Sports Gambling

eyephone

Supreme Court lets states legalize sports gambling

The Supreme Court cleared the way on Monday for states to legalize sports betting, striking down a 1992 federal law that had prohibited most states from authorizing sports betting.

The 6-3 ruling is a victory for New Jersey and other states who have considered allowing sports gambling as a way to encourage tourism and tax revenue. The NCAA, NFL and NBA had backed the federal prohibition.

The court said the federal law violated constitutional principles limiting the federal government from controlling state policy, unconstitutionally forcing states to prohibit sports betting under their own laws.

"The legalization of sports gambling requires an important policy choice, but the choice is not ours to make," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the 6-3 opinion. "Congress can regulate sports gambling directly, but if it elects not to do so, each state is free to act on its own."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn.../sports-betting-ncaa-supreme-court/index.html

The conservatives sided with the states, while the liberals sided with the giant corporations (NFL, MLB, NCAA).

So if CA says yes, can I setup a small store front in Woodbury Town Center that has a big board with all the lines and takes sports bets from patrons who just walk in off the street with cash? 

This could be very lucrative.  I need a Mandarin speaking partner for all the FCB $$$.  I'll be buying in Shady Canyon in no time.

aquabliss said:
So if CA says yes, can I setup a small store front in Woodbury Town Center that has a big board with all the lines and takes sports bets from patrons who just walk in off the street with cash? 

This could be very lucrative.  I need a Mandarin speaking partner for all the FCB $$$.  I'll be buying in Shady Canyon in no time.

I imagine you'll need a special city permit as well. Poker has been legal in California for decades and Irvine has no poker room.

paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:

I imagine you'll need a special city permit as well. Poker has been legal in California for decades and Irvine has no poker room.

no poker room that you know about  ;)

Back