Assi Super (Korean) Market

irvinehomeowner

So from the Mitsuwa thread:
jumpcut said:
Even more exciting, Korean supermarket chain Assi (don't forget to pronounce the 2nd syllable) is taking over the Stein Mart location in Woodbridge Village Center. http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/07/new_asian_market_to_replace_st.php
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this store (they have one in LA) and if it's better than HMart, Zion or Freshia?

I'm glad there is a place where I can get bulgogi that's closer to central Irvine... I wonder how that's going to change the clientele and the Woodbridge Village Center (although it could use the boost). Maybe they'll open up a Lollicup there (the Tapioca Express nearby isn't very good).

As of 2010, there are around 18,000 Koreans living in Irvine and I am surprised that Assi and Hmart came so late in the game for the Irvine market. We have about 9,000 Koreans (half the size of Irvine) if you combine 3 adjacent highly concentrated Asian cities in northern Atlanta: Suwanee, Duluth, and Johns Creek and there are 4 Hmarts and 2 Assis to the service this emerging Asian consumer base within a 20 mile radius.

5uh8wy.jpg

Definitely one step below than HMART - sort of like Irvine (HMART) vs Tustin (Assi).

Assi copies the locations that HMART first establishes. Case in point: HMART came in first in Niles, IL then Assi followed. HMART opens in Naperville and Assi will soon follow.

In Georgia... HMART first came in Duluth, that Assi follows, next HMART comes in Suwanee then Assi follows.. HMART comes in Johns Creek, Assi is not there yet, but will be opening a JC location in 2013.

Same in thing in Irvine... HMART came in Irvine, now Assi is copying.

Panda said:
Definitely one step below than HMART - sort of like Irvine (HMART) vs Tustin (Assi).
Bleh... I was hoping it would be better than HMart.

Eh... at least I don't have to go too far to get my Asian shopping on.

This is the second time a Von's Pavilion has become a Korean supermarket in Irvine... where is graphrix again to tell me how Irvine doesn't have more Asians than it did in the 80s?

Patstar, you crack me up! you seem to know the what's hot in K-pop these days more than the Koreans who actually live in Seoul. Dude.. I love it here and I will post up some pics of my subdivision soon.

Dude... I would love it if 50% of Irvine's Koreans packed up and moved out to Atlanta to make our numbers jump 100% to 18,000.. why?  because I want Panda's new house to appreciate 10% a year. :)

Pat Star said:
Panda said:
As of 2010, there are around 18,000 Koreans living in Irvine and I am surprised that Assi and Hmart came so late in the game for the Irvine market. We have about 9,000 Koreans (half the size of Irvine) if you combine 3 adjacent highly concentrated Asian cities in northern Atlanta: Suwanee, Duluth, and Johns Creek and there are 4 Hmarts and 2 Assis to the service this emerging Asian consumer base within a 20 mile radius.

Hyuna thinks Koreans should JUST FOLLOW you to the ATL, Panda.  How's the new house, my friend?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv_Ms7gugG4[/youtube]

Jumpcut, If all prices were equal, I too would live in Irvine over JC in a heartbeat. The difference is today... for the quality of life you get in both cities.... Johns Creek is extremely undervalued while Irvine is extremely overvalued.

jumpcut said:
Hey Panda, John's Creek looked pretty good in Samsung HD at last weekend's PGA Championship.  But I bet you didn't know that the co-leader going into Sunday's final round, Brendan Steele, lives in Irvine when he's not on tour...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7_lSP8Vc3o[/youtube]

hehegrl said:
Freshia is closed.  Went there last week and the supermarket is empty.  But i think their food court is still open. 
Must not be enough FCBs in Tustin.

That center and the one across has foot traffic problems... I think the Rent A Center closed down too.

Patstar, Jumpcut, IHO.. I promised I'd upload some pictures of my subdivision.

My subdivision feeds into these schools : data from www.schooldigger.com
Johns Creek Elementary - rank 27th out of 1176
River Watch Middle SChool - rank 3rd out of 479
Lambert High School - rank 7th out of 399

Property Taxes are 0.8% with no mello roos and my mortgage payments are fixed under $2000/month for 30 years with 20% down.

Demographics of Ethnic makeup and Income is here.http://www.johnscreekga.gov/about/about/demographics

Check out Irvine's demographics profile in 1990 and see how similar it is to demographics profile of Johns Creek today. http://www.cityofirvine.org/mm/demographics/demographics.htm

Jumpcut, I've visited Irvine probably more 50 times since college. Outside of being a bit hotter during the summers and bit cooler in the winters and not being 15 min from the beach, I find lifestyle here in Johns Creek better than living in Irvine unless you live in Shady Canyon, Turtle Rock or Turtle Ridge. I can't explain how similar it is here to what Irvine may of been like 15 years ago. 

mbn045.jpg

IHO, you are right.. only poor people live in the south where all the rich people live in the west coast. Geez... I should have known that :)

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:
Your hood has baller status  ;)
Ballers are only on the West Coast.

Hollah!

Patstar thank you...

Funny story... I was watching the video that Jumpcut posted up of you last night and my wife was saying in a disturbed voice, PANDA "What is that? What are you watching??" lol... and I was like oh.. honey... someone by the name of Jumpcut from talkirvine uploaded a video. That white guy talking with the Asian lady is supposed to be Patstar ... haha lol. :)

In a serious note....

One thing i wish i had is close friends and family living nearby here in Johns Creek as we didn't know anyone when we moved here. Whether you live in Irvine, Idaho, or Johns Creek, or Omaha, it is really is the friends and family who love you and care for you that makes wherever you live a happy place. Patstar I know you have that in Porter Ranch and you should feel very fortunate that your daughter can grow up with her family and cousins.

I'll be meeting a new friend for dinner who is my age who recently went through a divorce. I am sure he needs my encouragement and I need a new friend here in Atlanta. 

I have not doubt you will meet and make new lifelong friends... you're an amicable guy and anyone would be glad to have you as a neighbor and acquaintance.

My friends who moved to Georgia had the same issues and at first they were yearning to move back... but now they've established their own set of friends and are no longer talking about moving back to The OC.

@PatStar: Are you kidding me... Irvine never looked like that 100 years ago. There aren't many suburbs in Orange County that will have that kind of space but if you want to see some nice Irvine architecture:

5bz90x.jpg

Back