Stonegate Elementary Waiting List?

lucky760

It's clear that Stonegate is overpopulated with children, as far as how many can fit into the elementary school.

My oldest won't be in public school for another couple of years, but I've been hearing from others that we should already be working on getting him onto the wait list because we may not be able to get enrolled otherwise, despite that we live down the street.

As it seems the school is still closed for the summer, do you have any thoughts on how we should go about finding info on the wait list and how to get on it? The Stonegate Elementary website doesn't seem to mention anything about such a list.

I believe that if you live within Stonegate, you should not have a problem getting your kid in. It's those who are on a district transfer that are on limbo. I notice that there are a handful of Woodbury residence sending there kids to Stonegate Elementary. Pretty soon, they might not have that option.

Maybe the CDC if you plan to send them there after school, someone else posted here that there is a 100+ wait list.

I wonder if Stonegate will kick out the kids that aren't zoned there and force them to go to Canyon View or Santiago Hills so that the zoned Stonegate kids can go to their own school.

They are addressing the overcrowding with portable classrooms and fast-tracking more elems to be built.

At first SG was a desert... then they allowed WB (and other hoods) to transfer and it became 85?.

That's what happens when you build dense neighborhoods. :)

I don't know if there is waiting list for public schools. Enrollment usually opens up during March for the the upcoming school year.
As long you do register and submit all the documentation at that time you will be fine.

You should not have a problem if you live in stonegate community.

The school put together a document to address concerns about the enrollment growth http://www.iusd.org/sg/documents/StonegatePrincipalCoffee.pdf

JasonTheArtist said:
I believe that if you live within Stonegate, you should not have a problem getting your kid in. It's those who are on a district transfer that are on limbo. I notice that there are a handful of Woodbury residence sending there kids to Stonegate Elementary. Pretty soon, they might not have that option.

You are correct. Kids who live within the school zone have 1st priority. If there is left over space then they take out of area students with priority going to those with siblings within the school.

I know several WB parents who don't like their elementary school and transferred out. There is a potential but low risk as a transfer student you may lose your spot the following year. Most principals try to accommodate students who already are in the school even if they are out of the area. If you are interested in transferring your child make sure you fill out all the paperwork early ?Jan-Feb time frame and diligently followup with the schools.

It's funny to me how parents think going to a different elementary school with a higher API will make a difference.  I understand if it's because year around doesn't work for your schedule or if the kids have friends already at another school, but if it's just because a neighboring school has better numbers...those parents are delusional.  It's elementary school, not college.

OCgasman said:
It's funny to me how parents think going to a different elementary school with a higher API will make a difference.  I understand if it's because year around doesn't work for your schedule or if the kids have friends already at another school, but if it's just because a neighboring school has better numbers...those parents are delusional.  It's elementary school, not college.

Clearly you have not entered the world of pre-schools where waitlist was the norm.  It's like little league around here compared to NYC:
http://commons.trincoll.edu/edreform/2013/05/getting-into-preschool-isnt-such-a-stroll/
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/01/149804404/n-y-preschool-starts-dna-testing-for-admission

Tyler Durden said:
OCgasman said:

Is that what this is all about?  Ridiculous.

I was thinking that there were too many kids for a given school, not that they all wanted to leave one school for another.
It's too many kids now, Stonegate can't accommodate their own zoned kids.  But, I think there are a fair number of Woodbury kids at Stonegate due to Stonegate's higher API, therefore it must be a "better" elementary school.  Same mentality of (usually Asian) parents that want their kids to only go to Uni or Northwood High.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, the actual school doesn't matter much, it's the innate intelligence and motivation of the kid that dictates academic success.

Stonegate Elementary doesn't have enough capacity for all the students in Stonegate.  They will start transferring students out.  Those paying top dollar to live in Stonegate, especially the more expensive homes like Arcadia and Sausalito, thinking their kids will go to Stonegate Elementary will be in for a big surprise.

rmmo1d.jpg

2zi98qa.jpg

2q3nash.jpg

10mv3g4.jpg

25k351f.jpg

OCgasman said:
Tyler Durden said:
OCgasman said:

Is that what this is all about?  Ridiculous.

I was thinking that there were too many kids for a given school, not that they all wanted to leave one school for another.
It's too many kids now, Stonegate can't accommodate their own zoned kids.  But, I think there are a fair number of Woodbury kids at Stonegate due to Stonegate's higher API, therefore it must be a "better" elementary school.  Same mentality of (usually Asian) parents that want their kids to only go to Uni or Northwood High.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, the actual school doesn't matter much, it's the innate intelligence and motivation of the kid that dictates academic success.

I disagree, schools do matter. Why bother paying so much $$$$ for an Irvine beige box if people don't care about schools?

The fact whether a child's success depends on innate or exogenous factors is irrelevant. I agree that intelligence and personal motivation play a role but are not the only factors. Parents tend to maximize what is best for their children and minimize risk. Why take a risk of sending your child to a lackluster school even if you are confident in their personal abilities?

Perception is reality. Parents across the country are speaking loudly with their money and willing to pay more for homes zoned to "good" schools.

lucky said:
It's clear that Stonegate is overpopulated with children, as far as how many can fit into the elementary school.

My oldest won't be in public school for another couple of years, but I've been hearing from others that we should already be working on getting him onto the wait list because we may not be able to get enrolled otherwise, despite that we live down the street.

As it seems the school is still closed for the summer, do you have any thoughts on how we should go about finding info on the wait list and how to get on it? The Stonegate Elementary website doesn't seem to mention anything about such a list.

There's no waiting list you need to sign up for years in advance for public kindergarten. That's crazy. Like someone else said, you register the March before your child starts kindergarten, and you will most likely get in, since you are zoned for Stonegate.

IUSD does have a disclaimer in the kindergarten info that some schools are impacted and there is a very small chance that a child living in the zone would have to be moved somewhere else, but I think if you register right when registration opens, you should be fine.

iacrenter said:
OCgasman said:

I disagree, schools do matter. Why bother paying so much $$$$ for an Irvine beige box if people don't care about schools?

The fact whether a child's success depends on innate or exogenous factors is irrelevant. I agree that intelligence and personal motivation play a role but are not the only factors. Parents tend to maximize what is best for their children and minimize risk. Why take a risk of sending your child to a lackluster school even if you are confident in their personal abilities?

Perception is reality. Parents across the country are speaking loudly with their money and willing to pay more for homes zoned to "good" schools.
I didn't say it didn't matter at all.  I said the actual school matters little in comparison to actual intelligence level and work ethic.  I live in Irvine too and the IUSD is a big reason why I like this area.  But an exceptionally intelligent hard working student will exceed anywhere.  A lazy and/or average IQ kid will probably never do as well academically as the motivated smart kid...common sense and reality.  But that doesn't mean the average IQ kid won't do well in life.  There are tons of success stories of average kids growing up to be successful adults.  The average kids are sometimes more successful than the smartest kids cuz they know how to network, innovate, motivate, invent, think outside the box...etc.

But to me, all Irvine schools are very good.  Saying one is better than another cuz of 50 API points is kinda neurotic to me.  Now comparing a Deep South poverty stricken metro detector on the door school with an Irvine school, well that's a different story, and a lifestyle that's foreign with almost everyone that lives in Irvine.

The actual school is important to surround your child with like minded students and a culture where academic success is not only emphasized but expected.  But, everything's a bell curve and most people (kids included) fall under the 90% bunched under it.  There will be a handful of exceptional students and a handful of failures, but most will be somewhere in the middle.

OCgasman said:
iacrenter said:
OCgasman said:

I didn't say it didn't matter at all.  I said the actual school matters little in IRVINE in comparison to actual intelligence level and work ethic.  I live in Irvine too and the IUSD is a big reason why I like this area.  But an exceptionally intelligent hard working student will exceed anywhere.  A lazy and/or average IQ kid will probably never do as well academically as the motivated smart kid...common sense and reality.

I clarified your statement above since your first statement about "the actual school doesn't matter" only seems to apply if you are in a top tier school district. Otherwise you might very well be hunting for among other things, the highest API school within the district.

Forget the 10% extreme examples and focus instead on the 90%--average motivation and average intelligence. For the majority, having a good school environment with a strong peer group and parental involvement can make a big difference.

But that doesn't mean the average IQ kid won't do well in life.  There are tons of success stories of average kids growing up to be successful adults.  The average kids are sometimes more successful than the smartest kids cuz they know how to network, innovate, motivate, invent, think outside the box...etc.

But to me, all Irvine schools are very good.  Saying one is better than another cuz of 50 API points is kinda neurotic to me.  Now comparing a Deep South poverty stricken metro detector on the door school with an Irvine school, well that's a different story, and a lifestyle that's foreign with almost everyone that lives in Irvine.

I agree, it is neurotic to shop for the highest API school within IUSD but that is very much the Irvine way. At the same time I don't see anything wrong with parents wanting what they perceive as a better academic environment for their child.

iac, I think we're in agreement but using different nomenclature to say basically the same thing.  Parental involvement, really parental expectations, is key to academic success.  Having your child surrounded by attentive parents as well as a culture that fosters academic achievement is where IUSD excels.  But, that's also a little disparaging to the neighboring school districts as well as to individual schools within IUSD.  All I really wanted to say is that within this immediate area, all the schools are very good, people needn't be consumed by obsessing over the highest API score or what the OC Register ranks as the best schools.  Not every kid will grow up to be a physician, CEO, attorney or captain of industry...and that's ok.  It's not because they didn't attend Uni High, or in this case go to Stonegate vs Woodbury.

We need to assign kids to the schools in the ghettos of Irvine. The schools there need some students before Lyon snatches them up to build Twigs, Trunks, Leaves and Foliage.

Back