Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 356742 times)

Offline Liar Loan

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 509
  • -Received: 333
Re: President Trump
« Reply #2475 on: August 15, 2019, 09:16:53 PM »
Trump's Green New Deal: President reportedly considering buying Greenland

The real estate developer-turned-president has reportedly asked his advisers about a potential purchase on multiple occasions.
This land is your land, this land is ... Greenland?

President Donald Trump has on multiple occasions discussed trying to buy the country of Greenland, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

Trump has with "varying degrees of seriousness" expressed an interest in trying to purchase the icy 811,000-square-mile island in the North Atlantic, according to the Journal, citing unnamed sources familiar with the deliberations.

Greenland is an autonomous Danish territory. Trump reportedly told advisers in one exchange last spring he'd heard that Denmark was having financial problems because of the subsidies it pays to Greenland, and wondered if he should buy it. "What do you guys think about?" Trump asked the room, a source told the Journal. "Do you think it would work?"

It's unclear what the price tag for the country would be, or whether Denmark would consider selling it.

Officials with the Denmark's Royal House and the Danish embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to the Journal's request for comment on the talks.

Trump is scheduled to visit Denmark in September.

The United States has previously tried to buy the strategically located country, which has a population of just over 50,000. President Harry S. Truman offered to purchase it for $100 million in 1946, but Denmark declined the offer, the Journal noted, adding the U.S. had also looked into acquiring the country back in 1867.

Technically a part of North America, Greenland is between the Atlantic and Arctic oceans, and between Canada and Europe. The U.S. has an airbase there, which is part of the country's state-of-the-art ballistic missile early warning system and satellite tracking system.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-s-green-new-deal-president-reportedly-considering-buying-greenland-n1042966

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 54
« Reply #2476 on: August 16, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
This is a move that I would actually support if he could get it done...but it is a little absurd to think it is remotely possible. Not only do you have to get the American people to approve the purchase, you also have to get Denmark and Greenland to approve it.

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 64
  • -Received: 360
« Reply #2477 on: August 16, 2019, 09:51:42 AM »
I wonder why no one ever thinks about just invading it and taking it for ourselves....
Like Russia and Crimea.

We gots the biggest stick..it should belong to us.

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #2478 on: August 16, 2019, 10:12:28 AM »
I wonder why no one ever thinks about just invading it and taking it for ourselves....
Like Russia and Crimea.

We gots the biggest stick..it should belong to us.

This is an interesting take on the Arctic and Greenland fits perfectly into this narrative.

Online irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2122
  • -Received: 3554
  • 3CWG
« Reply #2479 on: August 16, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
So it would be a US territory like Guam and VI?

Don't think it would happen... not just about ours, Greenland's and Denmark's approval, but also the disapproval of other countries.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 64
« Reply #2480 on: August 16, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »
Just drive our boats over to greenland, and start building military bases on it....
Who's gonna stop us? Denmark?..LOL

Get political cover by saying...we're just improving the infrastructure...helping the good people of greenland with their roads n shit.

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 379
  • -Received: 315
« Reply #2481 on: August 16, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
Just drive our boats over to greenland, and start building military bases on it....
Who's gonna stop us? Denmark?..LOL

Get political cover by saying...we're just improving the infrastructure...helping the good people of greenland with their roads n shit.
We already have military bases in Greenland. Those bases are what we used to keep supplies lines to Europe open during WWII and destroying the German U Boat fleet (see Battle of the Atlantic).

So all we need is for Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark, to sign a piece of paper transferring sovereignty.

If we put a tariff on Lego sets, I'm sure Queen Margrethe will be happy to sign.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 339
  • -Received: 588
« Reply #2482 on: August 16, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
This is a move that I would actually support if he could get it done...but it is a little absurd to think it is remotely possible. Not only do you have to get the American people to approve the purchase, you also have to get Denmark and Greenland to approve it.

America gun violence/drug problem/trade deal < purchasing Greenland

Makes perfect sense and forget about the other issues in America. Stack up the debt! Maybe there’s a way to declare Bankruptcy..(I know there’s not, but you never know. We are like drowning in debt.)

We need Greenland like we need Puerto Rico to become an official state. Too much money!!!

Or we do like an exchange. (Hypothetical: we will give you Puerto Rico and you give us Greenland. This is what to say: Puerto Rico is like a tropical paradise with beaches and just don’t mind the occasional storms. (Wink) You just have to fix the infrastructure, create jobs and so and so on. Denmark walks away lol)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:40:05 PM by eyephone »

Online irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2122
  • -Received: 3554
  • 3CWG
« Reply #2483 on: August 16, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »
If we put a tariff on Lego sets, I'm sure Queen Margrethe will be happy to sign.

Wait... that's Viking hate!! Just kidding.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #2484 on: August 16, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »
I already thought there was a 50% tariff on Legos based on the prices I'm paying.....

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 631
« Reply #2485 on: August 16, 2019, 03:06:24 PM »

Denmark's government spends about $170 billion USD annually, of which $600 million USD is provided to Greenland as subsidy.  It's a good chunk of money but fairly small %.  Donno why people think they're struggling to pay for it when they have a small budget surplus.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Dow? by morekaos
[Today at 09:34:43 AM]

Re: Stock picks by morekaos
[Today at 09:13:45 AM]

Re: Stock picks by paydawg
[Today at 09:06:01 AM]