of the times and the damn high rent that the irvine company charges.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1251523286][quote author="SoCal78" date=1251510970]Kids, I've got some bad news. I just happened to drive past Dinner A'Fare this morning and saw that the place is apparently no longer in business. I called the number just to be sure and the line has been disconnected. No wonder the owner has not returned my email to schedule this event! It's a sign of the times, baby.

Well, I know there are other types of these places out there and I will look around. It may take me a little bit to find out what is available, so bear with me as I find us an alternative solution.</blockquote>

Its a sign of the times and the damn high rent that the irvine company charges.</blockquote>

very bad business model to start with. Would have died in good time also.

hmm, yet another reason to move away from Woodbury. I really liked Dinner A'Fare, I was glad they had opened a location closer to me, but from their website, there is only one listing for California now, and it's this one.

What a letdown. And yes, not only does TIC charge exorbitant rents, but they have a horrendous list of requirements for business tenants. Dinner A'Fare's opening in Woodbury was delayed *months* due to the strange things TIC demanded... my favorite being the hinges on the refrigeration units should not be seen from the sidewalk or something... Honestly, I'm not sure why they bothered, the expectations of The Irvine Company are pretty much at odds with a place like that.

Anyone know if there is something else like Dinner A'Fare? I found it really useful for 'pseudo cooking.'

[quote author="badcandy" date=1251572458]hmm, yet another reason to move away from Woodbury. I really liked Dinner A'Fare, I was glad they had opened a location closer to me, but from their website, there is only one listing for California now, and it's this one.

What a letdown. And yes, not only does TIC charge exorbitant rents, but they have a horrendous list of requirements for business tenants. Dinner A'Fare's opening in Woodbury was delayed *months* due to the strange things TIC demanded... my favorite being the hinges on the refrigeration units should not be seen from the sidewalk or something... Honestly, I'm not sure why they bothered, the expectations of The Irvine Company are pretty much at odds with a place like that.

Anyone know if there is something else like Dinner A'Fare? I found it really useful for 'pseudo cooking.'</blockquote>

If I were irvine company, I will never have had leased them the space. How many similar stores like this are successful here in CA as far as you all know? There are two other shut as far as I know - one in mission viejo by 5 off oso , one in AV. And they are both located in smaller shopping centers, and Subway next door still there. Irvine company actually took a chance and give the owner of Dinner A'Fare a shot at success, hey it didn't work out it is not lardlord's fault. There is plenty of foot and vehicle traffic in front of that place as TJ is not far, and there are lot of parents walking around when their kids are in TKD classes every afternoon between 4pm and 730pm.

I'm saddened that The Dinner A'Fare is gone. I don't blame TIC specifically for their problems (clearly it wasn't just the Woodbury location) however... I spoke at length with two different small businesses that opened up in Woodbury Town Center and gave them an ear to bend about what the experience was like and what kind of things TIC insists upon... and now they're both gone. Frankly, I just don't think that it's all that friendly to non-chain stores/startups. That's just my opinion. Maybe TIC shouldn't have 'taken a chance' as you put it, but there are still unrented spaces in the center, so I don't see it as a sacrifice on their part. :p

I found <a href="http://www.dreamdinners.com/main.php?static=index">this.</a> It's called Dream Dinners and is located in Tustin. I haven't had the time to completely check it out but it looks about the same as Dinner A'Fare. Maybe those who are interested could check out the site and let us know what you think.

Update: Ok, now I've checked it out and it does seem virtually the same. They recommend 2-3 weeks for a private party. It looks like their private parties need to be 10-12 people but I'm sure we could just plan a smaller group to go at the same time without reserving the whole place. What do you think SoCal, I say let's get on it!

Thanks, tmare. Yeah, let's try it! The only thing I noticed that is different is that this place has a required minimum order. The site says, "Our minimum order size is 36 servings in any combination of 6-serving or 3-serving dinners." So if somebody wants the small size, they'd be required to buy a dozen meals. I would still try it, though.

For those interested, the Tustin location is at: <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=17351+17th+Street++Tustin+CA+92780&iwloc=A&hl=en">17351 17th Street</a>

I went and created an account so I could figure out what the "sampler menu" was all about. It looks like they have openings for Sept. 23rd at 6:30 and you order six 3-serving meals for $75.00. That sounds like a good way to get a feel for the place without ordering too much (or spending too much). I don't know how many spaces they have for that night, but would that work for a few of you? Maybe if it works, we can just go sign up, first come first served until the slot is full. Once we go, we'll have a better idea if we like it and then we could try to get a group of 10-12 (it seems like that could be tough though). I haven't signed up yet, but I will if even one of you wants to try this on this date.

I went to Dream Dinners (the one in Irvine, off Jamboree) a couple of years ago and it was ok. I think the food probably would have ended up being delicious for someone who's not a hopeless cook like me. I think I messed up the ingredient measuring on some of the dishes.

Come to think of it, I think I probably still have 1 or 2 of the meals in my freezer.

I'm on a business trip on Sept 23rd. :-( I wanted to invite my best friend and her husband since, with a newborn, they could use a store of meals like that.

Ok, so biscuit is in for the 23rd. There are also two dates available at 6:30 for Sept. 16 and 17. Cayci and biscuit, can you check those two dates and get back ASAP? If those don't work than maybe just biscuit and I will sign up and report back so we can schedule a larger gathering of IHB'ers. Anyone else who is available any of those three dates for the sampler menu ($75.00, six 3 serving meals), please let us know. I don't know how many spaces they have for those dates, so I'd like to decide soon. Sorry if it seems like I'm taking this over SoCal, I really don't mean to but I just thought that if a few of us could get there soon, we'd have more info for everyone. Are you available any of these days, SoCal?

[quote author="caycifish" date=1251611404]I'm good the 16th, but not the 17th.</blockquote>

Ok, how about the 16th biscuit?

[quote author="tmare" date=1251611636][quote author="caycifish" date=1251611404]I'm good the 16th, but not the 17th.</blockquote>

Ok, how about the 16th biscuit?</blockquote>

-bixpretty much almost any date. But the 16th sounds good

Back