Front License Plates

Raymond

I wonder why California's front license plate law isn't enforced for Tesla's in Irvine? I've only seen one Tesla with a front plate.

I received a citation for not having one on my new car and wasn't able to install it because it didn't have the holes on the bumper for a plate, so I took my vehicle back to the dealership so they could properly prepare the bumper for the plate.

Personally I think it's a waste of a Police Officer's time to cite somebody for not having one, but Irvine is so strict about traffic laws ... the city could generate some decent revenue if the law was enforced. Instead of sitting on the side of the road pointing the speed gun on cars, they could be using that time to pick the low hanging fruit.

The dealership knows the law. They should have either asked if you wanted it drilled at point of sale, or set an appointment to do so. Hope you don't give them any more $$$ when you pick up the vehicle.

I wonder why California's front license plate law isn't enforced for Tesla's in Irvine? I've only seen one Tesla with a front plate.

I received a citation for not having one on my new car and wasn't able to install it because it didn't have the holes on the bumper for a plate, so I took my vehicle back to the dealership so they could properly prepare the bumper for the plate.

Personally I think it's a waste of a Police Officer's time to cite somebody for not having one, but Irvine is so strict about traffic laws ... the city could generate some decent revenue if the law was enforced. Instead of sitting on the side of the road pointing the speed gun on cars, they could be using that time to pick the low hanging fruit.
I was wondering the same. And it's not just Tesla, which is weird because Tesla actually gives you a stick-on front license plate holder. I've seen a lot of cars, like Mercedes, MBW, Audi, etc., in my company's parking lot with no front license plate.

I actually bought a front license plate holder for my Model 3 because I didn't know that Tesla actually gave you one.

And I definitely agree that they would generate more revenue by enforcing this law instead of wasting time point speed gun.

Not sure what the current process is? Get a fix it ticket, but if you don't fix it, (depending on infraction) you just pay the fine? Doubt this will lead to a need for court time, that would be a colossal waste... and may be a reason you see bunch of cars without front license plates

I've seen random speed traps on jeffrey (near the train tracks), irvine blvd (around the great park), sand cyn (north of 5 fwy).

I remember signing a waiver at my dealership for not installing a front plate. They don't want you suing them for the cost of a ticket. Tint places use similar waivers for dark front side windows.

No front plate for 16+ years in Irvine, got a front plate fix it ticket about 9 months ago, maybe they are starting to give them out to hit quotas? Any major intersection in Irvine and ~25-35% of the cars don't have one.

I think my Tesla Y front brace was like a sticky note. No screws.
It hasn't fallen off after 1 year.

I think this is a dumb law and front license plates should not be required.
Regardless whether or not it's a dumb law, what's more dumb is that it's not a consistent law throughout the country. Currently, there are 29 states that require front license plates and 21 states that don't.

It should be federal law, not state law. If it's a federal law, then manufacturers would be require to install the license plate bracket mount on the car.

If our car has a mount, we put it on. But the Tesla did not have one and I didn't feel like using the sticky tape (which is probably the reason why many others do not). Yet... they will put that carpool sticker on faster than LL posting a 1% drop in Irvine home prices.

Where did you get a ticket? I’ve rarely seen speed traps in Irvine except on Jamboree.
In Anaheim. There's a spot on Jeffrey and Sand Canyon, near the train tracks, that I drive along that have driveways that go nowhere ... into the dirt. Probably for future development. The motorcycle cops tuck themselves into it so motorists can't see them until it's too late - they sit on their bikes with the radar gun pointing at you.

If our car has a mount, we put it on. But the Tesla did not have one and I didn't feel like using the sticky tape (which is probably the reason why many others do not). Yet... they will put that carpool sticker on faster than LL posting a 1% drop in Irvine home prices.
What does LL mean?

I don't have a front plate on any of my cars. The front windows are also tinted. In my experience, cops won't pull you over for just a front license plate missing (or tinted front windows). However, if they catch you for speeding, red light, or other moving infraction they very likely will tack on a fix-it ticket too. Or, if your car looks suspicious or matches the description of a car they're looking for - they'll pull you over for any reason they can find.

Back