R.I.P. Twinkies?

irvinehomeowner

I don't understand how a union would let 18000 people lose their jobs.

I don't know the details but some things just don't make sense... I'm sure someone will buy up the brand and Ding Dongs will be back... but what about all those jobs?

That's what unions do.  Too bad we can't fire government monopoly unions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4PwZCWUdg[/youtube]

So funny... people went out and bought up all the Hostess products and trying to make money by putting them on eBay.

I forgot that Hostess also makes those mini donuts, Donettes, and so when I went to the grocery to look for some because my kid loves them... there were none to be found... oh... the children!!!

Now is your opportunity to open a bakery and make imitation hostess products for all those vending machines out there!

Come to the think of it, I do recall "generic" twinkie like products back the 80's.

Little Debbie's already does Hostess-like snack cakes:

a.jpg

And it looks like they have the mini-donuts my kid likes:

donut_powdered.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
So funny... people went out and bought up all the Hostess products and trying to make money by putting them on eBay.

I forgot that Hostess also makes those mini donuts, Donettes, and so when I went to the grocery to look for some because my kid loves them... there were none to be found... oh... the children!!!

i eat these for breakfast with milk - i knew they would be out next time i went to the grocery store and sure enough. GONE.

A rather painful suicide for 18,500 brothers...

The Twinkie, a Suicide:

"The snack giant endured $52 million in workers' comp claims in 2011.... Hostess's 372 collective-bargaining agreements required it to maintain 80 different health and benefit plans, 40 pension plans and mandated a $31 million increase in wages and health care and other benefits in 2012.

Union work rules usually required cake and bread products to be delivered to a single retail location using two separate trucks. Drivers weren't allowed to load their own vehicles, and the workers who loaded bread weren't allowed to load cake. On most  delivery routes, another "pull up" employee moved products from back rooms to shelves.

This year management negotiated concessions from some of the unions, including the Teamsters, but the bakers rejected a last and best offer in September. Then the courts gave Hostess unilateral authority  to modify collective bargaining contracts. prompting the strike. So now it will liquidate, instead of attempting to emerge from Chapter 11 intact.

The 18,500 layoffs are equal to about 11% of the new net jobs the entire U.S. economy created in October. The unions are blaming private equity, or Bain Capital, or capitalism, but the election is over. And so is Hostess.

--Wall Street Journal. November 17-18, page A16

Read this morning that they have to negotiate again because they didn't go through the mediation process correctly... there is Hostess Hope.

Back