DIY Floorplans

irvinehomeowner

I wanted to do this on the IHB but never had the time.

So what I did is take an existing plan and modified it to something I might want to buy.

My first victim is the 2.5 garage house. Since currently, there isn't enough space in the current 2010 Collection for 3-car wide garages, I figured maybe a 2.5 would work:

2ikci12.jpg

There are probably some other places that need to be changed around but what I did was keep the existing structure and added newer features like the open Great Room and a modified Master.

Bonus Question: Which was the original plan?

Up next, Sonoma Plan 2 Redux.

EDIT: I should add that this is less than 2200 sft yet has 5 bedrooms and 3 baths.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]

[/quote]

Harvard Square - Revere Plan E

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I wanted to do this on the IHB but never had the time.

So what I did is take an existing plan and modified it to something I might want to buy.

My first victim is the 2.5 garage house. Since currently, there isn't enough space in the current 2010 Collection for 3-car wide garages, I figured maybe a 2.5 would work:

2ikci12.jpg

There are probably some other places that need to be changed around but what I did was keep the existing structure and added newer features like the open Great Room and a modified Master.

Up next, Sonoma Plan 2 Redux.

EDIT: I should add that this is less than 2200 sft yet has 5 bedrooms and 3 baths.[/quote]

I have to say nice job. This is NICE!!! Is this a detach condo? What do you think about high ceiling? Or sometimes, they call it "Open to Below". I really like feature though it may deem space waster. That's one of the things that I like the Montecito Plan 2 over the Plan 1. Plan 1 has it but not as obvious as plan 2.

The 2nd walk-in closet in the master was the high foyer ceiling.

This is the original floorplan:
http://floorplans.irvinerealtorsite.com/Walnut/Revere/RevereE2179.JPG

I like raised spaces but I can see where too much cuts into privacy. That's not a concern for me as I'm always calling to my family to "Come downstairs... we're gonna be late!!!".

I think the Great Room/Dining area could be made more useful if I had more time but I was trying to work within the framework of the existing floorplan. Although there is still the Feng Shui no-no of front door to garage directly to back door (I can move stuff to fix that), I moved the kitchen for not only more space but to address BK's no toilet over the kitchen edict.

This actually a detached house and aesthetically it's not going to be very pleasing as you can see the frontage is mostly garage... I'll see what I can fit into a Sonoma Plan 2 footprint.

[quote author="fe9000"]

I have to say nice job. This is NICE!!! Is this a detach condo? What do you think about high ceiling? Or sometimes, they call it "Open to Below". I really like feature though it may deem space waster. That's one of the things that I like the Montecito Plan 2 over the Plan 1. Plan 1 has it but not as obvious as plan 2.[/quote]

Ya, I agree. I liked the high entryway at the Plan 2. Plan 1 has it above the little walkway between the foyer and the powder, but like you said, it's not as obvious.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]The 2nd walk-in closet in the master was the high foyer ceiling.

This is the original floorplan:
http://floorplans.irvinerealtorsite.com/Walnut/Revere/RevereE2179.JPG

I like raised spaces but I can see where too much cuts into privacy. That's not a concern for me as I'm always calling to my family to "Come downstairs... we're gonna be late!!!".

I think the Great Room/Dining area could be made more useful if I had more time but I was trying to work within the framework of the existing floorplan. Although there is still the Feng Shui no-no of front door to garage directly to back door (I can move stuff to fix that), I moved the kitchen for not only more space but to address BK's no toilet over the kitchen edict.

This actually a detached house and aesthetically it's not going to be very pleasing as you can see the frontage is mostly garage... I'll see what I can fit into a Sonoma Plan 2 footprint.[/quote]

Great thread. Always wanted to design my own home. Here are the things I liked/disliked on your floorplan:

+Large kitchen island
+1 BD and bath downstairs
+Love the 2.5 garage
+Like 2nd MB closet option, but may prefer to have a tech area option accessible from the hallway instead

Dislikes:
-I am no longer a fan of side entrances--BK has forever tainted me. I need to at least see the entrance of a home from the street (would also like double entry door)
-Prefer rear location for garage (BK style)
-Another Feng Shui no no, MB is located directly above stove. This is a recipe for marital troubles.
-I think the other Feng Sui no no has more to do with lining up a front door and a back door--your home will lose money since it enters one way and goes straight out the back (not sure if this applies to your garage entrance and backdoor).

I'm having fits trying to change around a Sonoma Plan 2 without shifting the garage. I think I'm gonna have to gut it and see what I can fit into the footprint.

I can see why they did the plans the way they did but I think if you move the stairs it gives you more flexibility. Having the garage setback into the house so much really cuts into what you can do for the downstairs living space. I appreciate they are trying to give you a driveway but narrow width of the floor plan gives you very little room to work with the space near the front of the house.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I'm having fits trying to change around a Sonoma Plan 2 without shifting the garage. I think I'm gonna have to gut it and see what I can fit into the footprint.

I can see why they did the plans the way they did but I think if you move the stairs it gives you more flexibility. Having the garage setback into the house so much really cuts into what you can do for the downstairs living space. I appreciate they are trying to give you a driveway but narrow width of the floor plan gives you very little room to work with the space near the front of the house.[/quote]

TIC needs to create lots with much greater width. Then you could turn your floor plan 90 degrees, so the front door faces the street and your garage is off to the side. It would be a much more aesthetically pleasing design. Then again, a lot that size will make the home unaffordable for new construction in Irvine.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I'm having fits trying to change around a Sonoma Plan 2 without shifting the garage. I think I'm gonna have to gut it and see what I can fit into the footprint.

I can see why they did the plans the way they did but I think if you move the stairs it gives you more flexibility. Having the garage setback into the house so much really cuts into what you can do for the downstairs living space. I appreciate they are trying to give you a driveway but narrow width of the floor plan gives you very little room to work with the space near the front of the house.[/quote]

Also, I noticed that what they did was smart. By setting back the garage and having some of the house come out farther than the garage, TIC can give you a full driveway, but not have to give you more land for a front yard.

Okay, finally did my Sonoma 2. I think I went a bit overboard here but once I started moving stuff around, I couldn't stop:
2w74ab9.jpg

On the first floor:

1. Moved the kitchen to the other side
2. Created a deeper garage space
3. Replaced the Cali Room with the 4th/5th bed and bathroom
4. Added a butlers pantry / home area where the pantry is
5. Created a flex space where the old 4th bedroom was (this can either be another dining area or a living room)
6. Moved the stairs to the front to create space for a powder and to add more rooms upstairs, this created a smaller porch and foyer but I think the added space offsets that
7. Moved the fireplace to the corner to give you more furniture flexibility and a choice of 2 media walls.

On the second floor:

1. Moving the stairs allowed me to put in another small bedroom, this can also become a master's retreat instead
2. I opened up the hall area and you can actually put tech center/desk/linen cabinets in that long area next to the bedroom with the balcony.
3. I rearranged the master to put the sinks together, a wall around the shower and a bigger master closet (replacing the storage in the laundry room)

One thing I thought about doing is in the master closet creating a pass through door directly to the laundry room, but that would take away the utility of the extra hanging space I created in the first place.

In retrospect, I could probably adjust this more to fit within the framework of the original Plan 2 but after I moved the stairs I just kept going. I'll probably have redux later but this gave me an idea on how to modify the Sonoma Plan 1 to have a downstairs bedroom.

Oh... and my restructure is probably not architecturally sound but that's a BK thing.

Here is the original:
oivywm.jpg

EDIT: Forgot the one with the door to the backyard and added the original Plan 2.

Fun thread.  I only wish I could afford to custom design my home.  I think the master bedrooms these days are way too huge.  Shrink the master down and use some of that space for a loft/kids play room or something.

I've actually seen someone convert one wall of the master bedroom into a walk in closet and then make the actual walk in closet into an office which I thought was a pretty good idea.

So here is my Sonoma 1 mod. It was easier as I did most of the changes on the 1st floor without reconfiguring it very much and the Sonoma 2 mod gave me some ideas.
23i6tk1.jpg

On the first floor:

1. Like Sonoma 2, I switched the kitchen with the great room. Doing that allows me to add the 4th bedroom instead of the Cali Room and I can also arrange both a nook and dining/great room combination. It's less counter space but that can be fixed by removing the nook option.
2. For the walk-in pantry, I used the space under the stairs
3. Added the 4th bedroom and additional bath (for some reason, I prefer 2 bathrooms downstairs)

On the second floor, I didn't do many changes because I actually like their arrangement:

1. Added  bigger seat and enclosed the master shower.
2. I kept the "vampire tub" (props to BK) arrangement but I can change that to what I did in Plan 2.
3. Added a "his" master closet in lieu of the storage area off the laundry. My missus hates mixing our clothes together.

Here is the original Plan 1:
f0704i.jpg

I would buy my mod Plan 1 if it was priced around $750k.

Wow!  I would totally buy your plan 1 if priced around $750K.  Personally, with over 2300 sqft, I think they could have fit a downstairs bedroom, so I like your plan -- I really could care less about the California room, and if it was either that or the bedroom,  I would totally take the bedroom. 

Stuff It said:
IHO - not a big fan of the California room?
Actually... I like the Cali Room... but trying to work within the framework of their slab footprint only gives me that space to work with. I can probably shrink down the dimensions to fit more rooms/areas in but that is more work than I'm willing to waste my time with.

Using the existing pieces and just copying/cutting/pasting is lazy-style... which I'm all for.

The area above the kitchen can be Cali-fied but then you have negative backyard (instead of the current zero backyard).

Working with these floorplans has me wondering if the Sonoma homes are actually on narrower lots than what BK deemed as standard. BagOChips is not in effect here... it is more like Pringles... don't just stack 'em... I want to fit more cans on the shelf.

I was at Montecito yesterday and it turns out that I really like the downstairs of Plan 1 but the upstairs of Plan 2 better. I noticed on the Plan 1 that there is nothing above the garage/den/laundry space so if I stacked on top of there... this is what I would get:

343loiw.jpg

Montecito Plan 1 - IHO Edition

You can make the exterior less boxy by reducing the space from the front of the garage allowing some roof carryover, which would reduce the loft size and probably eliminate the master retreat area.
- I got the loft idea from some of the detached condos in Quail Hill and Primrose/Casero
- Adding the bigger master closet, allowed me to enlarge the master bedroom
- Moving the laundry upstairs created the downstairs .75 bathroom
- The master tub is kind of in a strange position but that can be modified by moving it in more (although the wife likes the seclusion of it)
- The gym thing was inspired by Los Colinas Plan 4

Here is the original for comparison:
dn0uo0.jpg

Nice plan, I too, like the downstairs of 1 but the upstairs of 2.  I'm not a fan of the retreat in the master bedroom, I'd rather they convert the study or formal dining on the first floor into an exercise/den/bedroom.  I'm not sure if its already an option but close the hole in the wall to the left of the foyer like they allow for Coronado 3 and put some glass french doors or something so it doesn't look as small as it is. 

Nice plan. I really like the addition of the retreat and the loft space in the new plan.  This plan could be the basis for Montecito III?

gaab said:
This plan could be the basis for Montecito III?
It would probably cost $100k more.

I would probably lose the retreat and make the loft smaller to make the external roofline/exterior look less boxy but I always think that if you have space above a garage, you should use it. You could even turn the pergola into a small CaliRoom to enlarge the master more.

I just found in interesting I can fit so many other spaces into the upstairs with minimal changes. I could have probably fit in a 5th BR instead of creating a larger closet and retreat.

It just makes me wonder if designers are really in touch with what people want. I'm sure there are people who like 3br 2500sft homes (Sonoma 1) but I would think there would be more who like 4br ones, so why not make a floorplan flexible enough to accommodate both to help you sell to both parties?

Back