Public or Montessori Kindergarten

kalbi

Would you keep your child in montessori kinder or transition him/her to public kinder in IUSD? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Some things to think about:

1. Montessori has longer instructional days, public school is half day for Kinder
2. Montessori has private controlled environment whereas most of IUSD schools are wide open campuses
3. Starting kids in kinder at public school will establish relationships with friends, teachers etc if they plan to stay at that school
4. Starting kids in kinder at public school may help with acclimating them to the system
5. Public school is cheaper
6. Meals might be better at Montessori than IUSD
7. Depending on the school (both Montessori or public), parent involvement will vary
8. Class sizes and teacher to student ratio is usually better in Montessori

It's a difficult decision and varies by the kids, the teachers and the parents... I know some parents who did it at Kinder and had no problem, others preferred to keep their kids in private longer.

Will be having the same decision soon, how much is CDC after school program?  We're thinking if its bout the same as full day preschool, might as well stay private.  Kids can adapt easily, skipping public kindergarten should not affect a 6 year old social life :)

Personally my kid is not emotionally mature enough to transition into public kinder, unless she changes drastically, the better teacher/kids ratio at a private preschool should benefit her an additional year.

ps9 said:
Personally my kid is not emotionally mature enough to transition into public kinder, unless she changes drastically,

Fwiw, I thought the same thing. Be prepared for the possibility of a drastic change. It isn't far-fetched at all. There was a dramatic change in emotional-maturity for the better going into Kindergarten for my little one. I was astounded. I don't know if it was due to a change in setting or what but the Kindergarten teacher said it's due to how much kids grow in such a short period even if it's just over the summer. We went from inconsolable melt-downs every day in preschool with the teacher telling me to hold him back a year (predictable)... to near perfect behavior the following September when I sent him through to Kindergarten in public school. It's been a complete 180. I'm so happy and amazed with the way things turned out!

If the kid will go to CDC, better to keep them in the Montessori for another year. But if the kid comes home after school, by all means send them to Public K. I am not a fan of CDC.. purely from the things I have heard from other kids/ parents.

One issue I have with private school is usually the kids are from many different areas (some not even Irvine). In a public school, it's neighborhood kids, which helps with BFFs (heh).

As for the cost of CDC compared to private school, it's about $200-$300 less per month but when you throw in the cost of meals and snacks and donations, you're looking at a comparable cost.

I agree with CZ, K+CDC is inferior to full day private school.

I'm not sure what Starlight East means.

CDC = $800/mo
Public School Donations ($500/year) = $50/mo
Meals (say your kid does the cafeteria every day for lunch/snack $5/day) = $100/mo

Total for public + CDC = $950/mo

Private school = $1000-@$1200/mo

As far as I know, the Montessori schools don't ask for donations... but that may differ per school.

Ah... I was referring to the public school fundraising... as I said... the schools I was familiar with had no extra donations like our IUSD schools.

People move to Irvine to go to the great public schools.  Why would you send your kids to a private school if you live in Irvine?  You're property is very expensive partly due to the good schools.

zubs said:
People move to Irvine to go to the great public schools.  Why would you send your kids to a private school if you live in Irvine?  You're property is very expensive partly due to the good schools.
The hours are much more flexible in private.  Drop off at 7am and pick up at 6pm.  Some families have both parents working.  Also, you can take your kid out of private school for vacations at any time, public give you a hard time cuz attendance is tied to budget.

I put my little one in public school because I want her to know that she's very special, just like everyone else.

We did private for Kindergarten- and with the one actually did private for 1st grade.  Have to say my kids were much more advanced than the others going into 1st grade. 

One other benefit to public school depending on where you live is it's usually close to your home... makes drop offs and pickups or errands to their school easier.

IrvineRepublic said:
I put my little one in public school because I want her to know that she's very special, just like everyone else.

The social interaction part is much more important to me than the actual academic learning. 

First, I don't think all Montessori schools are the same.  There is a wide range of quality even within Irvine.  Some are more militant and others barely follow the Montessori Method.  Second, it does depend on the kid and their intellect compared to the others in the room.  I kept my son in a Montessori school for kindergarten and I thought he did well because he so far advanced by the time he went to 1st grade.  My daughter is in public kindergarten now and I just don't think that she is learning as much as my son did. Who knows, kids are different and will one year really make a difference?  But, if money wasn't an object, I would have prolly had my daughter go to a Montessori for kindergarten.

I would switch to public school.  It's FREE!  Montessori schools are outrageously expensive - why pay for an extra year if you don't have to?  I also think it's good for kids to make the transition to the structured style of public school in kindergarten, when the work is still pretty easy and the day less rigorous.  Entering in first grade will be a tougher adjustment, in my opinion.

I do see the drawback of going from a full day preschool experience to a half day kindergarten, but I don't think that's a strong enough reason to stay in Montessori.

I have two children currently enrolled at the LePort Montessori in Woodbridge.  They call it the ?Lake Campus?.  Montessori is expensive indeed, especially times two.  Our son is about to complete his second year and our daughter, her first.  We have weighed out whether we stay with Montessori for kindergarten year or jump to public school for almost an entire year. 

For many of us parents, the question to keep a child in Montessori for their Kindergarten year definitely includes economics, which is the obvious factor.  There are other factors as well - some that may not appear all that dramatic on the surface.  However, I think these ?less obvious? differences are critical to making an educated decision.  It?s a personal choice.  For me, certain factors such as parent fund-raising and the food they serve are incidental.  Social development, the learning environment and overall happiness of my child are the most important.  Academics are important, but I am more interested ?how? my child learns to learn at this stage in the game, as opposed to ?what? they learn, per se. 

And, this is why I started taking note of what I think are the pros and cons over the last year in looking at each of my children?s development and growth in their Montessori experiences so far.  All the while, I?ve talked to many friends with children in public school and did lots of on-line research.

The first and biggest pro of sending them to a public school in Irvine is the before mentioned obvious one -- hard cost.  Public school is free.  Montessori is not.  For many, the ?cost? factor may be the breaker.  For me however, I think it is equally important to look at the ?cost? of taking my son out of his Montessori education at such a critical stage in the game and putting him in to IUSD public kindergarten.  After all, we will have invested in two years of Montessori?is it really that big of a deal? 

Although there are many others, these are the most critical differentiators I thought important in weighing out a decision:

1.  Having invested 2 years into Montessori, the third year ?kindergarten year? is when all of his earlier hands on lessons come together.  The lessons within completion of the third year solidify his understanding of the concepts.  His early introduction to addition with large numbers will be further developed with more advanced lessons into the thousands.  This is the year he will move on to even more engaging lessons and advanced Montessori materials.  If I yank him now and put him in public kindergarten, all the counting and language skills he acquired in 2 years of hands on, sensorial lessons will be put on a shelf for several years and most likely lost (ugg).  This is the tender age where sensorial learning is the most critical ? before he moves on to more abstract learning.  The third year gives him the essential amount of time to complete this cycle of growth and learning BEFORE the program is changed.  In order for him to take everything he has learned with him to become a permanent part of his understanding, this year is most critical.  Otherwise, it?s kind of like going for a Masters degree and skipping the thesis. 

2.  Montessori has mixed age classes.  This has benefited both my children tremendously.  My son has waited two years to be one of the leaders of his class.  He talks about the lessons the older (kindergarten) children are learning and cannot wait to take on that role.  As a result, he is motivated to further his own learning ?on his own- without being offered gold stars, points, prizes, trophies and treats that traditional teaching uses.  The kindergartners in a Montessori class are looked up to as role models for the younger ones.  This teaches them leadership skills beyond what can be learned in a same age classroom where competition and prizes are the main motivator.  Research has shown this has powerful benefits for both the ?older experienced? and ?less experienced? learners.

3.  After reading through the milestones and learning objectives of IUSD kindergarten curriculum, it is clear that the primary Montessori curriculum is much more advanced.  However, content isn?t just the most important issue.  Age 5 is a very critical year of learning and development.  They still require a sensorial approach to learning allowing them to see, feel and touch the materials.  They need to actually ?DO? the lessons.  Research shows that children from age 3-6 learn by observing and manipulating their environment, not through textbooks and workbook exercises, which is what he will get in public kindergarten.  The Montessori sensorial activities are designed to directly address this critical need.  Most importantly, my observation of my children?s Montessori teachers is that they are sophisticated masters at facilitating each lesson, allowing the students to work at their own pace and check their own work effectively with freedom and ease.  Having been a former professional corporate instructor, I so appreciate that.  I fear my son will not receive a fraction of the individualized attention in public kindergarten.  This is invaluable.  By age six the gap for learning by ?doing? begins to close and they typically need more intellectual learning.  Montessori harnesses that critical third year to close that gap and prepare them for the next cycle. 

4.  Having spent two wonderful years with his current teachers, my son?s teachers know him VERY well.  His primary teacher understands his unique learning style, his challenges and his quirky little personality.  I want him to focus on his love of learning and not have to take several months to adjust to a new system, a strange teacher and completely new teaching methodology.  I don?t believe the one size fits all curriculum at public school would benefit him at this point.  As far as socializing, I?m not clear why parents feel it would be ?better? in a public school.  My son has many good friends not just in his class, but the entire school.  Both my children have good relationships with all other teachers on campus who know them both by name.  They are exposed to new friends when the occasional child does get taken out and transferred to a public kindergarten, so I?m not sure what the concern is.  We are still in the air whether to keep our children in Montessori after kindergarten.  As for my older son, by age 6, he should be ready to make an adjustment if needed.  Now is not the time to expose him to a big change in my opinion, especially since he is an early October child and one of the youngest amongst his age group. 

5. Montessori introduces children to basic geometry and other advanced math concepts as early as kindergarten.

6.  At LePort, my son can continue to progress at his own pace.  In traditional kindergarten, he would have to wait for other children to catch up.  Montessori kindergarten children study cultural geography and begin to think and grow as global citizens.  This is usually not taught in public school until about third grade or later.  I like that the curriculum actually includes teaching grace and courtesy AS A PRACTICE, not a concept they read in a book.

7.  He will learn about lakes, islands, peninsulas and other geological forms, rather then circles, squares, and rectangles that he already mastered his first year.  He will be exposed to fine art, rather than learn basic colors, of which my daughter in her first year is already mastering.

8.  Importantly, in Montessori classroom, learning is not focused on rote drill and memorization.  My son really does understand his work and loves to learn.  I?ve read too many horror stories about how the average American student really doesn?t understand why they are learning something.  This gets drilled in with standardization and tests, even homework in kindergarten.   

While the differences appear subtle, I believe they are hugely significant. I see that allowing both our children to complete their third year in Montessori will have long term, positive impact on them as they go on to learn as teenagers and who they will grow into as adults.

In the end, for us, the ?soft cost" of all of the above FAR outweighs the ?hard cost" of what we pay to send our children to LePort Montessori.  I am clear that the third year is really the ?completion? year of our investment in the education and essential.  After that, we go back to the drawing board and look at the pros and cons of keeping them in Montessori for their elementary years!  :D

Back