Sausalito at Stonegate

ps99472

Came across these today while browsing Shea's website.  They didn't specify where in Irvine these big homes will be.  Untill I google-fu'd this article..
http://www.fuscoe.com/press_releases/130522-3.html
(Congrats Shelby)

So it looks like these will be the largest homes in Stonegate? 
http://www.sheahomes.com/community/sausalito/

Website states early Fall, so the models should be up and running soon if not near completion?  Not sure which location in Stonegate these will be.  Floorplans below...

irvinehomeowner said:
In 3500sft+, they still can't give you a separate dining or living area?

So inefficient.

Is it possible inside those little dotted lines could be a pony wall?

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

So inefficient.

The dotted lines are more likely arches.

Just look at how narrow these homes are... mostly I and T formation... open concept may be nice but lacks privacy. Whatever happened to the spacious O formation where you can play a good game of hide-and-seek in your house?

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

So inefficient.

The dotted lines are more likely arches.

Just look at how narrow these homes are... mostly I and T formation... open concept may be nice but lacks privacy. Whatever happened to the spacious O formation where you can play a good game of hide-and-seek in your house?

The "O" formation floorplans became extinct in Irvine after '99....No body got time to walk around in a circle these days.. you get home.. go straight to the kitchen.. cook/unpack takeout...eat at the island/nook... watch TV in the Great room.. go to bed... I bet in a few years, even semi-formal dining rooms will be gone... the kitchen island will just get bigger and bigger with a TV/Entertainment Center attached at the end... It will be called the Hella Great Kitchen Room :)

So impractical, your guests come over and the first floor is one huge room, nothing to hide, kid junk all over the place.

Not sure what O formation you've seen but the ones I like, your garage directly goes to the kitchen, you still have an island, can still see the TV from the kitchen and can go directly upstairs. Meanwhile, the dining room and living room are off to the side in perfect pristine condition (you can see the vacuum lines in the carpet) so when you get that unexpected guest (or notary for that umpteenth refi), they don't get all up in your family space.

No Quarter said:
Seriously though, how many times a year do folks actually use a formal living room or dining room? 
Often.

The formal dining is usually used for homework or if there is mail/paperwork to be sorted through. You don't want that stuff on you kitchen nook table mixed up with food.

Living room, not as much, sometimes when someone want to do some reading and doesn't want to hear the noise of the TV. Or when guests come over and want to have a conversation without talking over whatever is going on in the family room.

It's most useful when you are entertaining. Additional eating area (one table might have food on it) and additional hangout area.

Not sure why people want less space... where is CZ to back me up on this?

Wonder if they're going to pull a La Cresta (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3083.0.html) and put these next to Doria (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1875.0)

test said:
Wonder if they're going to pull a La Cresta (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3083.0.html) and put these next to Doria (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1875.0)

You forgot to mention the landfill....you're slipping...:)

these must be the homes planned near maricopa and saratoga? I remember the master plan a while back having homes on real cul-de-sacs here. 

No Quarter said:
You can do homework anywhere... no need to have a dedicated room for that.  If that was the case, no one would work in a cafe like Starbucks and everyone would be at the library where its perfectly quiet.
So you send your 7 year old to Starbucks?
More space is not the answer, better used space is. 
Exactly. In my opinion, better used space is multiple living/dining areas on the first floor, not bigger single use spaces.

Notice... I'm not asking for more space, just more division/functionality. Why make the downstairs bedroom separate, just make it part of the Great Room so Gramps/Grams can be part of the family more?

I understand you're biased because your new home may not have a formal dining and formal living and I understand the convenience of the open concept Great Room... but if you look at the evolution of the Irvine home footprint, the Great Room is an excuse for builders to give you less for more. Homes in the 90s and before also had Great Rooms, but they also had the other rooms too... so you got more for your buck.

IHO, you forgot 90s homes also have 3CWGs starting at 1600sq ft. (RSM)  :-\

I once heard a coworker comment that it's nice to have a separate room/area for people to "get away" especially when you have kids.  Her comment made me think that have the older 90s O floor plan with a formal dining and family room may be good when I have kid(s).

Either way, I am pretty adaptable and do like the feel of the new great rooms especially with the outdoor/indoor areas off the kitchen accessible by a large accordion style door. 

@NQ:

But I don't use them occasionally, so they are not dead to me.

Put yourself in my shoes, any new home I want to buy in Irvine takes that space away from me, so it's not a move up, it's a move down. I think it's lame that TIC has forced people into thinking that's the way it should be.

Just like they did with 3-car wide garages, driveways and now having a proper street with a sidewalk in front of your SFR.

Oh, and dining rooms don't HAVE to be adjacent to the kitchen, so they can be re-purposed.

But let's get back on topic:

Look at the floorplans for Sausalito. These are 3500+sft homes, do you think they efficiently used that space? When I compare them to The Hill in Lambert Ranch, I feel they are inferior.

plan 1 is incredibly inefficient. i have the exact same # of rooms upstairs and downstairs as the plan 1 in 3,000 sq ft and i got one more garage space (just for you IHO).  plan 2 and 3 are pretty nice.

Back