Downsides to living in Irvine

jwblue

I live in San Diego right now.  I am waiting for my opportunity to get out of this town and move to Irvine which seems like heaven to me.  I feel so comfortable there when I visit.

A lot of times though people do not see the downsides of living somewhere until they actually live in that community.  What are some of the downsides of living in Irvine?

jwblue said:
I live in San Diego right now.  I am waiting for my opportunity to get out of this town and move to Irvine which seems like heaven to me.  I feel so comfortable there when I visit.

A lot of times though people do not see the downsides of living somewhere until they actually live in that community.  What are some of the downsides of living in Irvine?

San Diego is better than Irvine because it's essentially a bigger Irvine.  But for the most part, they're not that different from each other.  What issues do you have with SD?  I'm sure those same issues will probably be here in Irvine as well. 

paydawg said:
jwblue said:

San Diego is better than Irvine because it's essentially a bigger Irvine.  But for the most part, they're not that different from each other.  What issues do you have with SD?  I'm sure those same issues will probably be here in Irvine as well.

Depends on what part of SD.

paydawg said:
jwblue said:

Could not be more different in my eyes. 

San Diego is full of people with sociopathic traits and unbearable to be around.  It isn't not cleanest city either.  Irvine is immaculate with friendly people that mind their own business.

I've lived in San Diego and Irvine. San Diego has a lot more diversity of neighborhoods so my generalizations will not apply across the board.

Kids / Nightlife
San Diego: Better if you don't have kids (nightlife)
Irvine: Better if you have kids (parks / sports fields)

Weather
San Diego: Better weather (especially closer to the ocean)
Irvine: Okay weather (better if you are south of the 405)

Traffic
San Diego: Traffic ok unless you work around the Qualcomm area
Irvine: Traffic ok if you live & work in close proximity

Things to do
There is a lot to do in both areas

paperboyNC said:
I've lived in San Diego and Irvine. San Diego has a lot more diversity of neighborhoods so my generalizations will not apply across the board.

Kids / Nightlife
San Diego: Better if you don't have kids (nightlife)
Irvine: Better if you have kids (parks / sports fields)

Weather
San Diego: Better weather (especially closer to the ocean)
Irvine: Okay weather (better if you are south of the 405)

Traffic
San Diego: Traffic ok unless you work around the Qualcomm area
Irvine: Traffic ok if you live & work in close proximity

Things to do
There is a lot to do in both areas

Please tell me what are the things to do in Irvine.

Mety said:

There is a lot to do if you have kids
Parks: Dozens of city parks and neighborhood parks
Pools: Neighborhood pools (my last HOA in San Diego had no pool)
Beach: Only 15min to the beach
Disneyland: Only 20min away
Kids indoor play areas: Pretend City, Big Air Trampoline, Playland Cafe, Pump it Up, We play Loud, Luv2Play, Scooter's Jungle, My Gym, Rockin Jumpin, etc.
Kids sports leagues

Our problem is usually too much to do, no problem finding things the kids want to do.

jwblue said:
paydawg said:
jwblue said:

San Diego is full of people with sociopathic traits and unbearable to be around.  It isn't not cleanest city either.  Irvine is immaculate with friendly people that mind their own business.

Thankfully, you won't find any of that here on Talk Irvine. :)

Liar Loan said:
jwblue said:
paydawg said:
jwblue said:

Thankfully, you won't find any of that here on Talk Irvine. :)

IywcVhR.gif

There are no cons to living in Irvine other than housing is too expensive.

The biggest pro to me is location, central between LA, San Diego and Riverside (not like I go to those places, but many others do :) ).

If you like living in SD and you have family/friends (and work) close to Irvine, you'll like living in Irvine... it will just cost more.

paperboyNC said:
Mety said:

There is a lot to do if you have kids
Parks: Dozens of city parks and neighborhood parks
Pools: Neighborhood pools (my last HOA in San Diego had no pool)
Beach: Only 15min to the beach
Disneyland: Only 20min away
Kids indoor play areas: Pretend City, Big Air Trampoline, Playland Cafe, Pump it Up, We play Loud, Luv2Play, Scooter's Jungle, My Gym, Rockin Jumpin, etc.
Kids sports leagues

Our problem is usually too much to do, no problem finding things the kids want to do.

Anything adults can do? I appreciate those lists for kids though. I gave Thank You.

-Massage parlors
-Hookers in most apartment complexes throughout the city for convenient access

qwerty said:
Burn That Belly said:
qwerty said:
-Massage parlors

Speaking from prior experience I presume.

I have friends in low places

omg hilarious!  ;D
Someone said housing in Irvine is expensive but isn't SD expensive too for much older homes. At least our expensive homes are somewhat newer, less repairs...
I've looked at homes outside of Irvine because you can get so much more house (and yard) in other places but I keep coming back to Irvine. You can't beat the cleanliness, amenities, quality of schools, central location etc.

Paris said:
qwerty said:
Burn That Belly said:
qwerty said:
-Massage parlors

Speaking from prior experience I presume.

I have friends in low places

omg hilarious!  ;D
Someone said housing in Irvine is expensive but isn't SD expensive too for much older homes. At least our expensive homes are somewhat newer, less repairs...
I've looked at homes outside of Irvine because you can get so much more house (and yard) in other places but I keep coming back to Irvine. You can't beat the cleanliness, amenities, quality of schools, central location etc.

I think it comes down to some people are fans of master planning, and some people aren't.  San Diego is definitely more varied and interesting than Irvine is.  I used to like Irvine in the 90's, but once they started down the path of high density development I stopped being a fan.  I would prefer older areas with big backyards and stable neighborhoods, without an HOA breathing down my neck.

Back