Author Topic: Distance learning?  (Read 902 times)

Offline Kangen.Irvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 86
  • -Received: 29
    • Change Your Water, Change Your Life!
Re: Distance learning?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
Definitely agree with teachers who are planning distance learning while also implementing lessons for their own family.

These teachers haven’t received any training in this area; definitely something to be considered by schools in the future, but always, budgets are tight. Not the time to discuss pensions.

Just like most people who applied for a job, these teachers never applied to be online educators, but classroom teachers. They should be commended for whatever they are trying to do.

Would you assume a chef come to your house via Zoom to give you cooking lessons each night because you were not allowed in the restaurant.

Offline qwerty

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2494
  • -Received: 1593
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »
I’m not holding anything against the teachers. I would have thought the district would have a standardized approach. That doesn’t even seem to exist. If anyone should be held accountable it’s the administrators.

Personally I don’t give a shit if my daughter learns anything over the next month or two. As long as we don’t get sick with this thing I’ll be happy. With that said we do sit down with her to do math and read but that takes a back seat to work sometime. So we just do want we can

Offline bones

• Thanks
  • -Given: 197
  • -Received: 1105
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 09:22:09 PM »
Definitely agree with teachers who are planning distance learning while also implementing lessons for their own family.

These teachers haven’t received any training in this area; definitely something to be considered by schools in the future, but always, budgets are tight. Not the time to discuss pensions.

Just like most people who applied for a job, these teachers never applied to be online educators, but classroom teachers. They should be commended for whatever they are trying to do.

Would you assume a chef come to your house via Zoom to give you cooking lessons each night because you were not allowed in the restaurant.

Not sure that analogy works the way you intended it to.

On the flip side, if any district (or select schools) can pull off distance learning successfully, it’s IUSD. They have motivated/highly educated parents with the resources to help their kid(s). Access to computers, tablets, printer, supplies, reliable internet, etc

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 357
  • -Received: 640
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 11:16:52 PM »
I am not worried about school. I am worry about living. This virus is out of control. First responders such as police, fire fighters, EMT, hospital workers are getting sick.
Learning is secondary.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2263
  • -Received: 3645
  • 3CWG
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »
I am not worried about school. I am worry about living. This virus is out of control. First responders such as police, fire fighters, EMT, hospital workers are getting sick.
Learning is secondary.

I understand this... but at the same time, we have to continue with life as best we can and for many of us parents and kids... school is a vital part of life.

I really feel bad for all the kids out there (not just mine). For many of them, depending on what grade they are in, this shelter in will impact them not just educationally but also socially.

Even at the college level, graduating students may have a much more difficult time starting their careers,

For IUSD, this week is currently spring break... supposedly next week, they will start with more online/interactive teaching so we shall see.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
Things come up and we have to adapt.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »
There are plenty of free resources on the web to help.
Sometimes you have to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. For example I am teaching my little one how to play the piano.

It goes to my core philosophy. Do not rely on the system.

Great things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. Abraham Lincoln

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Coronavirus Math by nosuchreality
[Today at 02:21:07 PM]

Re: Costco check? by Happiness
[Today at 01:58:02 PM]

Re: coronavirus by eyephone