Mitsuwa Marketplace to open in Irvine

iacrenter

New-Irvine-market.jpg

http://irvinehomes.ocregister.com/2011/07/25/big-japanese-grocer-coming-to-irvine/19623/

Big Japanese grocer coming to Irvine

July 25th, 2011

posted by Jon Lansner

Mitsuwa Marketplace, the Japanese grocers claiming to be the nation?s largest, will open their second Orange County store at Regency Centers? Heritage Plaza in Irvine.

According to landlord Regency, the 13,853 square-foot market will, ?include multiple departments including high quality Japanese produce, meat, fish and groceries, Japanese house wares, take-out sushi and a food court of well-known Japanese restaurants.? Mitsuwa Marketplace has eight markets, including one in Costa Mesa.

Heritage Plaza is also home to retailers such as Ralphs, CVS/pharmacy, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Wendy?s, RadioShack and Elephant Bar Restaurant. Gregg Sadowsky of Regency said: ?The addition of Mitsuwa Marketplace further strengthens the tailored merchandise mix at Heritage Plaza by meeting the growing need for Asian products in the surrounding Irvine community.?

Mitsuwa?s addition comes amid a $10 million renovation at 226,998-square-foot Heritage Plaza. The makeover began in February and will include: a new fa?ade; canvas awnings; 200 trees; new monument and signage; and upgraded outdoor dining areas. The center was built in 1981 and acquired by Regency Centers in 1999. Regency owns 35 shopping centers in the Southern California market with 5.3 million square feet of retail space.

Posted in: Commercial Real Estate ? Retail ? Heritage Plaza ? Mitsuwa Marketplace ? Regency Centers

There's room for another grocer?  Is it going to replace Ralphs or women's gym?  Hopefully Santouka ramen will be in the food court.

Dang... we have Chinese, Korean, Persian and now a Japanese market.

Yeah... where is graphrix saying we have the same ethnic population mix as we did in the 80s.

This makes me so happy--more reasons to live in Irvine. This will cut down on my commute to Costa Mesa. I can probably walk to this market--nah, who does that in California  ;)

Irvine's big box ethnic grocery store count so far:
1) Ranch 99 x 2 locations
2) Zion Market
3) Wholesome Choice
4) H-Mart
5) Mitsuwa on the way

iacrenter said:
This makes me so happy--more reasons to live in Irvine. This will cut down on my commute to Costa Mesa. I can probably walk to this market--nah, who does that in California  ;)

Irvine's big box ethnic grocery store count so far:
1) Ranch 99 x 2 locations
2) Zion Market
3) Wholesome Choice
4) H-Mart
5) Mitsuwa on the way
All we need now is a good Polish deli.  haha

Isn't there also another Middle Eastern or Indian market in the center north of Heritage Plaza near the Persian restaurant? I also remember a small one in Heritage Plaza near where Ace Hardware used to be (where I think the Mitsuwa will be occupying).

There's a persian market next to between Caspians and the indian restaurant in the corner. 

+1 on Santouka Ramen... hopefully with not as long of line to order.

If it's going to be at Ace hardware, parking would be worse then at the Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, hopefully some sort of parking garage can be built, but where can you put it?

ps99472 said:
If it's going to be at Ace hardware, parking would be worse then at the Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, hopefully some sort of parking garage can be built, but where can you put it?

+1 on parking congestion. It is already bad now. I can imagine the crush when this place opens.

I doubt a garage is going up in HP... no room unless they raze the middle area where Quiznos is.

I believe there is parking in the back.. but not sure how much.

The sign is up, looks like a dual entrance approach. It has it's own parking lot in the back but still pretty small, maybe it'll have underground parking like other Mitsuwas? 

Here's what's in store for us:

34a908d5.jpg

Shoyu Ramen

d2699c57.jpg

Chashu Bowl (my favorite)

aeaae4b7.jpg

Takoyaki (kids love this as it "moves")

a0c1b537.jpg

Spicy Miso Ramen paired with below

9d716f99.jpg

Toroniku (cheek meat, really tender, if you order this, you'll never order the regular chashu, so be warned)

These were taken beyond the Orange Curtain (gasp!) at the Torrance Mitsuwa.  We should see similar if not exactly the same food court here.  Hopefully the eighties style table cloth won't make it... 

The difference between poor students and poor homeowners is the homeowners eat the ramen at a restaurant.

homer_simpson said:
yum! no more traveling to Costa Mesa for Ramen... or to Fountain Valley for Shen Seng Gumi (SP?)

Mitsuwa in Irvine is NOW open!!! It is a soft opening and none of the food court restaurants are open yet. The square footage feels half the size of their Costa Mesa loction. They seem to carry most of the same items as their other stores including: fresh fish, meat, produce, and snacks.

Grand opening will still be this Saturday--good luck getting a parking spot.

But on the more important issues--who will be their food court tenants:
1) Santouka
2) Misasa (?)
3) GoSquared2 (takoyaki & taiyaki)
4) Hamada Ya (bread bar & coffee)

Another unique aspect of the Irvine location is the Marche--demonstration kitchen. Maybe they can bring an Iron Chef in for some food prepping.

156uvd0.jpg

j90fvl.jpg

259yahl.jpg

bef2c6.jpg

2ziyixy.jpg

mkopt.jpg

r23x1l.jpg

291i6f8.jpg

Back