Coffee thread, post your favorites and recommendations

ps99472

Been a coffee drinker since school days, average about a big cup a day.  I do my own brewing at home with a $50 drip cone style filter machine into a thermos carafe.  Our go to daily grind has been the Jose's Colombian Supremo from Costco.  Great if you like milder coffee without the "Starbucks" kick.  We've been drinking Jose's for a few years now and has always gone back to it after infrequently flirting with Coffee Bean, DD, 1% Kona blends, etc.  Recently I found this coffee at Trader Joe's

coffee_zpse63986d9.jpg

Believe it was around $8-9 a can for whole beans.  Again a milder coffee but taste sweeter then Jose's.  Our current fav.

Do you guys drink coffee for the taste or the kick?  I'm not a coffee drinker but I I need a kick I just down a extra strength 5 hour energy.

I'm not affected by the kick anymore, more to prevent the headache I get if I don't drink it.  Love the taste as well.  I can drink a venti size Starbucks drip coffee at night and still fall asleep with no problems.

ps9 said:
I'm not affected by the kick anymore, more to prevent the headache I get if I don't drink it.  Love the taste as well.  I can drink a venti size Starbucks drip coffee at night and still fall asleep with no problems.

That's exactly what I was going to say - not so much for a kick but to prevent the headaches from going without.

On the sleep issue - that exact point was discussed in the video I'm going to post below. The technician does drone on and out but he mentions that topic word-for-word. He describes how he'll get a man in doing a sleep study who says he drinks coffee before bed and "sleeps just fine". It's partly true, as he is monitored and seen falling sleep. However, it notoriously affects REM sleep which is our deepest state of sleep, providing disruptive sleep patterns, causing the person to lose out on quality sleep. sleep is vital to repairing our bodies. The part begins at the 15 minute mark.

It's worth a watch.

If the man in the video looks familiar to you, it's because he is David Elmore Smith, a.k.a. The 650 lb. Virgin as featured on two TLC specials. I happen to be a Facebook fan of his and watched this video he posted.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSUMpIeHyg&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

We've got a Keurig machine and brew Diedrich's French Roast. Makes a cup the same way I prefer my women - dark and bitter.

During the day I don't always drink commercially produced coffee drinks, but when I do, I drink Lee's Coffee.

If you need an afternoon pick me up and can locate a Lees Sandwiches store, try one of their large Lee's Iced Coffee drinks. The bloody things are pure rocket fuel.  It's got to have a heavy caffeine content. The best endorsement: there are two locations on Campus Drive for students at UCI.

Soylent Green Is People said:
We've got a Keurig machine and brew Diedrich's French Roast. Makes a cup the same way I prefer my women - dark and bitter.

During the day I don't always drink commercially produced coffee drinks, but when I do, I drink Lee's Coffee.

If you need an afternoon pick me up and can locate a Lees Sandwiches store, try one of their large Lee's Iced Coffee drinks. The bloody things are pure rocket fuel.  It's got to have a heavy caffeine content. The best endorsement: there are two locations on Campus Drive for students at UCI.

There's like a 1000 calories in that drink right??

Folgers Classic => French Press => Add milk and sugar => Froth => Drink while super hot. As simple as that.
Or, walk to Starbucks, get one of them sweetened coffees.

Kick- not so much, but addicted to the smell.

I usually mail order, from Caffe D'Arte (Firenze blend) and Espresso Vivace (Dolce and Vita blends) in Seattle.  I favor the traditional/classic espresso and coffee profiles versus the more trendy super-acidic/bright profiles from LA Mill, Intelligentsia and other "trendy" coffee houses.

Espresso - LaMarzocco GS5 or coffee via Vacuum/Syphon pot.

Hey Homer!

280 calories for a Lees Coffee Light Large

Per Lee's http://www.leesandwiches.com/main.php?act=prodetail&catid=1&id=cf_lycafeiced although 11g of saturated fat which is no bueno. Perhaps they misplaced a decimal point?

Compare that to a Starbucks Iced Cafe Latte with 2 additional shot drink. That's 130 calories and 2.5g of saturated fat.

Lee's doesn't list the caffeine count as Starbucks does (150mg Cafe Latte, + 150mg for the additional shots) One Monster is 160mg. I can drink 2 Monsters and sleep like a baby, or 1 Lee's and pace all night.

Our current coffee champ.. and I thought nothing can dethrone Jose's Columbian... Definitely a stronger brew than Jose's.. but not quite kick you in the face star buck french roast..

toasty... chocolaty after taste..... wifey approved....at your local Costco until it's all gone.. stock up now..

Yeah, the Maj. D's comes in K-Cups, too. I added that one to my carousel a few weeks ago.

9D00591F-2529-4B2F-A872-88FC2BACD7EE_zpsfdkgvxez.jpg

Got this today from TJ, $20, can't wait to try.  The whole bean Joe's Dark Coffee is also pretty good. 

So instead of bumping the other thread, I'll bump this one to get ps9 to come back.

I'm actually surprised at the number of non-Starbucks shops in Irvine... off the top of my head:

Peets
Portola (technically Tustin, The District)
CBTL (shouldn't really count but is not Starbucks)
The Lost Bean (not open yet)
Coffee Byul (I think this closed?)
Coffee Tomo
Blk Dot Coffee (unsure if related to Master BLK)
Cielo Coffee

There is probably more but I guess coffee is still big and there is room even with SBUX domination.

I think the tea/boba places might outnumber coffee though.

Ya coffee Byul closed. It?s some Hawaiian coffee spot now. My coffee tastebuds have been forever ruined by SBUX. But locally, my favorite is probably portola.

Back