Orange County valedictorians for the Class of 2018

WTTCHMN said:
If you want your kid to be valedictorian, go to Troy.  They have about twenty.

How can you have 20 valedictorians?  Is it because they all tied for the highest possible GPA?

Liar Loan said:
WTTCHMN said:

How can you have 20 valedictorians?  Is it because they all tied for the highest possible GPA?

Yea, or its like within 100th of a point.  Some schools truly believe the more the merrier.
I think TUSD doesn't do valedictorians - maybe that's why no Beckman.

Liar Loan said:
WTTCHMN said:

if everyone is a valedictorian, is anyone really a valedictorian?

At my HS graduation, the valedictorian gave the commencement speech.  I suppose they have to curtail that when there are 20 of them.

At my high school, anyone with a 4.0+ GPA (weighted) was considered a "valedictorian".  The person with the highest GPA was called Scholar of Scholars. 

bones said:
Liar Loan said:
WTTCHMN said:

Yea, or its like within 100th of a point.  Some schools truly believe the more the merrier.
I think TUSD doesn't do valedictorians - maybe that's why no Beckman.

Yup, Beckman doesn?t have valedictorians. One school from this article had 117 valedictorians.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/the-new-trend-in-validating-top-students-make-them-all-valedictorians/2015/07/12/d9a1ba76-2033-11e5-aeb9-a411a84c9d55_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3a0c300a20f0

I?m surprised how many students are wasting their talents by going to UCLA, vs a powerhouse school like USC. I can only assume they didn?t get in :)

qwerty said:
I?m surprised how many students are wasting their talents by going to UCLA, vs a powerhouse school like USC. I can only assume they didn?t get in :)
Sounds completely unbiased ::) To each his own, but they obviously have very sound judgement selecting UCLA imho. 8)

I picked a UC School instead of USC because it was so much more expensive.  Like 4X more expensive if I remember correctly.

ocsamom said:
Have people seen this article? I just don't necessarily understand why somebody would go to Yale just to become a doctor. There are so many affordable alternatives. I'd rather my kid go to Yale for medical school than go for undergrad.
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-high-school-valedictorians-dont-become-really-successful-2017-5

The article is stating some pretty obvious things, isn't it?
Valedictorians get the best grades.

But life is not about grades.

I happen to be a prior valedictorian who went to an Ivy and am in one of those professions. The "average" people at my college went into medicine, corporate Big Law, investment banking, management consulting, hedge funds, etc. Many at midcareer are partners, managing directors, heads of departments, etc.  Dime a dozen-- not "cool" or interesting at Reunion time, but generally have conventionally successful upper middle class to lower upper class lives.  They are generally not "disrupters" by nature, since they achieved success through the well-established tracks.

Nowadays, the rapidly changing new economy gives huge rewards to those "disrupters" who make it big, but you never hear about the many many other people who tried and failed in their start-ups, etc. There is reporting bias.

Its like being a pro-athlete or movie star--many aspire, only a few make it, but winner takes all and it seems really glamorous, (whereas the rest are waiting tables or driving for Uber) versus professions which are somewhat "boring", safe, and but have a much higher overall chance of achieving a comfortable life and moderate level of success.  The world needs all types.

I guess my take home lesson as a parent now is to accept my kid for the type of person that they are.

Back