Quick moves ins new constructions

the.irvine

What are typical things you can negotiate with a builder of they have standing inventory they want to get rid of?

I would say ask for everything and see what they say yes to.
My philosophy: never leave a stone unturned
Don?t forget to bring a broker for that: max rebate

eyephone said:
Don?t forget to bring a broker for that: DONE

What is definition of everything here? Can you please elaborate?

the.irvine said:

So from personal experience when New Home Company was trying to unload one of their less desirable lots to us on Big Oak in Cressa, they went up to 15k design center credits and $25k broker coop initially when we were unsure.  But don't show too much interest to your sales person, because that's what we did by dropping our EMD and they eventually scaled back to 25k design center credits (since everything is marked up 2x, 10k is only worth 5k really) and $15k broker coop.  We came the next day to pick up our check and never came back. 

the.irvine said:
eyephone said:
Don?t forget to bring a broker for that: DONE

So when you want to find deals with Builders, and negotiate on standing inventory, there must be some strategies that you must leverage. 1- What is the timing of the standing inventory that they must closed. Knowing when they must get it off their book is very important. Typically, each quarter, builders have closed sale reporting and if the inventory standing too long not only that they have to pay additional taxes, they lose that closed sale reporting. End of the year is very important for them. Or end of the construction tract is equally important for them. So know this first. 2 -Take a look at the standing inventory and tour the house. Take note of items that is not included, such can can-light in the second story if not there ask for that. Can light on second floor can easily cost you 5K for all the room on the second floor. 3-Ask for builder credit, once they agree on the credit, don't use it for upgrade, turn around and ask them to reduce the price and have it in writing. 4-Ask for higher broker co-op. 5-Ask for landscaping , this might be a stretch. 5- Ask for a couple of 40 box trees, each of this can easily set you back by 1K plus labor is not cheap. If you have guts, ask them when they closed the sale office to give you all the decor. Of course make friend with them will help alot.

the.irvine said:
What are typical things you can negotiate with a builder of they have standing inventory they want to get rid of?

We came into a cancelled contract on our previous home and I negotiated 40k in design center credit. They tend to give design center credit because price reductions would be more alarming for previous, current, and future buyers.

BruinDoc said:
the.irvine said:

We came into a cancelled contract on our previous home and I negotiated 40k in design center credit. They tend to give design center credit because price reductions would be more alarming for previous, current, and future buyers.

True, builder would rather not lower price. But "IF" you get them in a cooling environment, nothing is out of the question. Are we there yet? Nope, maybe after summer heading into fall and winter would be ideal.

Back