Renting a Room North of the 5

Bennyboy

Just wondering how many people are renting out a room in their home, especially in homes north of the 5 freeway?

I imagine being closer to UCI/IVC would make it significantly easier to rent out a room to a student etc. But are many of you guys or people you all know renting out a room out in Woodbury, Stonegate, Portola Springs? If so what is the market for renting a room like out there. Rent for these rooms much lower than other locations? I've done some research and seen some places out in Portola being a decent drop off compared to say woodbridge area. Also interesting to see that a few of my neighbors have rooms for rent.

How many if you Irvine owners rent a room out of your home? What was your experience like?

Stonegate and Portola Springs are more geared towards family versus students and singles.  I see more rentals for the entire house or condo versus just a room for rent.  Not to say that there isn't any rooms for rent...just not as popular at least from what i see

Ya thats why I was wondering. My neighbors in CG are renting out rooms in their homes and I wouldn't really have thought as they are all families too.

It's not suprising as a lot of people living in Irvine need the extra income from renters to be able to afford their homes because of the ridiculous prices of homes, HOAs, and Mello Roos.  If I were to rent out a room in my home it would be only to close family or friends.  I can't imagine living with a stranger(s) in my home... ughh.. feels like college all over again  :eek:

I have two friends that live in Woodbury and rent out two rooms to IVC students.  Haven't heard anything about Stonegate or Portola Springs, may "seem" too far for them.

Interestingly enough, I think your best bet is to go to an Asian market and look at the community bulletin board.  I see rooms for rent there all the time for Irvine or Tustin.  Of course, it helps if you are Korean or Chinese.

Bennyboy said:
Just wondering how many people are renting out a room in their home, especially in homes north of the 5 freeway?

I imagine being closer to UCI/IVC would make it significantly easier to rent out a room to a student etc. But are many of you guys or people you all know renting out a room out in Woodbury, Stonegate, Portola Springs? If so what is the market for renting a room like out there. Rent for these rooms much lower than other locations? I've done some research and seen some places out in Portola being a decent drop off compared to say woodbridge area. Also interesting to see that a few of my neighbors have rooms for rent.

How many if you Irvine owners rent a room out of your home? What was your experience like?
Go on craigslist orange county, and you will see how much people are renting rooms out for. Like you said, it depends on location of the place for higher rent. (like by uci)

Given the current market of Chinese/Koreans migrating to Irvine, I could probably see renting rooms out to foreign exchange students. My next door neighbor in college was a guy renting out his extra bedrooms to foreign exchange students.  They pretty much covered his entire rent.

Yea, I figured the same thing. Foreign students I imagine are quieter and generally out with their foreign friends studying or something. Only thing I was wondering is if being north of the 5 made it too far for students at UCI, I imagine that students at IVC wouldn't mind so much, but then you're really limiting yourself to just those kids.

Bennyboy said:
Yea, I figured the same thing. Foreign students I imagine are quieter and generally out with their foreign friends studying or something. Only thing I was wondering is if being north of the 5 made it too far for students at UCI, I imagine that students at IVC wouldn't mind so much, but then you're really limiting yourself to just those kids.

Or you can get a foreign student that smokes (chain smokes).  If so, you might find cigarette butts by your front door or if you have a patio/backyard.  :eek: 

Just put an add on craigslist, and you will see who responds to you by email. Last time I posted an ad on craigslist, it was free.

Thanks eyephone. I plan to put up a craigslist ad when my house is built, but I'm just planning for the future. My house is still in the framing phase so I'm still a couple/few months out.

Bennyboy said:
Thanks eyephone. I plan to put up a craigslist ad when my house is built, but I'm just planning for the future. My house is still in the framing phase so I'm still a couple/few months out.

How many rooms are you planning to rent out, and for how much?

Renting out probably the 1 bdroom on the first level. Not sure what market value is for renting a room in this location. Haven't seen any other listings for it, so I haven't actually come up with the number, but if its too low, I'll probably end up keeping it vacant.

Bennyboy said:
Renting out probably the 1 bdroom on the first level. Not sure what market value is for renting a room in this location. Haven't seen any other listings for it, so I haven't actually come up with the number, but if its too low, I'll probably end up keeping it vacant.
Well it depends, is there a full bathroom downstairs that is next to the bedroom?

eyephone said:
Bennyboy said:
Well it depends, is there a full bathroom downstairs that is next to the bedroom?

There is a full bath downstairs however it is a common bath for guests etc

Bennyboy said:
eyephone said:
Bennyboy said:

There is a full bath downstairs however it is a common bath for guests etc

Let's see private room and bathroom downstairs - you should be able to get 600-800. If you throw in 1 parking space in your garage - around another hundred possibly.

Funny, if you read description, the owner will still live there but I assume in one of the other secondary bedrooms.  You could rent a 1 bedroom in the Park or Village for that amount.

Back