First Day of School Tips

irvinehomeowner

I realize this is a day too late but I was wondering what do you guys usually do for your first day of school.

Today was the first day for IUSD non-year round schools and based on our experience from last year (which was our first year going to a public school), we did things a little differently this year:

1. School Supply Donations:

Not sure if every school does this but ours does. Do you have to bring these on the very first day? I think it's a bit overwhelming to have kids try to find their new class, talk to new/old friends and carry around their backpacks AND a bag of school supplies. Last year, we felt bad for a kid whose bag broke and all his supplies spilled out and his parents weren't there so we had to help him with it.

So this year, we didn't have ours bring it on the first day. Sure, there were many kids who did bring them and maybe during the morning whenever they get collected, our kid will feel left out but we told her that she would bring it at a later date.

2. First Day Groupings:

This year our school got it right and actually grouped the classes better. For the most part, secondary (grades 4-6) were in one area and primary (K-3) were in a different area. Additionally, the signs for each area were actually facing the right direction instead of inconveniently out to the field where no one approaches the common area.

I like that our teacher actually allowed us to stay with them until they walked into their classroom and even let us inside the class to see where our child is seated. Other teachers don't do that, and are actually a bit strict about it ("If you don't let them do it on their own, they will never learn"). While I understand giving your child independence, this is more about the parent knowing what type of environment their kids are in and where they are seated etc etc. There are differing opinions on this but I prefer giving parents as much access as a teacher can. Last year, we weren't even allowed to walk with them to their classes.

3. Parents sticking around:

I think more then half the parents just drop their kids off and leave them there which I understand with work and all but I feel if you can stay with them during the whole time, take pictures, talk to them, talk to other parents and talk to their teacher... it makes for a good start for the year. Although... I still think other parents are scared of me.  :(  So if you can, please take some time off work for the first day (especially if it's the very first day) as it probably helps your children as much as it helps you.

4. Breakfast:

Interestingly enough, our kid reminded us that she should eat a good breakfast (she usually just has some fruit in the morning). I think that's a good tip for everyone.

I'll re-visit this thread next year and make it more timely instead of posting as an afterthought.

So how was your first day today?

First day was smooth!

1. School supplies- dad carried. We ordered in school once, none of them were good quality, and we ended up rebuying a lot of stuff because kid wouldn't use them.

2. Our classrooms lined up in designated spots, and we were allowed to walk our kids to classroom, and take pictures. I didn't cry :) Usually once I leave them in the classroom and get them settled, tears will just flow like an automated response, but not today.

3. Both of us took time off work. Always done that. The kids like it too. Some parents don't show up, some have only one with them.. but yeah, we scare others too with an united front on the first day. Got to know a few other parents too, which helps.

4. Kids Z bar. That's it. I think she ate 80%. By next week they will be eating well. Today is the first day they woke up before 9 in the past three months. I am sure they will be hungry midmorning :)

The middle schooler said bye and ran off to friends. She didn't have to carry any supplies today. List comes home later.
That's all! Oh, we went on a small coffee date right after- another back to school tradition :)

ETA: I am feeling very lonely all of a sudden. Empty nest :) I should have gone to work..easier to cope. Other than the taps on the laptop keys, there is absolute silence.

You're a good dad, Iho. Also, it's so nice of you to help that boy with his broken bag. Curious - why do you think the other parents are intimidated by you?

Good post. I've shared many of your thoughts and concerns. Will follow up soon...

irvinehomeowner said:
So this year, we didn't have ours bring it on the first day. Sure, there were many kids who did bring them and maybe during the morning whenever they get collected, our kid will feel left out but we told her that she would bring it at a later date.

... Continued....

At the last 3 schools we've been to - two at IUSD and one at SVUSD - the supplies are not collected & pooled together past Kindergarten. Only in Kindergarten are they shared. They are kept as individual supplies, labeled with the student's name. Are you sure your daughter's class collects them??

When my son began 1st grade, it was the very first time we were returning to school from having attended a previous year. I did not realize they already sent out the supplies list at the end of the previous year. I thought they were going to give it to us on the first day. So, he started school without them. All the other kids had theirs. My son told me the teacher made kind of a big deal about the fact his mommy didn't pack him any and told him to share. I died inside when I heard that. I always really try hard to stay on top of things and be prepared so it just killed me that she made it obvious in front of the class. (This was BEFORE the memory issues, by the way.) It was a simple mistake on my part. Or maybe they never did give me the supplies list. Who knows.

Fast-forward to the start of another school year. I was determined to never let that happen again. I was carrying the stuffed plastic bags full of school supplies, Kleenex box, etc. I walked him to his line. The bag broke on me! Stuff spilled everywhere right as the line was being led away by the teacher for the long walk to the classroom. Ugh! I had double-bagged it but both handles broke anyway. I was really glad at least I was there for him. I don't know what he would have done without me there. Freaked out, I'm sure.

I'm glad to see another parent besides me thinks it's overwhelming for a kid to be expected to carry all these school supplies in addition to their backpack, lunch box, etc. I agree, it's too much.

So, I've done it both ways - sending the kid without all the items the first day and the breaking bag. I would never want a repeat experience of the missing supplies again. This year we got lucky for my younger son in that the classes asked for smaller supplies (ex: no binders, no big Kleenex). We got my older son a rolling backpack which he pulls around. Iho, these help a lot!! You don't have to worry about breaking their backs. All the big supplies fit in there. Yeah, it was heavy. But it worked fine. No breaking bags, no heavy loads on their back, and the kids were prepared.

Yeah... I think it's kind of a share/keep system now.

That evening we went to Office Depot (our school has an account that gives them 5% of the sales) and went through what she needed on the list... turns out about half the things she already has or there were leftovers from last year.

So each day, she tells me what she needs and I send it with her, yesterday she needed the 3-ring binder, today she needed her accordion file and Sharpies (she borrowed someone's yesterday and lost it so I sent extra).

One of the things they always put on the list is paper... not just 1 ream... but THREE, two of copy paper and one of lined paper. Can anyone imagine sending your child out trying to carry 3 reams of paper? Those are still in our "stash" so when she needs them, I will send them, one ream at a time, with her.

Our oldest used a rolling backpack last year but this year she went back to the regular one but we might buy her another roller... we'll see.

Oh... and I think other parents are afraid of me because I look scary... so they avoid eye contact and don't say hi. Funny story... there was this other father who I felt was mean (always had a worried face) and I stereotyped him as probably someone who doesn't speak English very well which is why he never talks to me... but I ran into him somewhere and decided to break the ice... turns out that not only is he very nice... but he speaks PERFECT English. Serves me right for my own FCB theories. :)

Iho, I also hate it when the teacher gives a NEW supply list when school starts which is different from the one already distributed by the office. Helloooo. We already went shopping. Don't make me do it again, Lady!  :'(

irvinehomeowner said:
not just 1 ream... but THREE, two of copy paper and one of lined paper. Can anyone imagine sending your child out trying to carry 3 reams of paper? Those are still in our "stash" so when she needs them, I will send them, one ream at a time, with her.

OMG, I KNOW!! Who makes these rules?!? Let's see what else we can come up with. Gee, why not just go ahead and throw in an electric sharpener, a heavy stapler, a few more packs of paper at 3 lbs. each and hey- how about a computer printer. What else can fit in the backpack without it ripping!? CRAZY. These kids are going to be doing the army crawl to their class.

irvinehomeowner said:
Oh... and I think other parents are afraid of me because I look scary... so they avoid eye contact and don't say hi. Funny story... there was this other father who I felt was mean (always had a worried face) and I stereotyped him as probably someone who doesn't speak English very well which is why he never talks to me... but I ran into him somewhere and decided to break the ice... turns out that not only is he very nice... but he speaks PERFECT English. Serves me right for my own FCB theories. :)

Hehe. That reminds me of when I was a kid. I didn't meet an Asian person until I was in the 3rd grade. I didn't know they could speak English in a "Standard American Accent" like me , i.e. without an Asian accent, from what I saw on TV up until that time.  :-[ I was totally blown away when an Asian boy opened his mouth and spoke to me. It was like a disembodied voice coming from someone / somewhere else.  :) Hard to put together.

Oooh, you're scary, huh?? Do tell!! I want all the details why you are scary. You don't mean the size, do you? Maybe you have a crazed look in your eye.

I'm more like Kindergarten Cop than Conan when it comes to kids.

kindergarten-cop-arnold.jpg

You are so not scary. You are no such thing. Iho, do you think I am blind?? I have seen ugly and I have seen fugly... you are not it.

Found this on the IUSD site:
http://www.iusd.org/eclc/documents/01ParentNewsletter-September.pdf

Beginning the School Year

Mark your calendar.
Make a note of important dates such as school holidays and breaks.  ECLC is now on a year round schedule so you?ll want
to note the breaks that occur throughout the year.

Buy school supplies. 
Try to get needed school supplies as soon as possible so that your child comes to school well prepared.

Reestablish bedtime and mealtime routines.
During the break, school year bedtime and mealtime routines change and more flexibility in daily routine/schedules is allowed.  However, when school starts, it?s a good idea to reestablish bedtime and mealtime (both breakfast and dinner) routines so that your child will be well rested and better able to adjust to the
summer to school year transition.

Turn off the television. 
Rather than watching television, engage your child in play or other fun activities.  This will help ease your child into the learning process and school routine.  If     
possible, maintain this practice throughout the school year.

Designate a clear place to work. 
It?s usually a good idea to set aside an area in the family room or kitchen where children can play and engage in various activities.  This facilitates adult monitoring, supervision, and encouragement.

The First Week

Clear your own schedule. 
To the extent possible, postpone business trips, volunteer meetings, and extra projects.  You want to be free to help your child acclimate to school routine and overcome the confusion or anxiety that many children experience at the start of the school year.

Set alarm clocks & leave plenty of extra time.
Make sure your child has plenty of time to get up, eat breakfast, and get to school.

Get to know your child?s teacher. 
Convey a sincere desire to be a partner with your child?s teacher to enhance their learning experience.

Overcoming Anxiety

Let your child know you care.
If your child shows anxiety related to going to school, reassure them and reinforce the idea that school is a fun place to be.  Children absorb
parent?s anxiety so model optimism and confidence for your child. 

Do not over react.
If the first few weeks are a little rough, try not to over react. It is not unusual for young children to experience separation anxiety or shyness initially but teachers are trained to help them adjust.  If you drop them off, try not to linger.  Reassure them that you love them, will think of them during the day, and will see them soon.  Remain calm and positive (even if you are feeling
anxious on the inside!)

Arrange play dates. 
If possible, and if appropriate for your child, it may help to arrange get-togethers with some of your child?s classmates during the first weeks of school to help establish positive social relationships with peers.

irvinehomeowner said:
Found this on the IUSD site:
http://www.iusd.org/eclc/documents/01ParentNewsletter-September.pdf

Beginning the School Year

Mark your calendar.
Make a note of important dates such as school holidays and breaks.  ECLC is now on a year round schedule so you?ll want
to note the breaks that occur throughout the year.

Buy school supplies. 
Try to get needed school supplies as soon as possible so that your child comes to school well prepared.

Reestablish bedtime and mealtime routines.
During the break, school year bedtime and mealtime routines change and more flexibility in daily routine/schedules is allowed.  However, when school starts, it?s a good idea to reestablish bedtime and mealtime (both breakfast and dinner) routines so that your child will be well rested and better able to adjust to the
summer to school year transition.

Turn off the television. 
Rather than watching television, engage your child in play or other fun activities.  This will help ease your child into the learning process and school routine.  If     
possible, maintain this practice throughout the school year.

Designate a clear place to work. 
It?s usually a good idea to set aside an area in the family room or kitchen where children can play and engage in various activities.  This facilitates adult monitoring, supervision, and encouragement.

The First Week

Clear your own schedule. 
To the extent possible, postpone business trips, volunteer meetings, and extra projects.  You want to be free to help your child acclimate to school routine and overcome the confusion or anxiety that many children experience at the start of the school year.

Set alarm clocks & leave plenty of extra time.
Make sure your child has plenty of time to get up, eat breakfast, and get to school.

Get to know your child?s teacher. 
Convey a sincere desire to be a partner with your child?s teacher to enhance their learning experience.

Overcoming Anxiety

Let your child know you care.
If your child shows anxiety related to going to school, reassure them and reinforce the idea that school is a fun place to be.  Children absorb
parent?s anxiety so model optimism and confidence for your child. 

Do not over react.
If the first few weeks are a little rough, try not to over react. It is not unusual for young children to experience separation anxiety or shyness initially but teachers are trained to help them adjust.  If you drop them off, try not to linger.  Reassure them that you love them, will think of them during the day, and will see them soon.  Remain calm and positive (even if you are feeling
anxious on the inside!)

Arrange play dates. 
If possible, and if appropriate for your child, it may help to arrange get-togethers with some of your child?s classmates during the first weeks of school to help establish positive social relationships with peers.

i guess this one thing that has changed from back in the day IHO - the wimpyfying (dont think that is a word) of kids. My mom just dropped me off and i cried my eyes out, but she left anyway. Now they suggest you clear your schedule for the first week - give me damn break. Parents think every little thing is somehow going to impact their kid in the worst possible way and as a result they wont be contributing members of society when they are older.

qwerty said:
i guess this one thing that has changed from back in the day IHO - the wimpyfying (dont think that is a word) of kids. My mom just dropped me off and i cried my eyes out, but she left anyway. Now they suggest you clear your schedule for the first week - give me damn break. Parents think every little thing is somehow going to impact their kid in the worst possible way and as a result they wont be contributing members of society when they are older.
You got lucky that you got dropped off, my parents were both gone by the time that I had to leave to go to school.  I either walked or rode my bike with friends.

Well... despite what you think, society as a whole has changed. Back in the "Little House on the Prairie" days, kids got married as teenagers and had families before their twenties.

You either feel it's progress or not. Back in our day, kids got beaten all the time... but because that was the standard, the case for real abuse was more common so that had to change. Children are much more protected today and whether or not that's "wimpyfying" doesn't matter because as a society, if we think caring more for our children is better for them... that's how it goes. Whether or not that was how it was when we were kids is moot.

People use to smoke everywhere all the time... is that wimpyfying?

The point of view that matters today is the current parents'... not the former kids who don't have kids and can only talk about how it was when they were kids. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Well... despite what you think, society as a whole has changed. Back in the "Little House on the Prairie" days, kids got married as teenagers and had families before their twenties.

You either feel it's progress or not. Back in our day, kids got beaten all the time... but because that was the standard, the case for real abuse was more common so that had to change. Children are much more protected today and whether or not that's "wimpyfying" doesn't matter because as a society, if we think caring more for our children is better for them... that's how it goes. Whether or not that was how it was when we were kids is moot.

People use to smoke everywhere all the time... is that wimpyfying?

The point of view that matters today is the current parents'... not the former kids who don't have kids and can only talk about how it was when they were kids. :)

i cant wait to have kids so my viewpoints can have some legitimacy  :)

actually, the more i think about it, i dont think things have changed, i think it is just the environment im in now and what i see around me. I grew up in a poor/poorer are of southern california where education was somewhat secondary to being able to pay the bills and provide food.  i know for a fact that in these areas, little kids that are 6-7 years old walk, ride their bikes to school, etc.  Also, their parents dont clear their schedule and make themselves available to help little Billy with his traumatic first day of school, because if they did clear their schedule they wouldnt get paid and and there would be no food on the table.  I think the wimpification of kids probably always existed with the well to do folks, i just wasnt around to see it.

qwerty said:
actually, the more i think about it, i dont think things have changed, i think it is just the environment im in now and what i see around me. I grew up in a poor/poorer are of southern california where education was somewhat secondary to being able to pay the bills and provide food.  i know for a fact that in these areas, little kids that are 6-7 years old walk, ride their bikes to school, etc.  Also, their parents dont clear their schedule and make themselves available to help little Billy with his traumatic first day of school, because if they did clear their schedule they wouldnt get paid and and there would be no food on the table.  I think the wimpification of kids probably always existed with the well to do folks, i just wasnt around to see it.
That's a very valid point.

I had a similar childhood where both my parents had to work fulltime and there was very little flex time for them to take care of me. In fact, I think I had perfect attendance throughout my entire Elem/Middle school because my parents couldn't stay home with me if I was sick. Was it coincidence that I would only get flus during winter vacation?

Famous last words. Fast-forward 5 years: Qwerty is an attachment-parenting guru, posting his opinion of the Baby Bjorn upright chest carrier vs. a sling, co-sleeping, and teaching Baby Sign Language classes through the Irvine Parks & Rec Department. Five more, he's gifting an S.A.T. Prep book to his kid for his birthday, coaching T-Ball.... the first day of school but the last parent to say goodbye...

SoCal said:
Famous last words. Fast-forward 5 years: Qwerty is an attachment-parenting guru, posting his opinion of the Baby Bjorn upright chest carrier vs. a sling, co-sleeping, and teaching Baby Sign Language classes through the Irvine Parks & Rec Department. Five more, he's gifting an S.A.T. Prep book to his kid for his birthday, coaching T-Ball.... the first day of school but the last parent to say goodbye...

that was good - got me laughing.

Back