Meiji Seimen (Udon restaurant), Costa Mesa

momopi

Meiji Seimen
1113 Baker St #E
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714-545-5175

New opening, not on yelp (gasp!), cash only.  This is a hand-made udon shop that also serves a few other noodle/ramen dishes.  The undon is al dente and not as soft as you might get elsewhere.  If you like freshly made udon cooked a little bit on the hard side, this is a good place.  Noodle start at $5-ish and rice bowls start at $3.50.

IMAGE_9AC91503-0C5F-4CBE-9251-27D22B4862FF.JPG

IMAGE_15AFFE12-425D-4791-A269-8EC921F444D1.JPG

IMAGE_3E534642-D66D-4847-AFB0-21E4130E21C7.JPG

IMAGE_FD32E96A-3927-443A-BCCC-F9E57C0E3886.JPG

IMAGE_51EB3C76-BB0B-4A7F-95EC-B30627A69B19.JPG

Had dinner here recently... pretty good.. walking in, it seems like one of those Japanese places inside the train stations.. pretty authentic except for the Ikea lantern..

Decent, on par with Fukada but no salad..

Surprisingly the best dish of the night was my daughters.. tasty tender Japanese fried chicken..we were fighting over her "chicken nana's"

Grilled squid.. goes great with beer... I can never get this consistency at home... i think they boil the squid then do a quick sizzle over the charcoal to get that roasty tentacly taste

Shoyu ramen.. oversalted but noodles were good.. wife seems to like it.. I prefer Kairakutei still

Wish they would change the restaurant name...

I have fond memories of the strip mall where this noodle shop is.. Spent a lot of my youth at the 7-11 next door.. Hadoken!

What is picture #1 of the above post?!!!  :eek: What is that thing? It looks like a fried Facehugger.  :'( I'm scared.

I can not get this phrase out of my head. I read it like 5 times in disbelief. It's so graphic. It needs a PG-13 warning.

"that roasty tentacly taste"

I'm with you SoCal.

I think I've figured it out... I don't like to eat stuff that reminds me of what it was before. Maybe that's why I don't like to eat meat with bone.

SoCal said:
What is picture #1 of the above post?!!!  :eek: What is that thing? It looks like a fried Facehugger.  :'( I'm scared.

this is so deja vu....... it's just fried battered squid tentacles... my 4 year old ate it... she had no complaints :)

You can try everything once... then decide if you like it or not.. or just watch Zimmern's bizarre foods.. one of my fav

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNy8MUPOAtQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqgrIUfXs8[/youtube]

At all you can eat K-BBQ you'd find stuff like squid and intestines on the menu.  IMO they're kinda hard and tough to chew when cooked on the grill.

There are also Korean restaurants where the octopus is freshly killed right before serving.  As you eat the still wiggling tentacles, it actually suction cups to the inside of your mouth, fighting for its survival.

irvinehomeowner said:
Oh wow... SoCal... don't click play on momo's videos... I think I'm going to hurl.

smiley-scared002.gif

squid2.gif

I JUST CLICKED IT.  I WAS SCREAMING THE ENTIRE TIME!!!! Run away!

Haha, it doesn't get much fresher than that!!  :p

I'd try the fresh squid first before the baby octopus.  Only concern is possible choking hazard if it happens to be a feisty one with lots of fight.  Otherwise I'm sure it tastes like the ocean.

I'm not sure which video grossed me out more... no one ate anything in squid video but can you imagine what it was thinking as it could watch the chef cutting up the rest of its body? I know the last thing that went through it's mind... the knife.  ???

I had nightmares about eating live octopus last night. This thread has really forced me to reconsider my future plan to snag an Asian husband. If he would hate me for not sucking down a sea monster and never doing my grocery shopping at Petco, it would never, could never work.  :'(

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not sure which video grossed me out more... no one ate anything in squid video but can you imagine what it was thinking as it could watch the chef cutting up the rest of its body? I know the last thing that went through it's mind... the knife.  ???

Wait... what??!!! You are saying it could SEE itself being cut up?? I watched the whole thing. I did not notice that. Then again, I do not know where the eyes are!

Back