Gap under baseboards

dealcatcher

1) Our baseboards sit on top of the wood. No quarter round was used and I prefer it that way, but do you know if the installer was suppose to fill that small gap in between the wood and the baseboard with caulking?

2) How about the slight gaps on the side of each step where the wood meets the molding on the side of the stairs (not sure if this too is called a baseboard)? Are they supposed to put caulking there?

when I had my floors put in, they caulked the joints, and the part where it meets the drywall.  I never heard of or seen caulking from baseboard to floor. 

Is the floor uneven?  I ditto what broda posted.. caulk at joints and the top part of the baseboard where it meets the drywall.. it should sit flush on your wood floors.

ps9 said:
Is the floor uneven?  I ditto what broda posted.. caulk at joints and the top part of the baseboard where it meets the drywall.. it should sit flush on your wood floors.

No, it's not uneven. It's not so much of a gap, but more of a visible line. I was just wondering if caulking was standard for the seam.

How about the stairs where the side of each wooden planks isn't plum with the sidewall/baseboard?

dealcatcher said:
ps9 said:

No, it's not uneven. It's not so much of a gap, but more of a visible line. I was just wondering if caulking was standard for the seam.

How about the stairs where the side of each wooden planks isn't plum with the sidewall/baseboard?

Did you get this done by a contractor or handyman?

The concrete floor isn't always flat and even so here and there you might get little gaps at the bottom between the floor and baseboard and then sometimes you get a gap between the top of the baseboard and the drywall.  Use white caulking to fill in those gaps (you can do it yourself either with a finger or with a smooth edge and then just clean up the excess before it dries). 

USCTrojanCPA said:
The concrete floor isn't always flat and even so here and there you might get little gaps at the bottom between the floor and baseboard and then sometimes you get a gap between the top of the baseboard and the drywall.  Use white caulking to fill in those gaps (you can do it yourself either with a finger or with a smooth edge and then just clean up the excess before it dries).

Is that proper procedure though to put caulking in the seam between the wood flooring and the baseboard? Wondering if I even need to if it's the norm to have the visible seam between baseboard and wood floor when no quarter round is used.

Thanks SC!

I used a contractor @ eyephone

dealcatcher said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Is that proper procedure though to put caulking in the seam between the wood flooring and the baseboard? Wondering if I even need to if it's the norm to have the visible seam between baseboard and wood floor when no quarter round is used.

Thanks SC!

Post pictures dealcatcher of your issue.

My contractor caulked the gap when I replaced my baseboards with a taller/slightly thicker baseboard.  His rationale was that it would prevent water/liquid from spilling into the wall/floor if this scenario ever came up.

eyephone said:
dealcatcher said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Thanks SC!

Attachments

• baseboards.JPG
    baseboards.JPG
    627.9 KB · Views: 12,014
  • stairs.JPG
    stairs.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 4,723
dealcatcher said:
eyephone said:
dealcatcher said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Thanks SC!

I really like the flooring you chose! What is it?

JasonTheArtist said:
dealcatcher said:
eyephone said:
dealcatcher said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Thanks SC!

I really like the flooring you chose! What is it?

Engineered White Oak

Back