Author Topic: Shutters  (Read 168262 times)

Offline z4fanatic

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
  • -Received: 4
Shutters
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »
I had a family referral come over this past weekend to provide a quote on shutters.  Coincidentally some random guy was walking around the neighborhood trying to promote his shutter company.  He asked if I had time for a quote, and I happily obliged since it's always good to have multiple bids.  The salesman seemed very confident on his pricing and said his prices can not be beat because they're a shutter manufacturer based on Norco, CA yadda yadda yadda. 

Long story short, the family referral quoted me 4300 for 23 shutters on 275.5 sq ft.  Or about 15.61 per sq ft

The random salesman quoted me 3400 for the same job.  Or about 12.34 per sq ft.

I remember in previous threads that USC's guy Tim was doing faux wood blinds at about 14 per sq ft, both of the quotes I received were real wood, so I'm assuming it'll be a little more expensive than faux.  The random guy's company was called E&J shutters, he said they've been in business for 15 years and are licensed/bonded. 

What worries me is that when I do a quick google search on E&J, there is not a single review on any of the work they've done, which is troubling for a company that's been around 15 years.

Both of these installers want 50% payment upfront, maybe I should just swipe a credit card so if anything goes sour I can always initiate a chargeback. 

What are your thoughts?  Do those prices seem in-line with the current marketplace?  Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline akim997

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 22
  • -Received: 125
Re: Shutters
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
seems like a decent price.   I'm getting much higher quotes.   13 windows (forget sq footage) but got a quote for 5,000 and one for 4,300.   I don't want a bar and was told consistently that it was more expensive to do it that way (so I'm told).

Offline gaogi

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 49
  • -Received: 102
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
I got hidden tilt for +1.00/sq ft and top/bottom split opening for +1.00/sq ft.  Total came out to 15.00/sq ft for me, and I also paid 50% up front.  I did mine through Tim, but it was before he started to flake on everyone.

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 393
  • -Received: 368
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »
pay cash usually you get a some discount like 5% (you save money, they save tax). with cash you need to use a reputable company though
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2774
  • -Received: 1846
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
with cash you need to use a reputable company though

kind of an oxymoron dont you think  :)

Online USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2849
  • -Received: 2230
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
As someone mentioned in the other shutter thread, you can contact Express Blinds (company that Tim used to work for) and get a quote from them...1-800-924-1097...ask for Young.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA DRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!
Have license, will travel!

Offline trip

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 8
  • -Received: 8
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
We went with Jose Napoles, the owner of Valentino shutter in Santa Ana.  The first time we used him in our old house, he didn't ask for any down payment on a 4K plus job.  We recently purchased another home and called Valentino again.  They are a bigger business now, so they asked for a 10% deposit.  We are happy with the quality of their work, but like most other contractors, once they are paid in full, they are always too busy to come back to fix the minor stuff.

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 85
  • -Received: 520
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
I got 11 plantation shutters with frames for $2,500 installed.  The shutters are made in China, so it took 3 months from time of order to installation. 

Offline z4fanatic

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 06:39:35 AM »
i went with the same route zubs...  mine is taking about 5 weeks...  i also ordered combi shades...  hopefully it'll look nice... 

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2774
  • -Received: 1846
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
At first we were going to do all shutters then we went to the showroom and now we are doing shutters, vignettes and silhouettes. My wife thinks it will look good, she pointed out that model homes typically use a variety of treatments

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Received: 4075
  • 3CWG
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »
Mixing up window coverings is always good... if we were getting into a new home (lucky you qwerty) I would probably do shutters on some spaces on the 1st floor, drapes/shades on others and drapes and blinds on the 2nd floor rooms.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline z4fanatic

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 06:10:17 AM »
@qwerty - we decided on the same...  all shutters would be overwhelming.  we're going with a mix of shutters, combi shades, and curtains...  speaking of curtains anyone know where they sell ones? 

Offline icey

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 302
  • -Received: 70
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »
@qwerty - we decided on the same...  all shutters would be overwhelming.  we're going with a mix of shutters, combi shades, and curtains...  speaking of curtains anyone know where they sell ones? 

Plenty of them in Home Depot in Lowes, also try the JCPenney Home Store in Westminster.

The problem I run into with curatins is that most of them are 84". So if you have higher ceilings you might need the 95 inch ones.

If anyone knows of a good store that carries the 95 inch ones locally let me know.

Amazon also has a ton of them.

Offline irvine123searching

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 11
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »
http://www.restorationhardware.com/ has some longer curtains. But I am not sure if they are good or not.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Received: 4075
  • 3CWG
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
I remember Bed, Bath, Beyond used to carry longer curtains.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal