iPhone 5

irvinehomeowner

Since RC has hijacked my iPad 2 thread with all his Android news... I figured I might as well start a new thread on the upcoming iPhone 5. There are tons of rumors going on about it and here are the list of ones I think are most relevant (you can Google for links since I'm too lazy to include them here). One or more may or may not be true:

1. October 4 is the rumored day for when Apple will announce the new iPhone (and maybe new iPods). Tim Cook will be the main presenter since Jobs has retired but I expect a surprise "one more thing" appearance from the Steve.

2. There will be two iPhones revealed, a new designed iPhone 5 and an upgraded iPhone 4S (or iPhone 4 Plus)

3. There will be only one iPhone, either one of the two above.

4. The new iPhone will be available on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint... but not T-Mobile.

5. While Oct 4 is the rumored announcement date, the actual availability date is up in the air... could be available then, 1 week later or 2 weeks later... I think Apple will figure this out once they know what the production volume/status is.

I hope they do pre-order because I find that's the easiest way to get new iProducts... waiting in line for hours is so 2000s.

Any news on the capacity?  I'm always deleting apps...  my iTunes folder is 80gb.. can they make a 100gb iPhone so i can carry all my worthless apps and 5 HD movies on my phone?

I imagine they might double capacity and go 32/64 like the current iPod Touch but they could go 128GB.

The reason they might not is because they are pushing iCloud which would minimize usage of local storage. The problem with that is it will cost you bandwidth (and some of the phone providers don't have unlimited data anymore).

bones said:
I thought the Iphone 4 Plus was for the chinese market...
Seems like Apple is making it common practice for the previous model to be the entry-level phone... sort of how the iPhone 3GS is the $99 model at AT&T (which my moms got).

I envision the 4S w/ 8GB as the entry level and then the 5 as the new model (and I think both will be available in black and white).

For RC:

It's official, Apple sent out invites for their event on October 4:

apple-iphone-event.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/27/apple-wants-to-talk-iphone-on-october-4th/

Whatever it is... the IHO family will be getting one as Mrs. IHO's old iPhone is almost dead (the kids don't even want to play on her phone anymore).

And I hope Tim Cook says "... and one more thing..." and then Steve Jobs walks out for a final goodbye.

Interesting, this article is over a month old from MacRumors.com and I missed it... this is what they think the new iPhone 5 will look like based on leaked case specs from China:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/

iphone5-4-500x375.jpg

iphone5-3-500x375.jpg

This design makes sense as it's similar to the iPad2 (the iPhone 4 design was similar to the original iPad). It also shows an elongated home button, the rumor is the increased size allows it to accommodate touch sensitive features like swiping.

As we get closer to the announcement date, the rumors of what the iPhone 5 looks like become more concrete. Two weeks ago, Case Mate accidentally leaked photos of their new cases and with confirmation of them in the AT&T inventory system, it looks like the real deal (courtesy of bgr.com):

iphone-5-design110915160526.jpg

So one guy took it a step further than my previous post... instead of just rendering them... he actually made what he thinks the iPhone 5 will look like out of aluminum and glass (also from bgr.com):

BGR-iphone-5-teaser1.jpg

BGR-IMG_02111.jpg

BGR-IMG_01811.jpg

BGR-IMG_01751.jpg

Pretty nice.

Today is the day... announcement in 5 minutes.

Check out your favorite tech blog site (I prefer Engadget.com... but since most of the guys moved over to ThisIsMyNext.com... I might go there instead).

I'll be back to post the highlights.

So far:

1. An update on their 4 businesses: Mac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad
2. New iPod Nano with single icon interface
3. Upgraded iPod Touch (looks like the Classic might be going away)
4. Review of iOS 5
5. The iPhone 4S with upgraded CPU, GPU, antenna and camera.

I expect the iPhone 5 to be the last thing.

Wow... so no "one more thing"... no iPhone 5... no surprise cameo by Steve Jobs.

Boo. Not very excited about the iPhone 4S... and now I'm wondering what's going to happen to all these case leaks.

Starlight East said:
That's it? Is that some kind of joke? Where is the iPhone5?
I guess not.

Rumors are already circulating it may be released during the March cycle with the new iPad 3... but it's so weird Apple did this.

Once they announced that the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 would still be sold and the prices of the iPhone 4S (now with a 64GB model at $399) I knew that there couldn't be an iPhone 5 because what price point would they make it so that people don't ignore the iPhone 4S.

Completely underwhelming.  I love how Apple is comparing itself to Android phones that came out 8 months ago. 

People will still flock to buy it cuz it's new and Apple.  Nexus Prime or S2 for me.

Thought at minimum it would have had a significantly larger screen. Soylent Red has the IJebus 3 and will want to update to the 4S. Couldn't imagine a new IJebus 5 coming in only 9 months from this release.

Was thinking of joining the Hive Mind collective since from what I've heard about Android's and battery life, it's not a pretty picture. My current phone is an original Droid with the manual keyboard tucked underneath the main screen. I'm well past the time to update and only the IJebus seems to have the battery life I need. Suggestions?

Soylent Green Is People.

How disappointing! I was expecting the iphone5 not this rehashed iphone4. Apple should have done a better job of managing expectations with this announcement. I was seriously considering this phone but now will wait until the Nexus/Samsung Prime and compare.

The market didn't seem happy with the news.  So no new iPhone, but an updated one.  And honestly, who is really going to use Siri?  I've never ever seen anyone use anything voice activated.  I also question Apple pushing cloud based storage/synching when most/all carriers now have bandwidth limitations.

jvna said:
And honestly, who is really going to use Siri?  I've never ever seen anyone use anything voice activated.
Android has had voice commands for a while now and I don't think it's used often. Siri may be "smarter" but there is also the whole "I don't want people to hear what I'm looking for on my phone" thing:

Siri... what is a remedy for itchy feet?"
Siri... where is the closest place I can buy Preparation H?"

I also question Apple pushing cloud based storage/synching when most/all carriers now have bandwidth limitations.
I question the Cloud period. Bandwidth limitations are even an issue for home DSL/cable users. And security is always a question when it comes to cloud storage. I guess as long as you're just storing your music and apps there it's fine... but do you sensitive documents or personal pics/videos in the cloud? Movies stars are getting their phones hacked... you know TMZ is going to start publishing stories on IndieDev's cloud account getting broken into.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Soylent Red has the IJebus 3 and will want to update to the 4S. Couldn't imagine a new IJebus 5 coming in only 9 months from this release.
Nowadays... you never know. Heck... they could announce a  new iPad 3 in November.
Was thinking of joining the Hive Mind collective since from what I've heard about Android's and battery life, it's not a pretty picture. My current phone is an original Droid with the manual keyboard tucked underneath the main screen. I'm well past the time to update and only the IJebus seems to have the battery life I need. Suggestions?
The problem with the newer Android phones is most of them are 4G and that's the main battery culprit. If you notice, the older 3G Android phones (like your Droid) probably had better life. It's one of the reasons why even after a year of 4G being out, the iPhone 4S is still going to be 3G.

Some of the newer Androids are battling that with bigger batteries (like Sprint's Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4g) but then it's a bigger phone. I would wait until the Nexus Prime comes out (on VZW which I believe is your carrier)... I hear that an announcement might come as early as next Tuesday.

Oh... so here's a rundown of what happened with the iPhone, iPod and iOS:

1. iPhone 4S -  Pre-orders on Oct 7, in stores Oct 14, $199 16GB, $299 32GB and $399 for the higher 64GB, will be available on AT&T, Verizon and now Sprint
2. iPhone 4 - 8GB will be sold for $99 on AT&T, Verizon AND Spring
3. iPhone 3GS - 8GB will be free from AT&T
4. iOS 5 - Out on Oct 12, free and will only run on iPhone 3GS and up, the last 2 generations of iPod Touch and both iPad and iPad 2.
5. iPod Touch - Out on Oct 12 in black and white, starts at 8GB for $199 and goes up to 64GB for $399
6. iPod nano - New multi-touch single icon interface is $149 for 16GB and $129 for 8GB

My original iPhone (2G) has lasted me until now.  I'll most likely get the iPhone 4S and convert my old phone to an 8GB iPod.

I paid $599 for my phone in 2007.  >_>

Back