Hot Garage

lovinLife

Wondering if anyone has any experience adding ventillation to a garage.  Ours gets really hot and there's no opening for any airflow unless the garage door is open or the door to the house.  I'm thinking a small simle rectangular hole with vent cover would work wonders but I'm no expert.

Any help appreciated.

I thought most garages had at least one or two ventilation holes.

Ours has one up near the water heater... but it still gets hot.

How much effort would it be to install a fan that draws hot air out and cool air in? Also doing it discreetly so you don't have to get HOA approval nor would they be able to see anything from the outside. I've always wanted to put one in the attic of the home as the 2nd floor gets really hot in the summer time.

That will defeat the purpose of weather strip they put on around garage door opening and door.
Having said that, ours get very hot, and having insulation doesn't help (I opted for additional insulation which covers garage).
What I do though is that I crack open garage door about an inch or two, obviously only when I'm at home.

We installed a retractable screen door in our garage for the door going from the garage to the backyard, I just leave that door open and the garage is a lot cooler.

Retractable screen doors are approved by our HoA.

I got it installed with our shutters since the shutter company we used also do retractable screen doors.

But I think you can get it cheaper from Lowe's and Home Depot.

Could you use something like what is used for clothes dryer vent?  That has a screen to prevent vermin from entering the house

Tyler Durden said:
Just as a heads up: a mouse can get into a space via a crack 1" or more.  A rat can enter a space with a 1.5" crack.

You're going to have a lot of rats and mice Tyler.  A mouse can get in through a crack as small as 1/4 inch.  The recommendation is to use 1/4 inch mesh to keep them out.  A rat, needs a crack only 1/2 inch.  Rat proofing requires either 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch mess or 1/2 inch by 1 inch mesh.  A rat can get through a hole the size of a quarter (just under an inch).

I noticed in the current new homes garages with windows have the type that cannot be opened.  Is venting a code violation?

Hi all,

I was talking with a friend and he mentioned that garages should have air vents to allow fresh air to circulate (his garage has air vents). He thought it was standard building code procedure. I wasn't able to verify his statement but what I did realize is that our garage has zero vents. We live in a Mulberry model I home and I was curious if others have the same issue? Did some home buyers in Mulberry get vents in their garage? Is this something I can bring up to Irvine Pacific you think? If the home builder will not address, I might be interested in hiring someone to install a vent with fan to help cool down the garage. This summer feels like the hottest since I have lived here.

No vent in my garage either and I don't recall all the model home that I've visited have these vents either.

I have these garage vents in my previous home, about 5 total,  but they does not help the hot garage issue.  These vents are simply just too small to make any difference.  By opening the garage door slightly and open the side door are actually more effective. 

I think you guys have to look harder... I do believe it's code that a garage has some type of vent.

The older ones had the vents down low, the newer ones they are usually near the ceiling.

Sounds like a vent alone does not help the issue. You need a fan to help circulate the air. Opening the garage door and back door helps air flow but I would be worried about rodents getting in.

It's my understanding builders don't use insulation in the garage. They should offer that as an option. I guess there is still the issue of the garage door but I believe they sell insulated ones

Burn That Belly said:
It is easy as cake to rip open and tear out the 3 sides of garage drywall and put in your own insulation, then nail back a set of new drywall.

Have you guys seen how cheap drywall is at home depot?

Rent one of this $19.99 home depot truck.

Add a radiant barrier to the ceiling as well while you are at it (unless you have a room over the garage). Even if you don't do it yourself, it's not that expensive to have someone do drywall + paint in the garage.

Back