Vizio 80" TV Costco 10/3-10/27

I saw a 50" plasma at Costco for like $800 after MFR... pretty good.. gonna pick that up on the way home tonight.

Personally, I wouldn't buying anything over 70" in 1080p.

At those sizes, you should be thinking about 4k, better resolution, better picture.

I think my next one will either be a 65 or 70 and then when 4k prices come down, I'll look at an 80".

I second Sharp.

I don't think many people feel Sharp is a good brand because Sony and Samsung have that "premium" feel about them... but it is one of the 3 "S" brands and they often source from each other for the panels. The other brand I would put with the 3 S'es (Si?) is LG.

Then Vizio... and then the rest (TCL, RCA, Westingouse etc).

@Tyler: Was your Aquos a Quattron model? I'd like to know if the yellow helps with the picture.

LG is the manufacturer of Vizio's LCD screens.

irvinehomeowner said:
I second Sharp.

I don't think many people feel Sharp is a good brand because Sony and Samsung have that "premium" feel about them... but it is one of the 3 "S" brands and they often source from each other for the panels. The other brand I would put with the 3 S'es (Si?) is LG.

Then Vizio... and then the rest (TCL, RCA, Westingouse etc).

@Tyler: Was your Aquos a Quattron model? I'd like to know if the yellow helps with the picture.

Vizio is a solid mid level brand.  Good qpr (quality/price ratio).  It'll get you 90% of the way there to the very best picture.  That extra 10% will cost you dearly, but for some ppl (myself included), it's worth it.

Fwiw, I would get that TV professionally calibrated.  By that I mean a real pro like the guys that do it for a living and are certified, not geek squad from BB.  It'll make a world of difference and well worth the $500-700.  A calibration disc and using your eyes is ok and better than nothing, but you won't be able to change grey scale and other internal hidden settings.

I guess it's time for a new TV for me.  My nephew "accidentally" threw something at my Samsung...  :mad:

Need a 50" - 55" Flat Screen for my living room, any recommendations?  Not trying to break the bank here!

irvinehomeowner said:
You can get 60" for less than $1k now.

Yeah, this is the same nephew that messed up my lineup!  Love the little guy!

Really? 60" TV for less than $1k?  Could you recommend me some IHO?

Check the latest Fry's ads (tomorrow a new one comes out).

It may not show the brand but it will usually be an LG.

At Costco and Best Buy, they have Sammys for less than $1k I think... here's a BB link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-34-class-60-34-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv/1611459.p?id=1219057055264&skuId=1611459

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
I guess it's time for a new TV for me.  My nephew "accidentally" threw something at my Samsung...  :mad:

SoCal's Parenting Tip of the Day: Hang Plexiglass over your TV screen!

When we bought our tv, first thing we did is make a trip to Home Depot, had them cut the plexiglass to size, took it home and drilled a hole it each top corner, hung it with fishing line (it's very strong, very thin and clear), secured it around some screws in the back of the tv for wall-mounting. Voila! Protected and looked fine. Didn't even notice while while watching TV. We were wisely warned by a friend whose son threw a stainless steel utensil at his TV - his was not protected but his replacement TV is now. Do this before Baby throws a Wii remote at your next TV, Homer!

Back