Are there any schools for highly gifted children in Irvine and surrounding area?

Are you talking about elementary or high school?

Two out of my three were considered gifted, but I noticed that GATE didn't really provide them anything extraordinary, so I had them participate in outside enrichment activities.

At the high school level, there are schools that have better AP/IB programs than others.

Not sure how valuable k-6 gifted programs really are. I'd say keep them in normal school for normal socialization, with GATE. Any seminar classes offered? This was nice because you have a small group of gifted kids that stick together for a few years in elementary, while being at a normal school and learning normal social skills. In the real world the smartest guy in the room usually won't beat the more likeable guy.

Once you hit middle school, get them in honors classes and accelerated math.

In high school things now actually start to matter. Get in as many AP classes as possible, and any GATE/Seminar classes they offer for freshman year. This will more than prep them for college, while keeping them socialized with a good crowd, and learning a ton.

If they get overwhelmed, swap a few AP classes for honors. AP Euro was by far the hardest class I've ever taken, including college classes, but what I learned was basically useless. Would be better to downgrade honors history and focus effort on AP physics/chem if struggling with workload.

This is just based on anecdotal experience going through gifted programs in elementary and AP heavy class-loads in high school. Worked out nicely for me and everyone I know, but results may differ.

Back