short term family stay

ninja88

Looking for a reasonable and safe short term family stay for 2 adults and 2 young kids (2 large beds are sufficient). need furnished (beds minimum) plus internet (must) for about 2 - 3 weeks. does anyone know of a reasonable solution in/near by irvine. obviously even cheap hotel's daily rate at 14 days is a bit steep. need to start on Aug 1st. the furnished corporate apts are too expensive. any suggestion is welcome. havent found anything on craiglist either.

ninja88 said:
Looking for a reasonable and safe short term family stay for 2 adults and 2 young kids (2 large beds are sufficient). need furnished (beds minimum) plus internet (must) for about 2 - 3 weeks. does anyone know of a reasonable solution in/near by irvine. obviously even cheap hotel's daily rate at 14 days is a bit steep. need to start on Aug 1st. the furnished corporate apts are too expensive. any suggestion is welcome. havent found anything on craiglist either.

what is their budget?  comfort inns or similar can usually get down to $50 per night in the area but you have to talk to the manager and negotiate a special rate. 

budget: prob as low as possible..at 50/nite..that would still be 350$/wk. wondering if there is something else? thanks

Always go the PL route... start here
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/15/California-Disneyland-Orange-County

Someone got the Irvine Hilton near the Airport for $50/nite, also can bid for the 3 star hotels as well...if you're not familiar with bidding, read up at the website above, lots of info... you can break apart your bids into increments with the same hotel... if you lump weekends into your weekday bids, they would not accept as much..

Another way is to apply for the SPG card and use your starpoints.. signing up and using the card for the first time gets you 10,000 starpoints... but the cheapest hotel is the Sheraton in Garden Grove for about 3500 points a night.  You might be in a time crunch also if you go this route... getting the AMEX card takes about a week, you'll have to call to get you SPG#, etc.  but maybe keep it as an option towards the end of your stay..

Good luck

bones said:
I know you said you had no luck through Craigslist, but I gotta believe there are UCI students away for the summer who are subletting out their apartments.  Have you tried searching for sublets through Craigslist or finding out where UCI students post their sublet ads.

do students actually do year long leases? at USC private landlords offered 9 month leases just for the school year.

We've done year-long leases to students... what I usually find is someone else other than the original renters staying there during the summer (a "brother)... which violates the lease terms but I let it pass (among other things like pets who belonged to a "friend").

$50 per night seems hard to find... the Candlewood over on Dyer/RedHill is like $100+/night.

sorry not familiar with priceline bidding strategy. never used it b/f. so you wouldnt want to lump the whole 14 days together?  what's the rationale? keep the frid-sund together? is then a chance that you have to move diff hotels during the stay?

ps9 said:

Someone got the Irvine Hilton near the Airport for $50/nite, also can bid for the 3 star hotels as well...if you're not familiar with bidding, read up at the website above, lots of info... you can break apart your bids into increments with the same hotel... if you lump weekends into your weekday bids, they would not accept as much..

Another way is to apply for the SPG card and use your starpoints.. signing up and using the card for the first time gets you 10,000 starpoints... but the cheapest hotel is the Sheraton in Garden Grove for about 3500 points a night.  You might be in a time crunch also if you go this route... getting the AMEX card takes about a week, you'll have to call to get you SPG#, etc.  but maybe keep it as an option towards the end of your stay..

Good luck

so far i havent come across a sublet for the whole apt..since i am with my family of 4 (2 girls), i think it might be diff to squeeze into 1 bdrm and dont even want to expose my daughters to unknow strangers..
and also, they would sublet for whole month of aug and/or sept..and i am much more short term.. but i am checking everyday..thanks

bones said:
I know you said you had no luck through Craigslist, but I gotta believe there are UCI students away for the summer who are subletting out their apartments.  Have you tried searching for sublets through Craigslist or finding out where UCI students post their sublet ads.

they must..otherwise i wouldnt have seen subleases..guess if you dont care whether you come back to the same apt next year or not, then maybe that's an option..i even thought about walking to the campus and see what they have..

qwerty said:
bones said:

do students actually do year long leases? at USC private landlords offered 9 month leases just for the school year.

irvinehomeowner said:
We've done year-long leases to students... what I usually find is someone else other than the original renters staying there during the summer (a "brother)... which violates the lease terms but I let it pass (among other things like pets who belonged to a "friend").

$50 per night seems hard to find... the Candlewood over on Dyer/RedHill is like $100+/night.

motel 6 in costa mesa comes close...they were like 65 b/f taxes..so ends up to be more like 80 or 90...not sure how motel 6 are nowadays..been years since i have been in one..

ninja88 said:
sorry not familiar with priceline bidding strategy. never used it b/f. so you wouldnt want to lump the whole 14 days together?  what's the rationale? keep the frid-sund together? is then a chance that you have to move diff hotels during the stay?

ps9 said:

Good luck

Speaking from past experience, bidding for off peak week days is easier then busy weekends, so if you include a near fully booked Saturday in your bid for the whole week, the bid will get rejected unless you satisfy the minimum price for that Saturday.  It is a rather complex system, and does require some knowledge and time.  The link above to biddingfortravel.com has many tutorials and helpful forum moderators to help you.  Yes you do run the risk of getting different hotels, but if you do your research you should be able to minimize that (i.e. re-bid for a 4 star in a zone that does not have a 4 star hotel, per the list at biddingfortravel).  I remember staying at the Hyatt Regency in SF for $47 (parking killed it), that was a few years ago, but nothing is gonna beat PL price, especially if you figure how to re-bid (increase by $5 until they accept)

ninja88,
I think it'll be very difficult if not impossible to find housing for a family of four in or around Irvine for less than $75/night and even $75 would be a great rate.  What compounds the difficulty level is that the arrival date is only a week away.  I actually can't think of any alternative except a cheap motel room or if you get lucky in a PL for a higher end hotel.  Good luck.

thanks for asking..the best i could find was 69$/nite pre tax b/c some guy knows the owner of travelodge...think you can get the same price at motel 6...maybe not the nice ones...i think these places come w/breakfast so for a family of 4, it's not too bad..

I helped a cousin rent a short term from TIC for about $5k furnished, 1 month with 3 bedroom. Decent price although it was in an older apartment. Try airbnb or something.

Back